Eye Care Expert Forum
Why do my eyes always hurt?
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Why do my eyes always hurt?

A couple of years ago, I was struck in the head with a large rock, which caused a gash in my head. Within a couple weeks, my eyes started really bothering me.I thought it would go away, but it didn't My eyes hurt all of the time...Alot of the times, they sting and are watery. They are sensitive to wind and light..They feel better after about 10 hours of sleep, but they start bothering me again within 5 minutes of waking up. When I wake up, my eyes usually feel kind of puffy. I went to a general physician, I told him about being hit with the rock, but he didn't think it was related. He thinks it is dry eyes, although my eyes don't feel like there is something in them and my eyelids don't stick to my eyes. He referred me to an eye doctor, and he also said dry eyes. I tried dry eye drops...they don't help...I have tried refresh tears, systane, and a bunch of others..I have tried putting in gel eye drops before bed, sleeping ten hours, putting in drops upon waking, and using drops every half hour, but it still didn't help...I have tried alaway drops and zyrtec pills in case it was allergies, with no luck. I went to an optometrist, and he said my eyelids were inflamed, but said that my eyes themselves were healthy and he didn't see any problems with them. He thought the inflammation was from allergies. He prescribed me Alrex for the inflamation (inflammation) and Patanol for the allergies. These drops have provided no relief. I think this doctor was quite possibly right about the general problem...I think it is inflamed eyelids, although I don't think it is allergies, but I'm not sure..I do not have insurance any longer, so I don't have money to waste going to the wrong kind of doctor or buying unhelpful medications. What I am looking for is: 1-If anyone knows what my problem might be? 2-What kind of doctor should I go to now- general physician, go back to optometrist, opthamologist, or someone else? 3-Any medication I could recommend to the doctor that will be effective?
Related Discussions
Dear sentry1100,

I would go to see an eyeMD ot determine the cause of your symptoms if they persist.  Try stopping all medications to determine if that helps as preservatives may cause symptoms.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
Doreen Fazio, M.D.Blank
Amerisight Institute and Valley Eye Center
Van Nuys, CA
Timothy D McGarity, M.D.Blank
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D. P.C.
Columbia, MO
Ray T Oyakawa, MDBlank
Sharper Vision Centers
Torrance, CA
MedHelp Health Answers
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
Aug 28 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank