Eye Care Community
White Spots On Eyelids

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

White Spots On Eyelids

Hi. I have noticed that I have had these "white spots" on my eyelids for a couple of months. I didn't notice them until one of my family members told me. So I started to take Cortaid and used it carefully on my eyelids and I have been applying it for a couple of days now (3 days to be exact). And I don't want to go to a dermatologist because they are expensive and I just wanted to take some OTC medicine and hope to find out that it might get rid of those marks. Now, people have said that it might be stress marks and I do get stress often. I do try to relax, I eat healthy meals, and I try to get plenty of sleep. But I just want to know what is causing these white marks. Please help me !!
Thank you.
Tags: eyelids
Stress will not cause these. There are a number of things that might cause "white spots" from dermatologic disease to cholesterol deposits (xanthalasma) to oil gland problems or skin tags.

If they really concern you you will have to spring for either a dermatologist or ophthalmologist looking at them.

JCH III MD
Hello i have a similar question about those spots on the eyelids. My dad has some beige or light orange spots on the eyelids and some times they are more noticeable. His been having them for about a year and I want to know if this is something he should be concerned about. thank you for your time.
Its one of those things that you have to look at to tell. you dad should be having his eyes examined yearly by an MD eye physician (ophthalmologist).

JCH III MD
Is there any cheaper method that can reduce the visibility of these marks without seeing a specialist or gp?

thanks
If the white spots on your eye lids are little hard bumps, like white heads or pimples, the problem could be too "heavy or rich" moisturizer. One point, for several weeks, I used a night cream full time (thinking it would nourish my skin better) but ended up with several pimples around my eyes. After stopping the cream, the pimples eventually went away. I've read about this problem several times in magazines. I hope your problem is as simple.....Good luck.....,
If the white spots are on the flat part of the eyelid above and behind the eyelashes they could indeed be blocked Meibomian glands and using Occusoft Foam Eyelid cleaner or TheraTears SteriLid foam eyelid cleaner might clear them up. These are over the counter products.

JCH MD
I have only one very small white head type mark, on the bottom eyelid below the bottom eye lashes. It's been there for about a year and is the same size and hasn't changed since it first appeared. Is this the same as having multiple white spots?
What would happen if you just left them?
If you use the archives and search feature you will see that complaints about small white bumps on the lid are extremely common. Rarely are these serious. If it remains small and does not change in appearance generally nothing to worry about.

JCH MD
I have the white marks too. At first just on one eye, now on both, they look like a rice crispy!  I had my Cholesterol checked and it was fine.  Should I see a dermatologist or a eye doctor?
i have a white spot which i noticed few days back on my lower eyelid..outer corner..its not bumpy but flat..what could it be..right now travelling so can not see a doctor..please advise..i am worried..is it luekemia? i am almost 50 years old..
I also just started to have a white spot on my right eye lid. I am 29, never had any vision problems, and do not wear any glasses. I became very scared of it, and went to see an eye doc. instead he suggested me to put a hot jelly pad on it several times until it disappear. Well that never happened. I just read your suggestions and bought the  TheraTears SteriLid Eyelid Cleanser, hope it helps.
Thanks a lot!
Annie
Best of luck.  Note you went to Loyola in Chicago. Good school, I got my MD Degree from Loyola Stritch School of Medicine.

JCH MD
I started to see these things on my eyelid about 2 years ago.  It started on my right eye first & now has spread to my left eye.  I not only have these spots/bumps by my eyes but also on both sides of my nose.  I eat healthy, don't have cholesterol, but I smoke.  I don't use a lot of body lotions as I have an allergy to perfumes & such.  Is there anything that I can do to get rid of these things?