Eye Care Expert Forum
White Stringy Discharge Coming From Eyes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

ok for the past month almost my eyes have been really irritated like a gritty feeling or that theres always something in there. Sometimes i will look and i can see white stringy stuff in my eye and when i take it out it keeps coming. I don't know what this is so i was wondering if someone could help me out?
Likely the result of dry eyes and possibly allergies. Other causes like conjuctivits or keratitis could also contribute.  You definitely need to see an ophthalmologist as soon as possible.  Try artificial tears in the meantime.
could it still be allergies even if i im not allegic to anything that iknow of? Also i get this pain towards the inner corner of my eye and the skin is  red and looks swollen. It gets worse at night time i find when im ready for bed. and its a relief when i close my eyes. I really appreciate your time!
Before I had this problem with my eye I had strep throat. But now I've got a bad cough with runny nose. Does this sound like bacterial conjunctivitis
You likely have mucus fishing syndrome, possibly from allergies or dry eye.  You need to break the cycle of puting your fingers in your eyes, and the mucus strings will eventually go away.  Look it up, and seek the care of an eyeMD.