Eye Care Community
White lines in upper left quadrant when eyes closed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I was diagnosed with a macular hole and had a vitrectomy on Dec 17.  The surgeon said the gas bubble is gone and the hole is repaired.  When I look with that eye, my vision is hazy across the entire eye but seems darker in the upper left quadrant of the eye, next to my nose (right eye).  When I close my eyes, i can see white-lined designs in that darkened area.  It is not visual migraine, since I had had that several times in previous years.  I came out of the surgery with increased eye pressure (2 weeks after surgery) and was prescribed drops (lumigan) , but when I was examined 3 weeks later the pressure was normal so I was told to stop the drops.  When I mentioned the darker area, he said it was probably the retina adjusting to the surgery.  At that time I did not have the lines, but would lee something like water drops moving down a window.  Now I have white lines/curves in random patterns in that area when I close my eyes and that area appears lighter than the rest of my closed eye which is dark.

Any clues?
Use the search feature and archives to read about macular hole surgery. Note that even surgery that closes the hole and keeps it from getting bigger often does not restore perfect vision and most people have some "metamorphopsia" (blurred or distorted vision).

Discuss with your surgeon. Ask your surgeon for an amsler grid, to explain how to test your eye then test both eyes ideally daily to made sure things are not worsening.

JCH MD