Eye Care Expert Forum
Why do I see sparks of light??

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Why do I see sparks of light??

Eversince December of 2000, I was reading a book, and I decided to focus on a certain picture on this particular book.  I stared and stared for about 20 minutes - don't ask me why....  Anyway, out of nowhere, I saw this "energy ball" that was hot pink in the middle with neon blue surrounding it.  As the years progressed, I have been seeing "energy" that is almost neverending static electricity.  It is hard for me to describe.  And I see sparks that come out of nowhere also.  And most of the time I can't control it.  In a way, it kind of controls me.  I know it isn't normal.  And I keep asking why it happens to me; and is it only me that it happens to??  24/7 since the year 2000.  In February of 2009, I went to see an eye doctor, and he said that I might have occular migraines; but is that the real truth??  Is it paranormal??  Maybe, but I am thinking of getting a second opinion.  I don't know.  And it seems that these "sparks" are electric, just like the energy ball, and it is just draining my energy. Something is telling me that I am going to have this for the rest of my life.

- jbecca
Dear jbecca,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMd to determine the diagnosis.  It is difficult to give a diagnosis without further history. Try to observe how long the “energy ball” lasts, wehtehr it moves and is associated with headache.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California