Eye Care Expert Forum
White reflection in one eye, red in the other

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

We took a picture of our 5 year old last night outside, it was very dark. She has a white reflection in her right eye and red in the left. in the other pics there was no reflection at all, no red or white. Is that something to worry about?
I have heard and read stories about this where it turned out to be something serious.
my kids don't have insurance, so it would be very inportant to know where to start first.
Thank you so much for your reply
It is extremely important that you speak first with your child's pediatrician and explain what you have noticed.  You will then need to make an appointment for your daughter with a pediatric ophthalmologist.  This can possibly be a sign of a significant problem and it is completely necessary for her to be evaluated.  The possible causes include things like amblyopia, cataract, corneal scar, retinal detachement, retinal scar, strabismus and even rarely retinoblastoma.  So, you can see how important it is to have her checked out with a pediatric ophthalmologist.  I pray everything turns out well.

Michael Kutryb, MD
Kutryb Eye Institute
Titusville, Edgewater, FL
321-267-2020
Thank you so much for your reply, I also  hope everything will turn out OK. I will call the doctors office first thing in the morning.
Once again, Thank you and God Bless