Eye Care Expert Forum
Why do brown eyes turn blue in a male of 69

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I have a friend who is 69 and is finding that his brown eyes are turning blue.  What does this mean?
He is probably losing a little pigment on the iris making them a little more pale and less vibrant in color and the peripheral cornea near the limbus tends to collect some iris color is fading a little and gaining a slight bluish tint.  The color of the iris is not changing however.  It is totally totally normal is some people and nothing to be concerned about.

MJK MD
Yeah, I actually learned some interesting things from both an internet article, and a college class. The basic idea is that way back when, all people had Brown/black eyes. But the lighter gray/blue/green/etc eyes originated as a genetic deficiency of pigment in not just the Iris, but skin as well.
Don't ask me how the genetics caught on so well, but they did.

So yeah... as said, nothing to worry about. (Kinda interesting though)