Eye Care Expert Forum
White pupils in photos?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

White pupils in photos?
I've recently been sent some photos of my friends 3 month old baby and can't help but notice that in many of the photos (most taken over a short 2 day period) the baby has very white pupils. In other photos however his eyes look fine to me.

http://vvcap.net/db/4SBRAoKkt8He6KjFdFqD.htp << these are photos but i'm unsure if the link will post here. (sorry some of the images are small but hopefully you can see what I mean.

I'm looking for advice, is this the camera flash do you think? are white pupils normal for a small baby? or should I approach my friend with my concerns?
It's hard to tell from those photos and sometimes at certain angles you can get that kind of reflex; however, since the consequences could be very severe if it is truly something out of the ordinary, I would say an exam by a pediatric ophthalmologist is a must.  Talk to your friend right away and have them bring it up with their PCP and get a referral to a pediatric ophthalmologist.  Given the dire consequences of not doing anything if it is truly leukocoria, an ASAP dilated exam by a pediatric ophthalmologist is a must.

HV