White see-through haze in both eyes when I move them. Advice please!
35 male. This suddenly occurred 6 weeks ago while I was teaching my students in class. It definitely is a new thing.

Hard to explain, but it happens when I move my eyes left to right along with looking at something bright in the background.  As with my classroom with the bright windows in the background. Students in front of the window are quite dull indeed. But can occur in front of a bright laptop or watching TV too.

Depending on the brightness of the background, this white haze takes up 50% of my vision and flashes across in the OPPOSITE direction to the movement of my eyes. It does mimic floaters in the fact that they appear to keep moving for a millisecond longer after I stop moving my eyes. But they disappear a millisecond after I stop moving my eyes. They never block my vision as they disappear! Its more of one big haze in each eye. Not many smaller ones.

This began at a time where I was getting strange pressure headaches and some stress too. Occurred a week after a CT scan for the sinuses (all normal) and a week of anti-biotic usage and steroid nasal spray for suspected ear infection (ENT later found no problems with my ears). So I had an MRI of the head, all normal. Then I had my eyes checked by an optometrist. Initially without dilation, then the following week with dilation which included retinal photography and "puff test" of the eye for glaucoma.

Results all normal.

Still noticing this, another optometrist recently conducted a test with an OCT scanner. All normal.

I just came back from a skiing holiday and noticed the more usual floater symptoms (although ones I have never seen before) of BLACK squiggly lines and blotches in vision when looking at the snow.

Other possibly non related symptoms are dry eyes, noticeable blood vessels moving in towards the iris from all sides of the sclera. Random sandy feeling in eyes which at times appear to come from one of these blood vessels. Tender temples (although better recently) and muscle tightness in neck and under chin. Severe tinnitus!

Recent other tests: blood work including C-Reactive Protein and a Liver function test. Normal.

Thanks for reading my crazy rantings! Its just I have never heard of anyone discuss such floaters. Usually only small defined shaped ones. Advice would be appreciated.
Btw, is stabbings the right word? It's like a knife cutting in my head you know.. Since a few weeks I have no pressure anymore but a lot of stabbings and headaches.. and the problem with the eye. Help me!!
Ahhhh yes I get this pain when I swallow too, on one side! This is what makes me think its muscle/nerve related. I have had scans done on my neck too about this and all is fine. Don't panic! Unless you are throwing up, falling over or passing out I wouldn't worry about a tumor.

Try what Douglas recommends here. He helped me with some good exercises.
http:// yhoo.it/QFjiCW
Sas, I'm concerned about these veins I see in my eyes. Do you see any in the whites of your eyes at all? I don't know if its just my hypochondria or not. I don't know if I've always had them. Now all I do when I talk to people is look at their eyes!! Bit I only see it in old people.
OK I went back to the optometrist to check (it was free) and he said all is fine. The veins could be just from tired eyes. Oh well, if he's not concerned that's good. I'll keep my "eyes" out for these veins getting bigger though! I take a photo of them every week like a crazy person.
I'm sorry for this late comment. I really had to laugh about the photos you take every week! I'm sorry for that. haha.  I recognize that so much.
I think i'm going to live in Australia, if everything is free there and no long waitings!
But I also think the veins are normal. I have them too. Did the optometrist said anything about the haze?
neeein, das ist Deutschland fantastisch. sie haben die Münchner Bierfest!

No long waitings? Well there are very long waitings for anyone good here in Australia. You have a better hospital system in Germany.

The UK is worse though. I know a friend of my German family in Paderborn who lived in UK. He would fly over to Germany for his monthly dialysis treatment. Germany had new machines and better service than UK.

No the optometrist said nothing about the haze, as he had seen me before. He dilated my eyes again and had a thorough look. He said use eye drops. Have you tried these? You need non-preservative ones.  

He said he has these veins too sometimes. But I looked at his eyes and he had lots of veins! HA.

As I sit here my neck is seizing up, when I turn it cracks! So I try not spend much time on the laptop... its the killer. I called my brother and we are going to exercise at the gym together. I think I need to build up my neck muscles.
Ha, this is a funny read: http://tarotcanada.org/_Cocoons_and_fibers.pdf It discusses how floaters were unknown not long ago and how people thought they were ghosts or unnatural beings!

Page 3 reads:
1) Spots and shades  
In “A Separate Reality”, for example, CC perceives “something like a
moth or a spot in my retina” that swept across from right
to left between himself and the fire he was looking at;
when he looks again, the same shadow glides in the
opposite direction. This appearance, reminiscent of the
movements of eye floaters, is called a “being” by DJ, and
later, significantly, a “bubble” (Castaneda, 1971).
Aha, well than i'll stay.. You don't know what you got until it's gone.

But I have this veins too, it's really normal and almost everyone has them.
Have you tried the eye drops already? My neck cracks a lot too when I move it!

The last days I have a lot of heart beats in my eye, and sometimes it hurts a little bit and sometimes I feel pressure on it. Do you think it's notable that my haze isn't in the opposite direction? I'm very panicked the last days, because I still think of a brain tumor.. Do you think I need to go for a 2nd opinion?

And when I lay in bed. I hear my heart beat in my ear. Do you have this too?
Having exact same symptoms after taking Cipro .... Have you had any resolution?
Forgot to mention.    Optho said allergic conjunctivitis, but definitely not. Have been communicating with some members on the fluoroquinolone boards with similar symptoms all brought on by antibiotics.
Go see an optometrist first Sas. Its more unusual to have the floaters going in the opposite direction I found, but they say floaters can go either way. So don't worry about the direction bit. Is the headache 24/7? I had the headache above my eye for 3 weeks straight.

Yep, I can hear my heart beat in my ear all the time. My tinnitus is so bad lately and my ears feel blocked. I am off to the doc again tomorrow so see if I have an ear infection or something.
Hi TvTipp. So tell us exactly what you are seeing? So you got these "floaters" after taking antibiotics?? Interesting as mine came on after taking a very short dosage of them too, although a different kind.

Although I can never be 100% sure I didn't have these before, I am 99% sure. I noticed them after taking antibiotics, a CT scan of the sinuses, steroid nasal spray, having a strange sinus infection and stress.

One of the above caused it I believe. Which one is anyone's guess.
Hey can you all do a test for me.

Take your laptop, if you have one, or turn on the TV in a very dark room. Black maybe. But try and get a white screen (like Word). Focus on the right side of the screen. Then move your eyes to the other side of the screen. Then back, and forth.

Do you see the white haze move across your vision?
Yes cloudburster, when I do the test you said I see a black haze on the screen. I have this also in a bright room. But when I look to the TV and going with my eyes to the other side, it's a white one.

But my headaches aren't 24/7, it isn't a headache but stabbings. I have them on the same side as where I see the haze in my eye (right), but not the whole day and not every day. So it can't be a tumor, right?
And I went to the optometrist already a few weeks ago, it was all fine.
Doesn't sound anything like a tumor. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/mindyourself/stayinghealthy/whathappens/brain.shtml

Thanks for doing the test. Sorry I didn't know you had seen a optometrist. Well that's good news!

Now we wait for TVTipp to do the eye test :)
Did the test - I see it too
So do you see it go in the opposite direction or same direction of eye movement? Hazy white or hazy dark?
Off to try physiotherapy tomorrow
Same direction and cloudy white
I think we have the same. Are they outside or in bright light black?
How old are you and what for tests have you already done?
Did you went to the GP? What did he say?

@Cloudburster: Let me know what the physiotherapy said!
Sas, well a very nice young lady worked on my back and gave me acupuncture on the right side trapezius. She noticed the tight muscles. I didn't mention my eye problem... one step at a time :-)

I have been more relaxed this week and I haven't noticed the floaters as much, some days not at all, even in the classroom. So I am still undecided if they have been there all along and its all got to do with stress. Only if we can find others who see what we see may solve the mystery. Maybe I should start a new thread asking for others to try this? EDIT: I just did :-)

By the way, I have noticed that my left eye has a double floater. One goes one way and the other goes opposite (with my eye movement).
What's the new thread? I would like to follow that.

I haven't also noticed the floaters as much the last time, but still always have the haze. It's black the most time. It feels like I have a lot of water in my both eyes, it plops sometimes. But the haze is in one.

Well let me know the url of the new topic!
New topic: http://bit.ly/RC4eXf
Hi Cloudburster,

I was looking for 'moving cloud in the eye' and came across your post. I have a similar problem and I was wondering how you are getting on.
Hey there

Wow its been so long since I wrote this. I have since found lots of people with the same thing. No one has reported anything to worry about. A lot of extravagant tests done by some (including me) and nothing found. No changes as in it hasn't got worse, or better for that matter.

What I think is that it has always been there and we have seen this suddenly due to stress. Most of us have had some stress leading up to seeing this haze.

I now don't worry about it and I really don't see it any more unless I look for it.

Keep well. I'm always around if you need to chat more. :)
Hi, I am so glad I found this thread. I have a huge white haze that goes across my vision field in opposite direction... it is really huge and annoying. Sometimes even if I don't move my eyes I see it blocking my vision, after blinking it disappears. I visited an ophthalmologist he checked my retina and gave me some tests - he did not find anything suspicious, but this haze is really bothering me. I don't know what to do. Also, I have a lot of floaters, but they are not even near being as annoying as this white haze. Is there any way to get rid of that?
Hi, I had to comment on this, I read your post, and was reading it kinda fast til I came to a part where you mentioned "Sand" like stuff, and then you mentioned the Tinnitus, I absolutely have this as well, I got those floaters like you mentioned, had them since I was a little kid, I'm 57yrs old now, and went to my husband's Eye Dr., he told me that it was a thing from back when I was a little kid, the Tinnitus I'm not sure how that happened, had that since 1983, I've got that as sever as it gets, just had some really loud and bad sound in my right ear, and thought to have lots of wax build up in it, my only good things are my left ear, almost my good eye, Lol, it's been hard to tell anymore since I've taken lots of the strength from my right eye to see good in my left eye, now my right eye, it's been hurting me lots! the stuff in my eyes have come to me more now than ever, my cousin also has the stringy goo in here eyes, I see her pulling this gooie stuff out of her eyes, she says it feels like she's got an eyelash in her eye! well, that's all I had to say, I hope you had gotten some kind of answer to all that went on in your eyes!! and your Tinnitus too!!!  Thanks!!          
No way to get rid of it. Wait 10 years and maybe the surgery available will be more safe to do. But for now, just forget about it. When you see it, just control yourself and look beyond it. There is no evidence that it gets worse or will blind you and probably everyone has it but its just some people pick up on it more than others.

As I said, I don't see it much any more and when I do I just keep doing what I was doing. If you concentrate on it you will see it. This goes for tinnitus too. If I think about it I will hear it louder than ever.

Take care.
Hi, I think I have to tend to agree with you about the Tinnitis, I once was able to control the sound in my right ear, and I, in my head kinda mocked the sound to kinda slowly get the sound down, Lol, I hope this makes some kinda sense! also, my eyes are sorta like the best of my face when it comes to things I need to do, like cooking and cleaning and reading my Bible! I have been ok with this stuff in my eye, my husband says, "You got eye poop in the corner of your eye"!!!, Lol!! it's just that stuff I get in the morning, not sure how it happens, but I get them, Lol!!! Well, this was all I needed to say, not too worried about it much, just was looking at these comments fore my cousin, she has that really bad gooie stuff that she pulls out of her eyes, it kinda looks like, well, if you got that, then I don't have to say that much, Lol!!! You Take Care Now, Twiggymarie  
Thanks a lot for your reply! Frankly, I feel a little better knowing that I am not alone with this problem, and this white haze is not the end of the world :)
All the best to you!
I am sorry, Cloudburster. My previous post was supposed to be a reply to you, but I misspelled your name.
Have a great day!
I have something very similar. The eye tests all came up nagative and the optometrist just said that the vision in my rights eye had deteriorated and I needed glasses when using a VDU. I'm not convinced though because if I move the eye I get a second or so of perfectly clear vision then the haze seems to drift back over it again, whether I wear the glasses or not.
It's very frustrating as it just came on so suddenly.
Dand121, you really seem to have the classic floater example there. My mum has one but it is in a different position in the eye where she can make out the shape of it, which is a triangle.

Anyway, I thought I would let you all know that I did a test with 16 students this week. I lined them up in a dark room facing the bright windows on the other side. I got them to move their eyes left and right a few times.

Over half saw what they described to me as a glob or haze sheet moving across their eyes. Only 2 of them saw the haze move in the opposite direction to eye movement.

The ones that saw it were quite startled stating they had never seen it before. Which seems to confirm my thoughts that we all probably have this haze in different strengths but most of us simply look through it.
i am having the same  type of problem. the optometrist doesnt seem to find any abnormality but i am having this fear of loosing sight and its just the start of career am only 22. does ur doctor will this result in loss of sight. though this is very irritating  the more i try to look at them the more i seem haze and the more stressfull i become. please comment quick.
Hi there

Don't worry! If your Optometrist cannot find anything wrong it is probably what we all have, hazy floaters. Read my posts above.

Nobody with this condition has ever lost their sight.

Cheers
Hi, I was curious to know if you have figured out whats going on?  I had Lasik about 6 months ago and about 3 months after the procedure I started seeing a large number of floaters.  Soon there after I began experiencing a flash of fog/haze in my field of vision when I look to the side, or move my eyes back and forth (most noticeable when in a darker room and looking outside or if I look at lights on the ceiling).  It sounds similar to what you describe, however, it doesnt seem to mimic a floater and doesnt move in any particular direction.  I definitely see numerous black squiggly lines and clear blobs prior to and after the flash.  There is just a flash of fog/haze then it goes away.  Its almost like when you breath on a cold window and it fogs up and goes away really fast.  I told my surgeon about it and he did a thorough look and said he didnt see anything, but he also said he doesnt see floaters either.  So Im not sure what is going on there.  Anyway, Im not sure what to do, but its definitely a cause for some major concern.
Hi there. It is true, it is rare for specialists to see eye floaters as they are so translucent. Your "flash" sounds just like what I have. Mine do not look like a floater. They do not have a defined border. Kind of like a smear of clear grease on my eye. Yours may be so large that you do not see them move as they cover your whole vision. But if you see them in the same conditions like me, which it appears you do, I would say it is exactly what I have. If the flash is just appearing for no reason (without moving your eyes or in any light condition), then I would investigate it further. At the moment, I really wouldn't be concerned.
Cloudburster, I tend to agree with TrapperV.  Likely post vitreous detachment.  

I have the same thing right now. Like a small hazy sheet moving in the opposite direction that I move my eye, but only see it when staring at a bright light.  The vitreous detachment started suddently about 2 years ago  and I went immediately to the doctor to rule out retinal detachment.  

The doctor said the vitreous doesn't always detach all at once. At a recent appointment he said he saw what I was referring to briefly in my eye but couldn't locate it second time, so it must not be easy for a Dr. to see it from outside.  He said it is not serious and will probably move out of the vision field eventually.

Just my experience, FWIW
Hi Nancy. It is always interesting to hear from others with this condition. I have found many have first seen this after a stressful period, as I did. Is this the case with you?
Yes, Cloudburster, it appeared a few days after I had cataract surgery in that eye.  Probably that was enough stress for more "stuff" to cut loose.  I am nearsighted, too.
Hi.
It was so interesting to find that you have (had?) exactly the same symptom as mine:
Since about 2 weeks ago, I see an almost white, see-through thing in my left eye, only when I move my eye. And mostly when I look at a bright screen (my computer monitor). And it moves in the opposite direction!

Today I did some small tests and some how concluded that it is the reflection of what I am looking at. I mean I think the white thing is not really in my eye. To test it I displayed different colors on the screen. Actually I couldn't see the exact change of color in the "cloud", but its density definitely changed accordingly.
Also when I turn my head towards one side, then this thing only sweeps (is visible) in the region that the monitor is located.

So... Is yours also like this? Is it dangerous?
(I'm still in the panic phase. Could it be a sign of MS?)
Well, I didn't mean "Interesting" in the previous post. Sorry, English is not my mother tongue.
This thread has been inactive since 2014. If you want to state your problem I would be happy to see if i can offer any useful comments. JCH MD
hello i've recently been seeing these white haze floaters like ppl have said so i went to the doctors and they told me my retina was torn in the right eye and somwhat Detached in the left so they gave me laser eye surgery after that i still have been able to see these white floaters they come at random   sometimes more when lighting changes but i see them mostly when i use the computer
laser for torn retina does not get rid of the floaters it seals the tear shut so you would expect you to continue to see floaters. Floaters are more, or less, visible depending on the background and attention you are paying them. Discuss with your eye surgeon Eye MD ophthalmologist.
Also have your blood pressure checked. High blood pressure can cause blurred and hazy vision.
Hi, Cloudburster are you still around? I recently had this happen, wanted to discuss with you further! I'm big into researching health and finding solutions, I think we can empower each other!
hi i found out i get a white haze following my eyes when looking outside of a window thats bright outside if i move my eyes really quickly then look streight back outside i get a white haze flash when i took my glasses off now i  started get them when im wearing my glasses if i squeze my eyes really tight and repeat the process it goes away for a bit about 5 or ten seconds then its back again.
=
=
I have the same thing with the white hazy streaks when looking at bright lights even outside. I'm pretty sure they are the same huge cobweb floaters that appear grey when looking at a blue sky. But they look like white hazy streaks when they pass over lights like a tv in the dark or in a store with flourscent lighting.people here are thinking they are a different type than the grey floaters but they are the same ones they just look different to us in different lighting conditions. These hazy streaks are the most devastating about floaters for me.
There is no safe and effective treatment of floaters.
I have this same issue in my right eye. When I turn my head right, the white haze moves across my field of vision like a windshield wiper, moving to the left. When I turn my head left, it moves to the right. So, bottom line, do you think this is harmless>
It can only be diagnosed and a prognosis given after an exam by an ophthalmologist eye MD.