Eye Care Expert Forum
Which monofocal IOL would you recommend?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I'm scheduled for cataract surgery in September, 2010.  I've decided to opt for superior distance vision instead of freedom from glasses.  I would love to hear your thoughts, both negative and positive about any of the monofocal lens currently available  My doctor is comfortable using the Alcon WF.

Also interested in hearing about your experiences and thoughts about mini-monovision.

Thanks.
Dear Robrtr,

These are definitely reasonable options for you.  It is hard to assess what lens is best for you as the evaluation process involves an examination, a complete history of learning the activities you do and for those you desire to see the best.  I would recommend that you read further about what your doctor has discussed and then, speak with him further, if you have additional questions.  This is common.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
There is little difference among the aspheric monofocal IOLs of the major manufacturers, (although there's plenty of marketing hype).  Go with the brand your surgeon recommends.  His/her experience with that lens can increase the accuracy of the IOL power predictions.
Thanks for the feedback.  You're right about the marketing hype.  It makes it just about impossible for the layman to evaluate.  Best to leave it to the surgeon.

Regards.