Eye Care Community
White Eye Discharge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

White Eye Discharge

I have been experiencing an oily white discharge from the outside corner of my right eye for the past five or six years. It occurs with frustrating regularity and I am constantly having to rub my eye in order to clear the condition. It can reoccur within the space of 10-15 minutes. I have had my tear ducts checked, and they are apparently working fine. The ophthalmologist has told me he could see an excessive build up of dirt in the eye and prescribed me steroids (eye drops) which did absolutely nothing to help the condition. I was also told to use a cotton bud to clean around the eyes daily which just made them sore and so I stopped doing that. A subsequent visit to my GP resulted in a long lecture on unrelated eye disorders, although he did say it may be symptomatic of a very mild form of eczhma because I have slightly dry skin on my cheeks, and I know my father ocassionaly suffers from eczhma - although he does not have the eye problem. Because the condition is not an infection, and not threatening my ability to see, it has not been taken seriously and I feel like I've been fobbed off with prescriptions for treatments that don't work. Is this something I will have to live with for the rest of my life, or is there some kind of operation or treatment that can cure this condition? It's seriously affecting my social confidence and I feel constantly paranoid that my eye is gunking up because it usually is. I'm at the end of my tether and I just don't know what to do. Any help would be massively appreciated. Thank you.
See a Eye MD ophthalmologist that specializes in external eye disease and corneal disease. Find one at www.aao.org

JCH III MD
Hi there, I was wondering if you still have this issue with white discharge coming out of your corner of your eye?  My husband has had this strange issue for years. We thought it was a food sensitivity or allergy but we couldn't pin it down. I just give him the heads up that he has milk coming out of his eyes, and he wipes:)  We finally found out recently why and what to do to get rid of it  It has nothing to do with infection or disorder in his case. He is severely deficient in magnesium and had too much calcium. Too make a long story short, he is now reducing calcium intake, and increasing magnesium (through liquid magnesium chloride) trans dermal which has resolved milky discharge in corners of eyes, but also other symptoms & issues.     This discovery has completed the final stages of him finally conquering chronic fatigue after years of research,&  following a combination of specific protocols.(He had a severe chest infection 15 years ago that caused his chronic fatigue)  It is very enlightening and we are happy to finally connect the dots, especially knowing how this relates to heart, prostrate, etc.  This info may not be helpful for you, but I sure wish we had this info years ago. Perhaps it might trigger something you and your MD can work with.
-