Eye Care Community
Why do my eyes feel weird looking at certain objects?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Viewing 201-328 comments:
and i also found this on an article about aichmophobia...
You are not the only one to suffer from aichmophobia. Most sufferers are surprised to learn that they are far from alone in this surprisingly common, although often unspoken, phobia.
I'm a web designer, if you're wanting any help with a website design. Just let me know.
Hi Carlos, Thanks for the offer; this has had to go on the back-burner for me due to work but I'll get round to it soon.

Hi Miguel, I hope the phobia thing helps clear it up for you, however I have to agree with the others who say that, for me at least, this isn't a phobia in terms of being scared of corners. I didn't like needles as a kid (who does??) but I've since had a ton of injections and have no issues. But let us know how you get on.

Hi RobertB1982, It's interesting that you're another sufferer who has experienced head trauma. It seems disproportionate to me, but I'm no statistician.

Hi Sharpain, interesting stuff, thanks, I'll have a read.

Tom

Hi, my wife and her three sister have problems looking at sharp objects, with no real consequence throughout the daily lives, except it does make them feel a little funny, as if they need to look away. Well I was putting the cutlery away after dinner and my wife was holding our six month old daughter and I noticed that my daughter would pull a funny face when the knife was pointing in her direction. I have since tried this with several similar objects with the same reaction. This is what lead me to this message board. If it helps, it does seem that this conditioned is hard wired as there have not been any traumatic incidents which could have set this off. Hope this helps.  Tony
look at a pen tip (about 4 inhes from your nose) with both your eyes up close for 15 seconds and then look at something realy far in the distance behind the pen. Then switch back. It seems to me like I get a sensation that one eye is looking farther back than the other one. The one that cant focus on the pen as easily is the one that makes the SEES go mostly away when I apply pressure.

thats why I think it is somewhat brain/eye related.
Hi everyone,
I have to say that I am relieved to find that I am not the only one who has this condition. I found this discussion group quite by random after trying to describe to a friend how my eyes feel when I look at helicopter rotors or umbrellas.   I now know that there is an actual "phobia" for this.

- Juan
I'm 37 years old and have had this problem since 13. I'm amazed to find other people having this problem. My phobia is of sharp pointy objects: furniture corners, open lap tops, straws in drinks ect... I have been gluten free for about a month (unknowingly of its suggestive connection) and have had more frequent episodes since, which brought me to googling it and finding this forum. Which leads me to believe gluten is not an issue for me regarding this phobia.
I do however relate to having some forms of "synesthesia".

What helps me is simply turn away from the object. Cover it with pillows or blankets. I haven't had a nightstand in a long time. Push my straw away and ask others to as well.

I've never had eye trauma. I have pretty good vision. I will wear reading glasses once in awhile.

It's great to read all of your comments. I will keep reading and learn from all of you...

It's funny, I thought my phobia was because I got stabbed in the eye in my past life.  :)
I'm curious. When you say you have a phobia, are you really scared of pointy objects, do they cause fear? I wonder if there aren't two different things going on here. When I see pointy objects, it sometimes causes a physical discomfort around my eyes, but there is no fear involved. Maybe it's a combination of the two for some of us. I wonder if those who say they have a phobia can elaborate on the fear it causes.
I have been searching the internet for a few weeks now, and I think this is as close as I have come to someone understanding what problem I have.
While I read through the comments, that most have problems with pointy objects, I have the same symptoms, but cannot look at things like chain link fences, cages, etc.  When I do, the back of my eyes and even sometimes nose ache. What bothers me, is that it doesn't always immediately go away when I avoid the triggers, sometimes it is days on end with my eyes feeling painful.  
I told my husband about it, and he thinks I am nuts.  I can remember having these pains/feelings since I was young, I would love to know why.
I've recently asked both a psychiatrist and several neurologists and neurosurgeons about my SEES problem, and all agree it is probably an ocular/neurological disorder of some kind. They dismissed it as being psychological in origin, as I've had this forever, or at least as far back as I can recall (my earliest memory of it is when I was five).

If it were merely a matter of being 'very mentally strong', then believe me, it would have long ago ceased to be a problem for me - I've been through a LOT of stuff medically in my life - but this is not the case here. My current neurologist thinks it may be related somehow to my Tourette Syndrome, which is hereditary, in my case, and most definitely a neurological disorder, not psychological. I'm still not certain I'll ever know for sure what is causing it.

I'm glad to hear you are getting some answers as to what the cause may be in your case.
With people asking if i get fear from pointy objects, i dont. I get the same feeling that my eyes feel discomfortable and sometimes Ill be like Oh crap theres a corner my eyes are gunna start feeling weird soon. But i wont be like afraid like theyre gunna kill me or anything. Im thinking that it may be like a phobia that might either be caused by trauma as a kid that you cant remember or just evolutionary like we are hardwired to get want to stay away from them by our brain. I read somewhere that hypnotherapy can change the way your brain reacts to these things and reverese whatever the cause is that makes your brain send your eyes the message to look away. It may sound unlikely but it makes sense to me and at this point Ill try anything. I think my mom is gunna take me to a phyciatrist and it might get better it might not. All I DO KNOW is that it has been improving with me resisting the urge to look away and reassuring my self consiously that theres no reason to flinch because they wont hurt you or nothing bad will happen. And one more thing, since this has been going on constantly for the last like 7 months, I think it developed into a thing where even things that arent necessarily pointy will bother me. Like yesterday I was sitting down at a table and there was a wall edge like 2 feet from my right eye and it started bothering me and i was like wtf and yeah sometimes just things in close proximity can bother me too.
I was messing around with a Pointy pair of scissors (looking at em), an open door beside the TV, and a few dressers this week trying to find ways to minimize the pain without doing anything but either thinking something or moving my eyes etc. I also have been running the windshield wipers and trying stuff too. I noticed two interesting things:

1) if i forget about the wipers, the issue goes away. But if I even think about thinking about it, the wipers come back into FOCUS in my vision and I get SEES. The same kind of thing happens with corners in the sense that if I can get my eyes to kind of blur them out or focus on the object I'm looking at or whatever it goes away.

2) if I'm looking at a sharp object directly I can make it go away by training my left eye to feel as though it is closer to my nose, and higher up in my eye socket. At first, it almost feels disorienting but I can even walk through a store aisle in that manner with less pain.

And if I have trouble getting the sharp object out of focus and it isn't what I'm trying to look at, making my left eye go closer to my nose and higher in its sockets usually works. Especially when I try and forget about the corner and concentrate on what I'm doing or looking at as well.

Thoughts?
One thing I noticed is that my left eye is not my dominant eye and it is the one that helps me minimize Sees.
My 14 yo daughter has dealt with SEES for several years.  She did hit her head on a slide and black out when she was younger--and I must have warned her a thousand times to not walk around with the pencil pointed up, and to be careful with scissors.  In retrospect, I'm sure I played a part in convincing her that sharp edges are dangerous.  Which helps lead me to the conclusion there is a huge psychological response going on.   Covering her eyes with glasses (to protect them) seemed to help ease the SEES.

This year, she had an MRI and and MRV with contrast of her brain, and a thorough examination of her eyes by a neuro-opthalmologist.  These tests show no explanation of her symptoms.  

Stress is a major influence.  Now she sees a therapist for stress and was actually hypnotized so that she would not have such an adverse reaction to sharp edges.  Since then, her SEES has almost diminished, except for extreme periods of stress or insufficient sleep.  I rarely see her wince at sharp edges or have to turn away, and she really doesn't complain about it.  I won't even bring it up.  Pardon the pun, but out of sight, out of mind.   I think that her not thinking about her SEES problem--not anticipating pain with sharp edges-- has helped as well.  

HOWEVER, she seems to have developed a new "stress indicator"...she's developed facial tics that wax and wane, and has more incidences of visual auras which sometimes preceed a migraine.  She is definitely the "high anxiety" type, and I think it plays havoc on her body.  The best we can do for her is teach her relaxation methods, which the therapist is helping her to do.  

I wish all of you luck and realize not everyone's root cause is the same.  
Hey there, hope you're well.
Sees, facial ticks, migraine auras; i've had them all. I know you're trying to advocate a psychological reason for all this but the more the physical symptoms coincide the more i'm convinced it's physical.
But that said, i'm obviously glad your daughter's symptoms are getting better.
Tom
Wow i cant wait to show this forum to my mom to show her that my not going crazy. Today i was going nuts in the car because she kept saying i needed to go to a phyco because there was something mentally wrong with me.

Lately its been so hard to drive. My mom likes to talk with her hands while she is in the passenger seat and i think she is going to poke my eyes out. If she points to something my eyes go crazy and i think she is going to poke my eyes out even if she just raises her hand up alittle. I think its my contacts but i have always had feelings like this since i was a kid (im 18 not) but now its getting worse especially when im driving.

Should i even bother to mention it to my eye doctor?
I am also feeling the same, even while working table corners are irritating me all the time. please advice me if there is a solution.
Oh yeah! I have a condition that has not yet been documented by the medical science! Nice!

And I, as most of you, feel some relief to know that I'm not the only one with it, but also im sad because i was thinking so far, we all live in the matrix, and i must be the chosen one, since i have unexplainable eye pains..

But whatever, since i may not be the chosen one, im looking forward to finding a "cure". Things that people have said here and seem most reasonable to me is that it may be due to Gluten intolerance (which may be my case, im going to check it out) or some kind of weird obsession, like in an Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (which im going to check out also).

My eyes are tip-top, minor astigmatism as of last two years, but i have had those weird feelings with pointy objects since i remember. I hope someone will find an answer. Cheers everybody!
I just thought I was weird...quirky...my husband and kids have always laughed at me when I tried to explain that it is a physical pain when thing are pointing in my direction.  Wow!  Now I am just amazed to find out others literally "feel my pain."  Is there anything that helps?  I have really bad days and other days aren't too terrible, but it is always there. Meetings are pure torture...when other people have their laptops open...seems kind of rude to ask people to turn them so they won't point at me, so I do alot of shielding my eyes.  Anyone have anything that will have a great impact?
yeah guys i think it is mental and phyciological mostly because this has really not been bothering me much lately and is a little bit now just by being reminded how it feels like and remembering it. But I think it might have something to do with anxiety or something because lately ive been just feeling weird like my brain is foggy and i cant concentrate and just all these weird things. But ive learned to just relax and know sometimes we cant control these things and try our best to cope with them until we find a cure.
God Bless,
Miguel :)
So glad I found this so now I know I am not the only one with this problem. It isn't that I am afraid of sharp objects but the problem is that whenever I see something pointed at me, a sharp object or a corner I cringe and it is actually painful to look at. My family thinks it is really weird and have no clue what I am talking about. Just recently I started driving and the windshield wipers drive my eyes crazy and I have to squint to keep driving.( very happy it didn't rain during my driving test) I am 17 and have never had eyesight problems ( except this) and i have never had glasses.
It is really interesting that you say that because I definitely feel like the SEES problem is a result of my right eye more than my left too. Infact every time I cover my face with a shirt or whatever I cover the right side. And if you were to ask me where I feel this "pressure" I would say its more to MY right side above the eye.
Hi all, I have come to this sight a few times but figured this time I would post something myself. Like everyone else here I suffer from the same symptoms, weird feeling when looking at sharp things, corners, tables, etc. Those fence posts next to the highway are the worst. I have had this since I was about seven or so, I really want a cure for this. I dont know if this will help anyone else but it helps me. I notice that if I apply pressure to the bridge of my nose it seems to ease somewhat, doesnt go away but at least helps. Im starting to think it may have something to do with my sinuses. Im thinking more it is like pressure behind and around the eyes rather than the eyes themselves, and anything you look up about the sinus congestion talks about pressure around the eyes.The only anser I can come to is maybe inflamation (inflammation) in the sinus cavity. I would like to know what people think. I may be way off but I figure any lead is worth chasing. Also some sinus medicine like nasal spray "seems" to help. Like I say any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks, and lets figure this thing out!      
I feel the pressure more at the top side of my cornea. Like at the very end of my cornea.Top side.
Wow. Like everyone, it is great just hear other people's descriptions of a problem that has for so long been an inexplicable irritation. I remember being driven to school in the morning and going past holly trees and I just couldn't bear to look at them, it was if, I was 'afraid' (but it's not exactly the right term) of the possibility - which in reality is zero, but at the time felt large - that their sharp points would pierce my eye and blind it. I couldn't look, but also there would be an 'after effect' of a few seconds where I'd just have to completely ignore it and try and focus on something else. I think the worst example of this feeling is when I see an upturned pin... even visualising it in my mind's eye as I type this is making me feel uncomfortable, but it is really unbearable when I'm actually confronted by one.

The reason I finally came to realise it was a very odd disorder was because nails, knives, other sharp things...I've never been affected by. It took me awhile to realise how inconsistent it was. I always associated it with sharpness but...holly leaves being more of a danger than the point of a knife? That makes no sense. And the sheer torment that I was caused seemed so out of proportion, ridiculously so, whenever I experienced it in front of other people. I never bothered to explain because I just knew I couldn't explain it properly, but I've always been so curious. I tried to explain it fully to my girlfriend a few months back and she just seemed to think I was just being bizarre. It's so great finally reading other people's experiences, before I even begin to get to the medical cause of it.

I can add some info that may help: I'm 21 and I have dyspraxia. It's a motor impairment a bit like dyslexia is a literacy impairment. I'm simplifying it greatly but it basically affects the flow of information between my peripheral nervous system and my brain. One of the curious ways it can affect people is sensory perception... for example I get very uncomfortably hot, very easily. I need to sleep with a fan on all the time, I sleep all year round with the windows open and never ever put the heating on. I never feel cold, I can go out with a t-shirt when people are putting on 3, 4 layers. I know you'll be thinking "that's normal, I'm like that" the difference is I'm sure to show off many of you (especially lads around my age ha) would have braved the cold to show off. It's different for me - extra layers would be simply uncomfortable. I think 15C (59F) is probably on the limits of what I'd call an enjoyable climate. Above 25C (77F)is unbearable for me. I couldn't stand loud noise as a kid, so I really didn't like music. It worked in strange ways like that. Maybe these things are connected?
Hi to all the new posters.

Pepper - It's interesting you feel it's pressure related. As I've said before, I agree. If it's sinuses, does hayfever medication help at all for anyone?

Tom
Tom,

I'm so happy I've stumbled onto this thread.  I've only met one other person that experiences this and it is a relief that there are others out there.  I think this description:

"For those that don't know the 'feeling'... then imagine someone next to you is about to shoot a gun into the air. You 'wince' and squint, probably rapidly flinching your eyes your eyes knowing a loud bang is going to occur any moment. Your head may also move away from the gun. You drop your head down into your shoulders in anticipation. THAT is the reaction. plus a 'pressure' or micro headache forms behind my eyes somewhere."

is a great visual on how it must appear when I'm having a reaction.  

Something I wanted to suggest (there's a lot of comments and I'm taking my time going through them so I don't want to repeat).  As it is more extreme at night (and in the morning) but I find myself in a position having to drive I've started wearing amber/yellow lens glasses.  There is a lot of discussion regarding the safety of driving with something such as this on but I've had no issues.  I live in the Pacific Northwest so I have to use my windshield wipers (I too am bothered by these) and this seems to provide a "barrier" (someone also said this) that makes it easier for me.  I don't know if this is of help but it is worth a shot.

Thank you all for making me feel less alone with this SEES!

Elly  
I finally found people like me! I have always had this problem - helicopter blades are my worst nightmare! I can't even have the car window halfway down because the edge in my peripheral makes my eyes queasy.. It's like motion sickness for the eyes.. I never have pain but it is the most extreme discomfort I have ever experienced.. Like this is the height of torture. I am near sighted, and was in a severe car accident a few years ago that really damaged my neck, but I have been experiencing this since I was a child. I was 22 at the time of the accident and am now 27. I get constant bad headaches, but I think it's mostly connected to the accident. I have always had scoliosis, with hip, ankle and knee problems (not at all serious or severe, just small things like joint locking, popping and soreness), but that is the only other health problem I have. I am not ocd nor do I have any phobias. I do sometimes experience mild anxiety, but it presents in physical ways like stomach cramps (my entire family on my dad's side experiences anxiety, some severe, I have it the least and don't need medication). I am being totally honest to see if people have similar conditions, it seems short sightedness, headaches and anxiety rank pretty high. Everyone's always thought I was crazy so it's amazing to see so many other sufferers! Thank you all for trying to help one another, it's nice to see so many people cooperating to find a concrete cause and solution! Oh, and I have never been poked in the eye nor seen anyone else, and I have no psychiatric issues, aside from insomnia, which I have had since I was a teenager
Is anyone from MedHelp still monitoring this thread? Do you have any suggestions? Any doctors on your staff interested in taking this up? I suspect many of us are willing to be your guinea pigs!

Either way, Medhelp, thanks for keeping this thread here.

Hi to Jade and Elly.

Tom.
I received the following by direct message from a young man called Jullo111 and he asked that I post it here. It's long, but well worth reading; welcome jullo111, sorry it's taken me so long to notice your message.

Message:

I'm new to the group and want to help figure out our problem. I'm turning 14 later this month and finally gathered up enough curiosity to find out what is going on with my eyes. I found this forum almost immediately and in utter shock saw that every symptom described here is what I have had for the past few years. I've read through the entire thing and many of your ideas have been very accurate. Sorry, this is going to be really long. :)

Let the record be known that I've had just about perfect vision my entire life. One glitch is that my left eye is slightly weaker and used to turn in. I had to wear a patch occasionally to help and it is now fairly strong. I've worn reading glasses twice in my life, including recently, to help with the left eye, even though it wasn't absolutely necessary. I have seasonal allergies, nothing major, and I rarely ever get hay fever. Also, I've had mild OCD my entire life, and now I feel I may have also had a form of synesthesia. As a child, I always imagined even numbers as grey and boring, and odd numbers as colorful and happy... In fact, my favorite number is 11. Even to date, for example, I prefer having the volume on my TV or computer at an odd number. It's always been a natural thing with me. As for gluten, I have no known gluten intolerance or disorders. One last connection is that I'm a left-handed writer. Otherwise, I'm fairly ambidextrous, as my strength is in my right and dexterity in my left.

It started a few years ago, going to school, when I would notice that every time we passed a telephone pole I would flinch as a strange feeling jerked my eyes. It lasted nearly that entire school year, and later in it I also noticed that feeling, though subtle and constant, while writing. Every time I get the attack I would have to put my hand on my face to alleviate the symptoms. Now recently, the symptoms have spread to many other triggers, such as branches, pointy objects, etc. Even the mouse pointer on my screen gets me, as well as games with a little aiming pointer in the center of the screen (i.e. Minecraft).

I've seen another trend in this forum with the continued feeling even with the eyes closed, causing trouble sleeping. I have the exact same problem, and most times I have to put my arm/hand on my face to halt the attack. I noticed that when I close my eyes, then keep them in the same spot as I open the eyelids, they were at their near lowest peripheral point where the nose is visible. And obviously, looking at your own nose kind of triggers it.

I saw the connection with traumatic experiences related to the eyes, and suddenly remembered that I have had *two*. One was around 3-5 years ago (not exactly sure) when my dog was chewing rawhide and I was trying to pet him. He then proceeded to bite me about half an inch from my right eye, even though that is the dominant one. The other was even further back, when I fell on the stairs up to the slide in the playground at my school. I hit the top left of my nose, though surprisingly it didn't break. Ever since, though, I notice in that spot a gap in the cartilage and a vein. I feel that it causes me to have a larger amount of headaches, and whenever I have them I feel slight pulsing from that spot (note that my headaches are always in the temples and *worse on the left side*). Of course the dominant side of my body is the hardest hit. :)

I also feel the connection from stress, headaches, and eye strain with the power of the attacks. Though self-explanatory at this point, I am much more sensitive whenever I have a headache or I'm really tired, as well as when my eyes are worn out from looking at a computer screen, for example.

One thing I should point out is that my sister has a seizure disorder, mostly triggered by stress. The last grand mal was more than a year ago, only a few partials in which she sees an aura since. Also, when I explained my issue to my mom, she said my dad had and still has that kind of problem and that its most likely anxiety and strain related, which is accurate considering I wasn't specific with what people have said on this forum. And don't worry, I haven't only just told her about this, I complained initially with the poles, then with the writing; so then, I got reading glasses to try to help with writing, and they did slightly. It was pretty difficult to explain to my friends what they were actually for.

Lately, I feel that the issue has a great lot to do with the mind rather than the physical eye. Sometimes, I get long periods away from anything to trigger an attack, and the thought, anticipation, or anxiety (depending) of it happening wanders to the back of my mind. When I return to having that risk factor, I actually don't have an attack because it's not at the forefront of my mind, as it always is lately. But of course, my OCD mind has to troll me and wonder how I haven't had an attack yet, *and then I get it*.

Actually, a couple years ago I had a writing assessment, and in the entire time I did not put my hand on my face once. The same goes for when I applied to Bergen Academies recently and did their testing. From that, I feel that when I am under stress and a certain time period, I somehow automatically force my mind to stop with the eye games and make it know that what I am doing is extremely important and my foreseeable future depends on it. Somehow, it knows in certain situations that it can't be so "protective," I guess you would say. But in any other situation, it's like a celebrity's agent: no access allowed.

So that's most of my story. Hopefully it'll add a bit of insight into what this issue is with us. Like many others here have said already: at least now I know I'm not alone! Thanks for giving me some insight also; now I have a better understanding of the situation as well as ways to help it. So maybe we can continue to place the pieces of the puzzle and soon figure it out.

-Julian
I can't tell you how thrilled I am to find this page.  I really thought I was the only one with this problem.  Since I was around 8, I've been complaining about "the lines" hurting.  That was my way of saying sharp edges would physically hurt me to the point where I could not look at them.  Sharp edges of furniture, scissors, needles, knives, forks, and windshield wipers were just some of my triggers.  I remember having to fold the edges of papers in school so the corners wouldn't bother me during a test.  I do notice an increase in frequency if I am tired, and it probably happens more in the evening than the morning.  I went to an eye doctor about it as a teenager, but I was told I should go to a neurologist.  I never followed up, because I really felt like it was just something weird about me or they wouldn't believe me.  I also couldn't really put it into words how it felt.  You all did such a great job of describing exactly what I feel.  While I still don't really have any answers, it feels so amazing to know that I'm not the only one who experiences it.
i have the same problem, but what exactly does " SEES" stand for, i want to know so i can further research the topic......I also went to an optomitrist a few years ago when it first started and he said that what I may be suffering from is merely bad focus in the eye, which is common during puberty. My dad also has these symptoms and he says that it seems to intensify occasionally if he has been drinking, which makes me believe that it could be a genetic neurological condition ( or whatever brain/brain science is, neurology i think?) anyway, im not a doctor but if it really bothers you, i would watch what/ how much you drink and probably stay away from harder alcoholic beverages such as rum and vodka and stick to beer, or wine.

hope this helps :D
Like many others on here, I just googled this as I have the same problem! The earliest occurence I can remember is when I was about 8, and was getting extreme discomfort in my eyes looking at pots of coloured pencils at school. I'm now 22 and I've had it since then off and on, it has never bothered me particularly severely, but over the last few days I have had it almost constantly. Even thinking about pointy objects brings it on at the moment.

I notice many people describe getting 'pain' in their eyes, but mine is not painful, just this really odd feeling of discomfort. I have recently started working in a clothes shop temporarily, and it's very uncomfortable with all the rails and clothes hangers everywhere! Cutlery, pencils and corners of furniture seem to be the worst.

As many others have said, I'm glad to have found out that others experience the same thing as I thought I was going mad! It is so difficult to describe the feeling to others who don't experience it. My Mum at least believes me and doesn't think I'm crazy, but we obviously have no idea what it is!

Reading through other comments and things people have suggested, I can say that I'm sure it's definitely not a phobia, I've been tested for gluten intolerance (I don't have it, but I do have Irritable Bowel Syndrome). I am short-sighted and wear contact lenses.I had a facial injury when I was 7 - I fell and split my chin on the corner of a step - I did wonder if this was a contributory factor but it doesn't feel psychological to me; I would think this would be more likely to cause a phobia of corners if anything. I have suffered from migraines pretty much my whole life, and I'm wondering if it could be related to that since migraine is a neurological disorder.

It is slightly disappointing that there is no identifiable cause or remedy as yet, but it is good to know I'm not alone!
Hi! I suffer from this condition as well. If I think back on it, I suffered from a dog bite to the left side of my face when i was about 7 and i can't remember having this before then. I was very close to having his tooth go into my eye, but i suffer from this condition in both of my eyes. I don't know if it is related. I do get headaches on occasion, but never only on one side all the time, and they always vary with severity. My biggest problem is with trees or their branches... If i see smeone running through them on TV, I have to turn away and cover my eyes. I don't get any other physical symptoms except the discomfort and pressure behind my eyes.
I am near sighted, but undiagnosed. I am a little on the heavy side with my weight, but i had this when i was a kid too and i was very skinny then. I have recently discovered that i suffer from trichotillomania now too. (the compolsive urge to pull out one's own hair to the point where it becomes noticeable). It is a borderline OCD dissorder. It's classed as an Impulse control dissorder.

I REALLY WANT TO FIND OUT WHAT THIS IS! I am willing to be a guinea pig, if nessissary, to put a name to this condition. ANYONE with a medical degree.... PLEASE HELP US!

Thank you to everyone as well, I thought I was just weird and alone with this problem too.It's good to know im not crazy! lol.

From shay.
So has everyone just given up? Im sick of this crap. Lets all work together to get this thread out to the public so someone can help us.
Just wanted to update and give some hope to those that deal with SEES.  My son turned 13 yesterday and has been SEES free as long as he remains gluten free.  The last couple accidental glutenings flared up the SEES.  He knows for sure in his case it is related.  

I hope this helps others.  If there is a chance that changing your diet could potentially help you recover and put SEES into remission I hope you'll give it a chance.   It's not an overnight thing either.  You really have to give it at least 6 months.  Think about it...if it took many years to get to the point of damage you have right now...why wouldn't it take quite some time to heal from it.  That's if gluten is the triggering factor for you.  I say it's worth a try.  My son is living proof!

Good luck.
For those who say they've been tested for a gluten intolerance...well, there isn't an accurate test out there that can tell you if you have this.  Yes, there is a blood test for celiac disease...and my son was positive.  However, diagnosis of celiac at the moment is only made if you have villi atrophy in your small intestines.  My son did not have that.  Needless to say there is a high incidence of false negatives on the celiac testing.  Also, if you are just gluten sensitive...no test for that that you can rely on besides going fully gluten free very strictly for a few months to see if symptoms subside or improve.  
I am only 12 years old and for the past few weeks, i've started to just randomly feel this.

If I imagine a sharp object, such as maybe a razor blade or pointy pencil, I get an awkward feeling that the object is going into my eye. It does not hurt, but is very discomforting. I will usually flinch and it gets pretty awkward, especially at school.

However, when I actually am handling the object, such as writing, I will not experience this. I am fine with looking at sharp objects.

If anyone has any names for what this possibly could be  or anything else, I would very much appreciate it.

I am planning to talk to my doctor at the end of this month at a normal check-up.
Im also a person who is suffering from this issue and I can tell you for suuureee I know its not from gluten for me because I already practice a gluten free diet thanks to my mum for many years. Gluten is the new 'magazine' syndrome that is extremely popular! Whenever you see entire restaurants etc. catering to something like this you know its a bigtime fad! What about peanut allergies, they are dealthly! You dont even see restaurants catering to that as often as to gluten free people. My point is that I dont think that this is another thing that is from gluten.

Anyways, The guy who said this is mainly from branches, the people with windshield wipers, the clothes shop railings and racks, and all the examples up the list make a point:

This is an issue that has to do with one eye wandering away from what you want to look at, and looking at the item you are irritated by. In the other instance where you stare at a pointy item it is an issue of synchronizing the two eyes. Usually it is that one is looking somewhere else (like down and a bit left for my right eye).

If you find out which eye is wandering (for instance to a truck corner on the highway) and fix it back on its path (you need to find a motion that fixes it....for me its moving the eye direction up and slightly to the left as if to recenter my pupil) your issue will gradually go away. Its hard to get used to it but I think it helps to correct SEES this way.

Those who get it worse when they are drinking prove the point -when you drink you see double vision easily!
If you stop one of your eyes from wandering towards the corner of a tv, edge of a table, etc and focus on allowing it to move in sync with the other eye, you will feel much better. The harder one to deal with is the pointy objects close by...I think that may be part eye sync part psychological with time.
I have this, but it is not just pointy objects,its anything in my vision and even with my eyes closed. This stared when I was 11 or 12.It feels like when you hear nails on a chalk board.two weeks ago something triggered it and it won't shut off. So hard to function.I went to neurologist,but so far nothing,I have been taking gabapentin it helps a little.it seems everyone is saying they were 11 or 12 when it started, they may be something we have in common. Im also going to get hypnotised, so I will update with that.
I maybe on to something! Alot of the my symptoms could be TMJ related.
Yeah I agree with you that this could be a "lazy eye" that always tends to focus on something that the other is not. Like I had said before in my long info thing that Tomsav posted for me, I do have a weaker eye that could be the cause of it. It could be some kind of anxiety or OCD, which I do still have a degree of, that causes one eye to randomly focus on distracting objects. Clearly, sharp things are very distracting. I know that because when I play games with the aiming pointer, I quickly remember the fact that that is one of the causes of the issue and it happens; when I play games and commentate for YouTube, I have no problem because I am completely focused on what I am saying and doing, so my eyes don't bug out.

And just to update, it's been pretty much the same. I usually get into one of those instances where my eyes go off and have a blissful few seconds or maybe more until I actually remember that it's one of those things. Then they go off. I have noticed that it is my left eye (the weaker one) that gets distracted. By the way, I'm going to try that method you said to move your problem eye back in place when the issue starts. I think we should refer to it as something with "re-calibration." Maybe "eye-calibration" or something like that xD
I also suffer from this. Some other things that cause the feeling driving in my eyes are street signs as I am driving, in addition to everything mentioned above. I have no idea what the cause of this is, but it has to be neurological. Since this is obviously something that a growing number of people suffer from I am surprised that there haven't been any studies done.
Also, when I was very young (3-5 yrs) I fell into the corner of a coffee table and injured my skull and now have a scar on my forehead above my right eye. I experience headaches very often, and am extremely stressed most of the time. Any of these things could have contributed to this problem.
Has anyone tried a holistic docter? I live close to nashville and vanderbuilt has a holistic wellness center,so thinking about going for a consultation. Tryed hypnosis last week,that didn't work for me. Just putting this out there because the medical docters do not seem to be helping us.
I am very offended you think having to be on a gluten free diet is just a fad.  You don't see how sick my kids get or my husband when ingesting gluten.  My husband no longer passes out on the bathroom floor.  My son doesn't have daily stomach pain.  My other son doesn't have muscle pain, fatigue, SEES or canker sores anymore.  My daughter's esophagus is no longer inflamed or going into spasms.  Her eosinophilic esophagitus autoimmune disease is no longer flaring.  All that from removing gluten from our diets.  

Yes there have been times when they've had accidental exposure...for my SEES son it brings on all his symptoms...including his SEES.  

I am truly amazed that people still think going gluten free is just a fad these days.  Restaurants are catering to their gluten free clients because of the rise in the amount of people needing a gluten free diet for health reasons...not for it just being a fad.  Celiac disease doesn't have 300 different symptoms for no reason...it effects everyone who has it differently.  For my son, SEES happens to be one of his symptoms of gluten exposure.  Meaning...whatever is causing SEES...which in my mind I think is inflammation in the brain flares up from gluten exposure.  

~Ceecee
I thave the same problem with looking at pointy things, tops of railings, anyone waving a knife and fork around whilst eating, needles, pens etc. My brother has the same, only met one other person with this, a colleague with perfect vision (my bro and I are both shortsighted), she is a twin,but her twin is unaffected. My son is affected a little but not as bad as me or bro. My eyes feel odd and uncomfortable just thinking about the points of needles.  Im ok with corners just very pointed railing etc.  
Hypnotism did not work,but might try again in the future. Next I'm trying acupuncture and reflexology. Also my mri showed I have chronic mastoid disease,but I don't think it's related.
Okay so I just found out yesterday that my dad has an eye issue too. We were at a diner and he told me to take out the toothpicks in my panini. The conversation led to him having just about the same exact symptoms as me, a really weird sensation in the eyes triggered by sharp objects that makes it feel like they're violently crossing but they're not. He always thought it was just the phobia of sharp objects, aichmophobia. He said he's had this since something that happened when he was young, where his friends were messing around and he ended up having a rock thrown into his forehead. The rock shattered and there might still be a little piece lodged in there. So this confirms, at least to me, that there is some kind of internal anxiety, or maybe even the phobia, towards sharp objects that was triggered by some traumatic experience involving anything sharp to the face. Hopefully this'll help.
I have never had a head or facial injury. Maybe every one's triggers are different. Mine is also worse in fluorescent lighting.I think any object close to my eye's triggers it. Also, I don't have a phobia of sharp objects,wish it were that simple.
I have had a problem with sharp objects for a very long time, since i can remember actually, bt I thought i was strange and am very relieved that others have this "issue" as well! I decided to google why sharp objects really bother me and i found this!!  I am not "scared" of sharp objects to the point where I run away or faint such as is the case with aichmophobia, but I can't bare to even look at them once I have noticed them and feel anxiety until I actually tuen the object or cover up the corner or whatever I have to do in order to feel better about it. My husband thought it was funny at first and tried to get me to stare at a fork but I couldn't do it because just thinking about it really bothered me!. In some cases I have actually asked random strangers to turn their books or magazines in order for corners to stop bothering me. Just to help anyone else researching this the following is a list of the most common items that make me feel bothered/anxious:

corners of books, binders, papers, points of pens or pencils, corners of shelves, forks, knives, basically anything sharp or with a corner that is pointing towards my line of sight.

At this point other objects are bothering me more and more - for example on my desk i had a stapler and although the stapler itself was not shaped with any corners the part that dispenses the staples did and i had to put it away. Also while driving I cannot have anything in my sight such as a gps on the window or even a spot of dirt on the windsheild.

For the record, I have not had any head trauma or injuries..I do not have perfect vision, I am shortsighted.. It just started happening one day and has gotten worse.
I have had this issue all my life but sometimes it doesn't happen for months or even even years. Then all of a sudden it happens and drives me crazy. Doesn't have to be sharp objects. Can be anything. I almost feel like I have to close my eyes tight or even cover them.   Really irritating and makes me feel like I'm crazy!
I have had unpleasant feeling behind my eyes for over a week. I have asked from many people what this is, without any answer. Now I think this is due to sinusitis. Maybe it is optic neuritis (?).

I have had swelling of mucous membranes of maxillary and ethmoid sinuses (chronic sinusitis) fos many years. I never have running nose, only slight pain in the cheek and temporal area. The sinusitis becomes active several times a year. In last October I again had pain in forehead. An ENT doctor said that I may have mucus in my ethmoid sinus. There is no cure other that saline rinses.

Now I have the new symptom behind my eyes. Seeing near-distance things, like the margin of a cup when drinking coffee, also moving things or bright lights can cause bad feeling behind my eyes. Maybe there is again mucus in my ethmoid or sphenoid sinuses. I have no other symptoms except for some sore joints and sore neck side (which have lasted for months) (cervical dystonia).

I don't know whether this is worth going to see a doctor. The symptom is vanishing now.
Im not saying that it is a fad for everyone. Im just saying that there is a trend going on where a lot of people who are not properly diagnosed with this type of disorder choose to go gluten free based on non medical advice or conclusions.  I do not, by any means, mean to degrade the professional medical diagnoses of your doctors or to minimize the amazing reduction of your symptoms because of going gluten free. I do however think that even in your case it is 'possible' that there are other explanations. Have you ever heard of TMS-- or Dr. Sarno? Reading 'healing back pain' and other titles by Dr. Sarno helped me to understand that this doesn't have to be caused solely by some complicated cranial fluid buildup, optic pressure, etc! There are  a host of events traumas and psychological  predispositions that can lead us humans to experience pain in the physical sense that may not be related to a physical event. If there was a physical event in the past that resulted in trauma or injury and doctors and other professionals say that the physical element has healed or does not show any signs of damage you need to believe that the 'original pain' is gone. What is left is a programmed body response that uses the 'original pain' to fool your brain into thinking that it is still a manifestation of your injury. Those with anxiety are most predisposed to having this type of disorder. I do know that during the times that the monkeys are off my back and in the trees my SEES is drastically minimized. Believing and understanding that SEES has physical manifestations that originate from an emotional or mental  uncertainty or pain is the first step on the long journey to making your body a partner in believing that fact as well. I have days where I am strong and can almost leave sees in the dust. I know a tennis pro who has had debilitating pain of a similar (but not SEES) nature and through understanding herself and the real meaning of her responses to the environment around her she acquired the tools to BEGIN healing. All of these things have been slowly coming together for me as I improve my life. I notice that the more exercise and healthy habits that I create for myself the better my SEES gets.....very similar to making yourself feel 'mentally' better by cleansing yourself of various parts of the diet. I can also see that when I work harder in life it becomes easier to relax, and therefore control sees.

I would really like to know some things about the people on this forum. I think answering to these items would help me to understand where to go with fixing this.

1) Does anyone exercise regularly (4-5 times per week endurance or strength training)
2)Does anyone NOT have or has never had anxiety, ADD, ADHD, panic attacks, or a general or specific predisposition to heightened nervousness?
3)Anyone know of TMS?
4)On a scale of 1-10 can you rate what you feel you have achieved in your life as compared to what you believe the BEST you could achieve?
5) Are you a hard, dedicated worker who contributes positively to the society around you?
6) (totally optional but interesting) Do you consider yourself closer to Lazy or Motivated if they were both on opposite sides of a scale?

I have been looking for something to solve my SEES for YYYYEEEAAARRRSS! At the beginning of my search I was looking to the purely physical. The search itself, the very act of trying to find sees, was making it much worse. I thought about lazy eyes, uneven vision, cranial fluid, and pressure, optical nerves and pressure, the visual parts of the brain, electromagnetic therapy....and on and on. can I know that some of those things definitely play a part in our SEES. I also know we all see people with worse 'pain' living through the day just fine. I have had ADHD or something similar before and I can tell you the sensation of almost bursting out of your chair with all sorts of energy is very very similar to that of SEES (SEES is just more localized). All this disjointed discussion and information is part of what leads me to believe that the first one of us to gain the MENTAL STRENGTH to dismiss this will also be the first one of us who SEES total freedom!
My 11 year old son just started having this problem - he was recently in Africa and took the anti-malarial drug "lariam" - he started having various psychological side-effects while he was away - he has been off the drug for four weeks now and just the last couple of days SEES popped up - SEES followed several weeks of visual disturbances - such as seeing colours, shapes, lines and shadows - personally I am with an earlier poster who suggested SEES is a neurological disorder to do with how the brain processes visual information - "Lariam" is known to be neurotoxic to susceptible individuals - the fact my son's SEES has arisen following possible trauma to the brain from a drug - and the fact that it is hereditary in some families - indicates to me it is a disorder in the brain - something wrong with the wiring.

I feel sorry for all the young people who have posted here who are learning to live with this disorder - it sounds very very hard - especially when most people don't understand. In my son's case I pray his condition is not as long lasting as these posts indicate :(
I doubt this condition has anything at all to do with laziness or motivation or "mental strength"
Omg my little brother has the same problem and it is horrible , He started to notice about 2 months ago, he's 14 and I found it quite strange when he was doing his homework he would close his eyes almost like discomfort .he said that the Sharp edges of the notebook paper made his eyes hurt like burn . So we thought he needed eye drops because his eyes were hurting we tried and it reliaved it a bit but not really. He calls it "spike a phobia" my older brother is also scared of shape objects but they don't bother his eyes like my little brother. It's so frustrating to see him squirm while doing his homework .my brother , sister , grandmother and my self wear glasses since a very young age , I'm hoping that he might just need glasses . Because its interfering with his grades and overall he's just uncofortable with normal things. Hopefully we get answers and iam releaved he's not the only one with this
I have the same thing. Feels like someone has their finger mm's from my eyes. What  is the condition called?
We call the condition (SEES) on the forum,but there is no actual name for it.
I hate to admit it,but I seem to have issues with all of the six questions. My sees has gotten horrible,so much so that my face gets numb,especially around my eyes, and my eyes twitch. I forgot to say the numbness sometimes goes down my neck and right shoulder,and I'm also on med's for it now. My sees got so bad one day I went to the ER,it hasn't let up since,but the med's do help.I have always had sees.I'm 55 now so I hope this doesn't happen to everyone else as they get older.I also have that burst from the chair feeling now.
I have had this issue since I was about 11,  or as far back as I can remember. I am 34 now. My triggers are light hitting metal, like on a water fountain, or light hitting a brick wall, or brick walls in general. if someone is staning infront of a brick wall, and i am talking to them, it is almost unbareable, and I try to hide it, but i just want to scream.  Also, now for the  past couple years, if I am watching tv and someone is in a cave, i cannot watch. My eyes feel very weird, almost painful sometimes, and I have to look  away. pressing on the bridge of my nose does help ease the feeling, also pressing on the back of my neck helps ease the pressure in my eyes. I wanted to cry when I came across this forum, because trying to explain it and put it in words to  people makes me sound crazy. I also get tremmers in my body quite often, like a cold chill, but it feels more like a surge of electricity i have to shake out of my body, it usually happens two times in a row, or even if i think about it, i will get one.  does anyone think it is terrets?????
My 14 yr old son has been suffering from this strange but very real problem for many years now. He manages it very well & I'd forgotten all about it until I took him to an interview this week & was aware he wasn't quite himself. When we left the room he told me that the guy interviewing him was the problem as he kept playing with his pen & the sharp point of it was hurting his eyes! Poor kid, he was so annoyed with himself for not being able to overcome the feelings.
A friend of ours is a Homeopath & has suggested we try LAC FELINUM if you look up this remedy it lists many symptoms that this remedy can help.
Be glad if you don't have every symptom - I'd be worried if you did :)

Themes in the Remedy

Fear of falling down stairs, but without vertigo.
Great depression of spirits.
Mental illusion that the corners of furniture, or any pointed object near her, were about to run into the eyes ; the symptom is purely mental ; the objects do not appear to her sight to be too close (asthenopia).
Morbid conscientiousness ; every little fault appeared a crime.
Very cross to everyone.
Sympathy with others pregnant
Sensuality
Violent sexuality
Incest
Lack of self respect
Fastidious
Moody and clinging to independence with sudden bursts if ill temper
Desire to be alone/for freedom
Physical Symptoms

Headaches over eyes, temples and front vertex with burning and pulsation
Affinity with the eyes – weary, twitching, darting pain, inflammation
Sinus problems
Brassy taste on the mouth and loss of taste
Salivation with tongue enlargement
Stomach swelling and a desire to eat paper
Anorexia, nausea, cramps
Amenorrhoea, dysmenorrhoea, diarrhoea
No appetite, heat in the epigastric region
Chest symptoms with oppression and difficult breathing
Alternating symptoms – cold and heat
Dullness with heavy and prolonged sleep where they don’t wake easily
Intolerance of hunger
1) I'd swim for a squad 6 times a week for 2-2 and a half hours per session, including 5-7 am sessions.
2) I don't have any of those
3) I'm still in the tenth grade, and am in my teens, I don't think that I should know what that is.
4) 8 or 9
5) I do contribute but I'm one of those people who leaves everything to the last second. I've duxed school, topped subjects, played in team sports, helped people in the community, performed for our prime minister etc though so I guess that counts as a contribution
6) Closer to? I am the epitome of laziness.
OMG!! I have this too! It hurts so bad sometimes, when i am at work i cant even do the filing sometimes. I need to wear sunglasses even a t night.
ive had this for as long as i can remember. my dad says hes had it too but the symptoms have decreased as he got older. i think i started explaining it to my family once i had trouble with doing the dishes, forks and knives especially.i have been diagnosed with add and major depression. i get headaches every day which also manifest right behind the eyes which tends to worsen the sensitivity of them. is there any place else you guys are discussing this?
test
PLEASE HELP!

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem as you guys, since I was 6 (now 31).
But it is gotten so worse, that I can't function normal anymore.
I have the pain (in a worse way) 24/7.
Almost Constantly I am pushing at least one hand to my eyes (mostly right), in the car, in the train, everywhere, sometimes so hard, my eye is, sort of, twitched in my socket for a few seconds. Now I'm also typing with one hand. The only thing that works ( a bit), is when i am out drinking a few beers (possibly a sedating effect from alcohol).

I cannot stand it anymore and am really sad about it. I don't know what to do anymore.

I went under MRI, nothing, optemetrist and eye specialists, nothing, blood checked multiple times nothing.

Is there any new news about this?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Martin
Go to your doctor tell them to prescribe gabapentin. they will slowly increase your dose.It takes a while to get used to it,but it helps ALOT.If you know anyone that takes gabapentin,neurotin,lyrca or topimax,to tide you over till you can get to a doctor? Remember low dose! I started at 300mg twice a day. I'm on 2400mg and side effects are gone now.
Thanks for the info! I will give it a try, and please let me know how your  son does.I hope it works well for him!
My primary thinks it's a neurosis from anxiety.Neurologist says its neurological. So we'll see!
Hi went to the doctor for this last week and was basically looked at like i was crazy, BUT was prescribed some stuff for alergies (allergies), I didn't think that would work but tried them anyway. A Clariton once a day regardless of the season, Fluticason Propionate nasal spray twice in each nostril every day and use a netipot at least once a day, twice is better. I immidiatly felt slightly better and after a week I feel probably 50% better. So far the best I can describe it is that the feeling is still there but it is towned way down. I think it has something to do with the upper nasal cavity being swollen and or inflamed. Accupressure massage  on my face over the nasal areas also helps. So I don't know if will work for everybody but it is worth a try, I mean I have all of the same symptoms as everybody on here, and trust me they are severe. I will update later to say if it gets even better with more time.  
I have had this my entire life.  My dad, grandpa and sister all suffer from it as well.  No doctor has ever been able to diagnose it or help in any way. It seems that mine goes in and out of times where it's not too bothersome to times of extreme pain. It gets so bad I can't sleep or sit in a room with any furniture that has corners.  At a meal if there are any forks pointing up I have to turn them over. If I am at church I can't look at the person speaking because the pulpit has corners. When I was in school I many times could not look at the teacher if they were anywhere near a corner. Or if someone is holding a pencil or anything like that I can't look at them.  This is when it is severe.  Has anyone found any help or information about what this is?
When I wrote my last post I hadn't seen the 'get more result'. I have read many of those now.  I never thought anyone else in the world suffered from this.  I just wanted to add a bit more.  I notice that when my sinuses and ear Hirt or are inflamed, it gets worse. Oh and the only thing that helps with eye pain for me is closing my eyes and most often hurting another part of my body. Mainly right above my forehead in my hair.... If I can't put my hand up because I'm around people or something I have to pinch my arm or something....
Do others do anything like that for relief?
hello friend
did you overcome this problem?
I am also facing same situation, am very worried about it
please help me also in this treatment how it is possible to get rid of this
my email is
***@****
I also facing the same situation , before today I thought I am only one in this world facing such situation...my God there are dozens ..
do you succeed to over come it?
I'm glad i'm not alone. I searched online and found this term.
Aichmophobia, or the fear of sharp objects, encompasses a wide range of specific fears.
I have this problem with especially pointy objects such as pencils, pen, anything pointed at me or almost at me makes me cringe and turn away. I automatically get this overwhelming fear that the object will stab my eye and it freaks me out.
We all are victim of this disease , phobia whatever ...we all re telling. each other about this.I want to ask anyone succeed to over come it .if answer is yes  thn tell how , I got advice from doctor that I should go to neurologist
Aichmophobia,I think fear of Needles not pointy objects, here we all are victim of pointy objects, even I cant type on computer with two hands, one hand must be on my forehead .If you have more useful information about it please share with all. Before yesterday I also thought I am the only one which is facing such situation. The big punishment for me will be if someone ask me to sit on the chair without  putting hand on my forehead and on the table put a Pen holder, even only pen, or any pointy object ..I will die in 5 minutes
I've said it before and I'll say it again.  :)...my now 13 yr old son has overcome this.  For him it was going on a gluten free diet.  Yes, that's all it took for him.  His blood test for celiac disease was positive so I believe that is what it is.  We have been able to uncover all the corners of his dressers, he can go shopping with me again, and the coffee table or tv doesn't bother him.  You want to know when it comes back?   The only times it has returned has been when he has accidentally ingested gluten.  Gluten can effect the brain.  I believe whole heartedly that this is caused by inflammation somewhere in the brain.  Vertigo is common with people who have celiac as well...who only get it when they have ingested gluten.  From the beginning of him telling me about it I always felt it was similar to a form of vertigo.  Anyway, best of luck to you all.  Gluten might not be everyone's issue...maybe another food is causing inflammation but you have absolutely nothing at all to loose by giving it a try.  If you do know that gluten is hidden in so many things...so do your research on a gluten free diet.  It's not just giving up bread...or not using white or whole wheat flour.  It's reading lables and knowing which brands of foods label their products wisely. Also, I would give it a strict 3 months.  Many people just don't do it long enough.  My husband took a year to recover...it took 6 months for his intestines to become normal again.  So give it time.  
Oh and I used to be carecare35 but I lost my log in information and it was connected to an email account that is no longer active.  So I had to create another account.  
Hi there, I too have the same condition where I feel very uneasy in my eyes, a pressure, when I look at pointed objects. I was knocked unconscious at school when I was five (a boy running around a corner bowled me over  and I was only in hospital for one day with a lump on my  head). Anyway, my earliesst recollection is of feeling very uneasy and uncomfortable at school where before and after school we had to put our school chairs on our desks - all those chair legs would make me feel sick. I never said anything, and only vaguely remember now in my later years that this is some kind of phobia. I would put my hand up to be a research participant also.
Hi, I just posted before (joh515) and thought perhaps I should have given a more thorough answer. I am uncomfortable and feel very queasy around chair legs that are upturned on tables and my earliest memories of this were as a small child at school, probably since the age of five. Besides the chairs on tables, I do not enjoy 3D movies, But I haven't found it too debilitating, I'm not concerned with pens, pencils, forks etcetera like some posters on here. It's never caused me concern to go to a specialist, but I was curious to know what it was and if anyone else had this obscure problem. Hence I found this post. I have no neurological or psychological problems (that I'm aware of) except mild problems with drifting off to sleep (racing thoughts most nights), and a fear of the dentist so I  put those appointments off until I'm in pain! Hope this helps. So glad to read up and meet other people with this condition!
Several years ago, one poster here mentioned a condition called "aichmophobia," which is probably relevant to some of the symptoms mentioned by lots of people on this board:

http://phobias.about.com/od/phobiasatoh/f/What-Is-The-Fear-Of-Sharp-Objects.htm

It is important to note that phobias probably have a genetic component and thus may not have much to do with traumatic events in people's lives.  Phobias also come in different strengths, and mild or vague discomfort can be a symptom.
Hi everybody! So I've looked at most of the comments and it seems like I'm quite on the same page as everyone else, yet there are many things undiscussed about MY problem, which could very well be different from all of your guys'.
I'm 16 and this problem came on at about the age of 12. It happens most often when:
I'm in bed, trying to sleep.
Driving a car.
In a boring class in school.
Playing/working on a computer, but not on PS3 (or any console with a controller). With a controller, I can have my hands near head (near my eyes) and that gives me a sense of secureness which helps with my problem.
When I'm having a drink with a straw in it, I need to point the straw leaning away from me in the cup.

So I don't get headaches from this, it doesn't cause any pain, it seems to be a mental problem, it helps to have my hands near my face, and if I really try to relax and ignore it, it partially goes away. I believe its mental because the more I think about it, the worse it gets and the more I try and forget about it, the less it affects me.
And, (sorry about the extra comment I forgot to put this in) it doesn't affect me as much if I'm staring directly at it, its worse when its in my peripheral vision. Looking away helps if its something specific that's bothering me, but its usually just a general discomfort that comes on every once in a while, some days worse than others (but no days in particular). If I'm thinking about something intensively it goes away, it affects me most when I'm not thinking of anything in particular (when I'm in bed is a great example).
I have no known mental problems and no physical problems. I have worn contacts since the time that I have had this problem BUT I don't believe that there is a correlation between the 2 periods for the problem affects me whether I have my contacts on, my glasses on, or neither.

Thank you for all the comments! It's relieving to know that I'm not alone and that others can understand my struggles.    : )
visit everyone
http://www.allaboutcounseling.com/library/aichmophobia/
Hi Julian, my name's Julian also! I just wanted to say that I found your post really interesting since it's so similar to mine. I definitely can feel it when I'm going to bed (though not as much recently), playing on my computer, drinking from a straw, etc. And putting hands to the face also helps me a lot.

I also think it's a mental issue, like an anxiety almost. For me, when I am really focused on something or am doing something else at the same time, I don't feel that pressuring feeling on my eyes like they're crossing but they're not. By the way, my left eye is slightly weaker and used to cross when I was younger. For one, when I'm playing a game with a friend over Skype, I can play perfectly fine because my mind is focused on more than one thing. If I play casually alone, that's when I feel it, and sometimes bad. However, lately I've been trying to relax my mind and put the feeling off, and it's worked. When I don't think about it at all, I can go about my day perfectly fine, similarly to what you said.

My question is if you've had some kind of physical trauma around the face. I actually had two in my childhood (my dog biting me close to my eye and almost breaking my nose when I fell on the metal staircase of a slide) and I think these could be what caused it. Other people have had traumatic experiences like that so it would be interesting if you did too.
Hey Julian :D
I too have had a dog bite my face very close to my eye and it was quite traumatic for me. That is the worst thing that has ever happened to me. I haven't thought about that event since it happened and unfortunately I cant remember if that was before or after my problem started. It was around that time when my problem started so I can definitely see that as being the trigger.
How long ago did that happen for you, and was that the cause of your problem?

visit it
http://www.moizhussain.com/

this man has the treatment of our mystery phobia / disease, because I read Medical doctors dont have treatment. doze cure us for timely ....
this PHD doctor regularly visit Europe, US, Canda..all over world
hope all fellows will get rid of this phobia

Thanks for the update on your son ceeceecee. I was wondering how he was going. It's great the gluten free diet has helped him so much.

I have been trying to go gluten free for over a year now. I do ok for awhile but then slip up here and there. I am still determined to do a 3 month stint of completely gluten free.

Regards

Kellie
I've commented on this forum several times regarding my daughter, who is now 15 years old.  She suffered terribly with headaches, pain from looking at corners.  She had thorough testing of her eyes and brain scans.  Nothing could explain it.  You can find more of her history on this thread.  What helped her was getting hypnotized to not associate corners with pain.  It helped tremendously.  I never bring it up now, because I fear I may reactivate the association.  I don't see her react to corners like I used to (turning her head, scratching between her eyes, wincing), so I'll just assume she is fine with this.  But I have something very interesting to add.  About a half year ago, she mentioned to me that she sees letters, numbers and days of the weeks in specific colors.  Monday is always red, Seven's are always yellow.  I asked her to take crayons and make a list, showing what color represented each of these things.  I've gone back to the list to "test" her, if you will, and these colors are constant...she's not making it up!  She honestly thought all her life that everyone saw things in color like that.  She was pretty shocked that I didn't.  I had a few minutes this morning to read up on this thing called "Synesthesia" which pretty much fits in with these color associations.  It's pretty rare.   And I was just wondering if synthesthesia was responsible for her "feeling" her sight, ie, feeling the sharpness of corners she would see before hynotherapy.  Anyway, there is a study being done, and a questionnaire online for anyone interested to see if they have synesthesia at synesthete.org....one of the researchers has synesthesia herself, and I think that's incredibly helpful.  So I'm suggesting that people experiencing SEES take that little quiz and then report back on this site to see if they, too, have synethesia,   I think it would be really interesting.  
That is helpful information..thanks!
HI!  I was wondering if you every went for hypnotherapy...it really helped my daughter!  
You are NOT crazy!  My daughter had SEES, was helped tremendously with hypnotherapy, so that she no longer associates corners with pain.  I've learned recently she has Synesthesia...she associates letters and numbers and days of the week with specific colors.   She thought EVERYONE saw things like that.  Again, she is not crazy.  Go to synesthete.org to take a quiz to see if you have that condition...it's a good starting place.  Just please don't think you're crazy.  
Wow, I can't believe I'm not the only person with this issue.  I have the same issue with straws in a cup, they have to point away from me, if I bend them in half and stick them back in the cup, that works for me.  I also know that eye drops work for me.  I've had this issue since I was four or five years old.  I hate it, it has made my life very uncomfortable.  I would do anything to find out how to fix this issue.  I totally understand what others are going through.  If anyone knows a cure, please let me know.
Thank god I'm not going crazy.. I've had this as far back as I can remember and just drying the cutlery earlier was more excruciatingly uncomfortable than usual! it seems to be getting worse and more intense lately which has made me look this up.. for me Its not a fear of them sticking in my eye, it's like my eyes are afraid instead and react so strongly its painful to even look at what I'm doing.. It's only when things are sticking up towards my face that I get the sensation..
I am so glad I found this forum. I have the exact same issue and I have not met anyone at all that share the same symptoms as me. I randomly googled and found this page because it is slowly getting worse. My "triggers" started when I think I was about 8 or 9 and I just hated the sight of upside down chairs as mentioned by someone else on here. Also around this time TV aerials become a serious issue for me to the point where I would break them all, even the aerials on friends TVs. Right now TV aerials are the absolute worse for me and even thinking about them makes me feel nausious, luckily nowadays no one at all uses them so that makes me really happy. Right now I'm a university student and I can not stand the sight of microphones. I don't think anyone on here mentioned microphones but that is a big issue for me to the point where I have to physically block it out of sight with my hand or I do the pressure on the bridge of my nose thing which only helps slightly. Another bug one that I saw someone else post aswell was street lights or lamp posts. I have had the eye issue stuff with it for as long as I remeber. I don't have trouble with it when I am in the back seat but when I am on the passenger side I have the visor down it e wearing glasses to not feel uncomfortable. I, like most if you, have found comfort knowing that I am not the only one with this issue. And I really like the idea of making a Facebook group maybe?  Although its really disappointing that no one ha really defined it yet it would be great if someone did some research on it. If anyone would like to discuss it with me plz send me an email on kalolo . joe at gee male . Com. Cool.
As far as I know I have always had this condition. I remember being three and having eye discomfort at daycare. I am now 24 and it has not gotten any better. I can somewhat control it but it takes almost every fiber in my being. Pencils seem to be the main culprit, they cannot be pointing at me. I cannot deal with it. I have never met anyone with this same condition and for the most part cannot explain it, others just don't get it.

I have seen eye doctors and psychologist and got grouped with OCD. Which is fine but there is no way to control it. Being stressed out doesn't necessary make it worse. I can have the best day, best nights rest and be in my best mood and it would still affect me the same way if conditions were opposite. If I close my eyes and know the object is there it hurts just the same. For the most part, I have to put a soft object, pillow, over corners of furniture, which makes it very awkward at other people homes.

I am extremely active, have a college degree and work full time. I am "normal", do not consider my self unhealthy or lazy nor have I had a traumatic experience that triggered this. I think this is a psychological issue. I am not sure what from but I would love to know more.
I have this same issue. My blood type is O negative, I get aura migraines and I have noticed my ear and neck hurt too. Does anyone have this problem too?
I just saw a doctor recently and I have been referred to a psychiatrist for OCD. Did being diagnosed with OCD not help in terms of trying to get some help or methods to stop it? I personally don't have the same issue as you with pencils but Im similar with everything else. Hope someone does something to figure this out.
I've had this problem ever since I could remember im 23 now.. worked at a sheetmetal shop cutting metal so at times I had to close my eyes just to handle with many pointy things and dangerous heavy metals, but somedays it didnt bother me. Its not on going it just happens sometimes. I don't understand it contact me if you guys ever figure this out
What are the six questions you are referring to?
Hello friends, Myself Ajit. i had the same problem as all of you.
And it started like as far as i remember. I would look away from pointy objects, knifes , sharp corners. I suffered psycologically in my teen years from it. But now i m 21. And now i can manage the pain from such corners.
This pain from corners is hardwired into our subconscios mind from our childhood.. Changing it will take time....But start from now....dont look away from pointy objects...It will be difficult for first time...you will look away instantly but still hold on.....and slowly slowly you will feel progress...
remember you dont want to suffer for life from this stupid belief which you have kept holding in your mind...its okay you will get failure for 6 months..but then after that, you will laugh at this ******** thing...
i have suffered from this....i would not be able to watch tv etc....and remember this happened because you are different from other people..u are more intelligent than them....it just that in childhood your mind wandered off and got struck...but now you have grown up...
only do one thing...knowingly look at pointy objects...
Has anybody figured it out yet?  
awb12 has.

This problem is probably something called Aichmophobia (ike-mo-phobia), a fear of pointed objects.  It is fairly well known, and a lot of people have it.  It may be genetic, because it tends to show up in several members of a family.

It is treatable, and as awb12 says, one of the treatments is exposure therapy, in which a patient is repeatedly exposed to the object that causes the uncomfortable sensation--until the thing loses a lot of its power just because you've seen it so often your nervous system gets bored with it.

There's more info here:

http://www.justanswer.com/health/14uov-dad-wierd-eye-sensitivity.html

I do not believe one bit it's a phobia.  I feel it's a condition that is somewhat related to vertigo.  

All I can say is my 14 yr old is no longer bothered by this now that he is eating a gluten free diet because he has celiac disease.  I was able to take the covers off the corners of his desk and dresser and shelves in his room.  Something changed in his brain when going gluten free.  I hope it helps others.  
I agree, it's not a phobia
Holy ****, I just had a crazy thought. I also have a similar feelings, and I wondered what was the thing that came to mind when I thought of something stabbing into someone's eye. Of course, in the Dark Knight(Rel July 18, 2008) when the Joker did his magic trick with the pencil. And that movie came out just 4 suspicious months before the original post.
Hi everyone, hope you're all well. I've just been catching up with all the replies since I was last on here.

I really think this is to do with inflammation - I had swollen optic nerves, ceeceecee's kid was inflamed due to a gluten allergy, Pepper suggested the hayfever/allergy medicine Claritin helps...

Well Claritin helps me too, so that's very interesting. It's an anti-histamine drug commonly available over the counter. The active ingredient is 10mg Lortadine and there are very many cheap "own-brand" varieties which do as good a job as the expensive stuff.

Can I suggest anyone willing to gets a packet and tries it daily for a week? Kids - don't do this without parental permission. Adults - always read the label, etc, but I think this is a fairly harmless drug (unless you have liver complaints, apparently).

I just think this is a relatively cheap and painless test we could perform on ourselves to see if it helps. What do you think?

Tom
Im 31 and I've had this problem since preteen to early adulthood years. I remember my mom having the same issue, getting mad at me and telling me to not put something sharp in front of her eyes. It hasn't bothered me for a while now, but lately it's starting to return.
My preteen to early adulthood years I also had TMJ.
Lately I started grinding my teeth and started unexplained pressure headaches as well. This problem is more severe when I try to read a book laying down or inclined backward but not so bad leaning forward looking down.
It does sound like inflammation bc I have that problem as well with my throat lately and my doctor prescribed prednizone, but the inflamation (inflammation) is not going away after I stop the med.
Similar to tomsav, whose opinions I share and respect - I've been away from this forum for awhile and am just checking back in.  And it is frustrating to see so many of the same complaints - problems - issues described with no medical professionals (specifically eye specialists) weighing in with comments about research and/or recommendations.
Tomsav may be onto something with the Claritin suggestion as well as others that have recommended a gluten-free approach as I do believe this is an ocular/neurological disorder that is related to an inflammation issue in the optic area.  As I've mentioned before, my father had SEES, I have it, and my daughter has it...all to varying degrees with both common and different "triggers" (none of which I'll mention to avoid causing any of you to cringe).
As we know, this is an open forum and everyone can express their thoughts and opinions.  However, with that being said -- I would like to strongly discourage (hopefully stop) any further comments about SEES being a phobia, or OCD related, or something you can "get past" mentally.  
As stated, it certainly would be nice if medical professionals - from MedHelp - could "weigh in" on this forum.  Does anyone know --- Is there an option to "ask an expert" anywhere within the MedHelp site?  
I agree completely. It is NOT a phobia. There is no fear involved. Just a very unpleasant, uncomfortable feeling around the eyes. And I, too, am amazed that there is absolutely nothing about this condition in the medical books.
Hello!
I am 20 and I've had this problem ever since I can remember! I can't believe how big of an issue this is and how popular! Anyways, so to list some of the things that affect me is branches from trees at eye level, bug splats on the window when I'm driving, looking at a mess of small objects such as the inside of an old computer tower, wire brushes, adjusting to new glasses, and (this one is weird) unwrapping anything that's tightly covered with aluminum foil... these irritations commonly happen when I'm tired. The only person I was able to share this issue with, was my mother. She told me she USE to have this same problem! Then she gave me the only solution that hasn't entirely gotten rid of the problem but helped tremendously. Mind Over Matter, is what she told me. Uh huh sure, I thought but one time as I was driving with my fingers pressed up against the outsides of my eyes due to the bug splats on my window I began to ponder on memories of my pass, thoughts of the future, or anything really, I noticed my eyes weren't irritated! It starts to irritate again when you start to think of that certain thing. The other thing I've noticed is when you find out a certain something irritates your eyes, you automatically put it in your head to react to it, even when it might not even affect you at the specific time. For instances, when you see tree branches with a bunch of little twigs, you automatically think of those twigs poking your eye and you react. What I've done to overcome that is instead of thinking about tree branches poking my eyes, I think about how easily it is for those twigs to break when I gently apply pressure with the palm of my hand (you actually have to do it in order to store that certain feeling in your thoughts) and for some reason I find it appealing to the eye when something has been trimmed. I can only work with small objects such as sewing or fixing computers when I'm totally engrossed in the outcome of my work whether it be to learn something new and exciting or whether it's the enjoyment of giving away a gift to a person I know will love it. Essentially, it comes down to "Mind Over Matter".  It's definitely related to fatigue as well because I still can't fight the irritation when I'm tired. So I've been able to suppress it over the years where it doesn't control me but to actually get rid of the problem, I have no idea. I hope this helps to some and/or opens up an idea to the solution.
I've got this same thing, and so does my dad and possibly my brother.  My Dad always thought it was cause he got run over when he was four or five, until my brother and I mentioned it.  
It seems that I can't look at sharp corners pointed my direction, even those of books or cupboards, as well as an inability to meet peoples' eyes without feeling that painful pressure, especially if they're talking too close to me, or strangely, if i find them attractive, the pain is more intense.  
I do the same thing as the previous commentor, where I press my fingers at the sides of my eyes when it hurts, often when driving, and shutting one eye to allow myself some relief.  It's weird, it's happening right now, almost just because i'm talking about it.
Sometimes when it goes on too long, like if i'm driving back to college, it will turn into a blinding migraine that leaves me unable to see right in the center of my vision.  

Final note, I have a port wine stain birthmark on my face, which means I have to get a regular checkup for Glaucoma.  Any chance of a relation there?
the thing is, I don't know if this is really the issue.  Aichmophobia sounds like your general "fear of needles" that people claim.  I definitely have the issue with sharp things and my eyes, but as for needles, i'm fine.  I donate plasma all the time and it doesn't bother me, even though they prick your finger and then go sticking that coffee straw size needle in your arm.
jenna i have the same issue with metal although its slightly different im 15 and ive noticed that since i was 11 or 12 then when i see moving metal or standing metal like chain link fences or tree branches moving like in te car or what not it kills my eyes ive had not trauma or anything im perfectly healthy as far as my mental condition goes. but what im trying to get is looking at metal kills my eyes or at least causes pain it could even be in a movie or video game it is really irritating i hope they help us both out soon or someone takes this condition into consideration just wanted to let you know your not alone and that it ***** and that i understand your discomfort.
   I am so glad I have found this. Ever since I was a child I have had this issue. I can't do the dishes because the pain/discomfort will happen and I'll have to drop the silverware and put my hand on my head near my eyes. Just a couple of minutes ago I was getting coffee at my office and it just happened suddenly and the corners of the cabinets and the coffee machine and the spoon was just too much. I couldn't get away from the points so I just stood there trying to find something that wasn't pointy while also trying not to look like a lunatic freaking out while covering my eyes in the middle of the kitchen while making a cup of coffee. Needless to say I got some weird looks.
   My family has always known about the discomfort. When I was younger my older sister would try and do my makeup for me but when she would go to put anything near my eyes I would have to move my head out of the way and rub my head/eyes.
   Right now as I am typing this since I just had an incident, the corners of my laptop are killing me. I have to keep looking away. I'm not afraid of pointy or sharp objects. Majority of the time I can look at sharp and pointy objects. But something triggers it out of the blue and I can't even be near it.
   The first time I heard about this problem I was watching a documentary about children with OCD. Believe it or not there was this one boy and he had OCD and he couldn't stand corners or pointy object. While filming he had to have to camera men move everything out of the room until it was just him and his bean bag chair. I have been to a psychologist and I have yet to be diagnosed with OCD so I'm still not sure what the problem is.
   I have been thinking maybe it has something to do with poor vision. But looking at these posts I have seen that even people with perfect vision have this problem too. Maybe it's sinus pressure. Maybe it's eye strain. Who knows. But someone needs to figure it out because I don't think I can take this pain much longer.
I am 23 years old and have three years that I suffer from pain in the right eye with photophobia and many other symptoms including this feeling of having sharp objects such as scissors and knives or hanging signs in supermarkets and street signs that come in my eyes! But now I'm better when I realized that the cause could be my malocclusion! Every now and negative symptoms still appear but are much improved, before I could not even turn my head right, eyes could not keep up with the movement of the neck! What strikes me is that I had to search in English (I'm Italian ) to find other people with the problem of sharp objects that come into my eyes! In Italy there are a lot back! Had I understand that my problems were not because of my eyes but something else!
I've been following this post for over a year and have also suffered from the same symptoms since I was a kid. Did anyone try the Claritin and, if so, did it help?  
Viewing 201-328 comments: