Eye Care Community
Why do my eyes feel weird looking at certain objects?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Viewing 401 comments:
my 5 year old son has inherited this curse off me, so im guessing i havent been shot in my eye in a past life,
its something not right in my brain
This occurrence happens randomly to me, and has since I was a child.  Most of the time, I am fine, but out of the blue, something weird like the texture of a curb or seeing jagged objects make my eyes have a weird, dull, pain sensation.  My brain immediately jumps to the conclusion that something is poking my eyes, but the feelings isn't as sharp or concentrated as if I actually had something in my eye. I can only describe it as like the pins and needles sensation you get after your hand falls asleep, or like nails on a chalkboard, except inside my eyeball.  It hasn't really bothered me overly much, and I always attributed it to an overactive imagination.  Lately, though, it has become a problem.  Over the past few weeks, I am more frequently getting this sensation when looking at my phone at night.  The sensation kicks up every time something on the screen moves.  It doesn't go away as easily as it used to, and now it is starting to occur with other things, like from a picture of a bunch of icicles hanging off a roof.  It's getting worse, and becoming worrisome.  I doubt this is a phobia, as most sharp objects do not give me the sensation, and as lately it is attributed to movement on a screen, such as a game or scrolling through a web page.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one with it.  It seriously *****, though.
I have all of these symptoms that everyone is describing but its not my eyes that are uncomfortable, its my nose. Could it be the same thing? Even if its not , this is still the closest anyone has ever come to describing my condition, so I'm so so so relieved that I am not actually crazy. :)
I had this for years as a child and would shield my eyes from anything pointing at me.  I think back that it probably was a sinus condition with mild headache, as it finally went away when my allergies went away.  I know what you mean.

"Phobia" is the wrong word for this since it is not a "fear" of corners / points.  

Unless, of course, there are two different conditions being described here - one being the strange eye sensation that most people described on this forum and the other being an actual phobia, aichmophobia, where there is a literal fear of the pointed objects, the same way some people have an irrational fear of dogs or small, enclosed spaces.  

I don't know.  thoughts?

I don't know.  thoughts?
Dear Johnny,

You are correct. I do not fear sharp objects however when a headache erupts I am compelled to look away or hold my arm up to cover the sight of them (previously, a headache was not needed to instigate this irritation however I had learned to overcome it). I am surrounded by pointy objects i.e computer screens and pens etc however I find, when concentrating on a particular point on that edge, the wincing bears up and the headache fades. I do believe this is stress related. perhaps not just mentally but physically as well and I have to re-train (force) my mind into accepting that these edges I am assessing internally, are not harmful. I do this by staring at it and consoling myself until it subsides.

I am sure everyone here is different in their own way, my experience with dealing with this may not be helpful or productive to you but, if this in anyway helps someone then I can live with that.

Kind Regards,

B
Actually, you have sort of invented desensitization therapy for yourself, and it is an accepted technique for trying to overcome phobias:  Deliberately exposing yourself to scary things until your brain just gets bored with them.
I was so shocked to read that someone else has been suffering from this what I call my "corner, pointed objects" issue.  There was never a name for this and never did I find another soul who had this problem.  No one understands, ie: doctors, psychologists, family.. no one.  I have lived alone with this torment along with restless legs, and have only been diagnosed with severe depression with no answers.  These issues have ruined my life and I will do anything or take any drug that might give me some help.  

This issue has been with me ALL my life from my youngest years.  My first recognition was sitting on the toilet next to the counter that had a corner just to the right.  It would give my eyes and head "pain and discomfort" until I would cover the corner with my hand and change my thought.  Nothing has changed, I still have it.  It doesn't come and go like others here.  I have to get out of bed and rub my legs and walk around my room a couple nights a week because of RLS.

The only other time besides all of you that I saw that someone had this was an HBO special about kids with turret syndrome.  One young boy said that when he looked at things that pointed at him, it hurt his head, etc.  I was like OMG, some poor boy has this too!  So it leads me to believe that turrets might be yet another diagnoses that is included in this problem.

I will read more of this and please if anyone truly has this and knows more, please contact me as I have been getting more and more suicidal over all these issues combined and am getting no help.  This is embarrassing, but it probably isn't as embarrassing as being in a coffin.
Now that another poster mentioned it, the pain and discomfort is usually from something out of my right eye, not left.  That is Right eye as from my point of view looking out.
I also thought that maybe this and other stuff was karma from a past life, you are not alone.
Yours sounds worse than mine. I can have furniture around but straws for me are the absolute worst. People think I'm gross for drinking directly out of restaurant glasses It makes it tough to go out and have dinner with friends. I have had this problem since childhood and I am now 24. I have done a lot of things in my life that have aggravated my symptoms. In the army I had to do many things that bothered me. Over time my symptoms have become less frequent. It is mostly just straws that bother me to the point of extreme discomfort, also some dental procedures and fingers(not my own fingers though). Its usually active for the first few hours of the morning and hardly noticeable throughout the day.
Well that is probably the closest description of this problem that I have found. It is good to have examples to give to my doctor, maybe then he will do something more that just send me to an eye doctor.
I have created a facebook page (lookingatsharpobjects) The page is brand new, but maybe we can discuss there further. Because up to this day, my life is still a hell (looking at my eye pain). Every day from waking up till sleeping, pain, pain, pain. You can like or post to the page and I will try to maintain it and post everything I can find
Hello everyone

Like all of you, I've been suffering from this disease since childhood.
I read this and I have been researching for over a year all in different sites.
When I have some time to be able to share with you my experiences and my thoughts on the subject. I'm from Spain and I can hardly express in English.

At the moment I would only ask you a question to anyone who can answer. Do You notice improvement during the summer months? I have a couple of pretty good months and I wonder if it's just to be in the summer or maybe in other circumstances or coincidences.

Best wishes to you all
And I thought I'd be the only one!  I can't look at things pointing towards me like when someone points a pen at you or a corner of paper/book pointing towards you.  I also can't look at graph paper, ruled paper with dark lines against white.  Windscreen wipers moving across the windscreen.  I was choosing glasses at a local store last night, they were all on the racking, each was held up by bars on the racking, I felt the top of my eyes hurt, felt sick and had to move right away, even thinking about it now is hurting my eyes.  I've had this since I was a child but it seems to be getting progressively worse now I'm in my mid 40's.  Does this fit in with others?  What's the course of action?  I'm in the UK.
Thanks to Cattrina77, who sent this in a message:

It´s called Visual Looming Syndrome https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_looming_syndrome
Avatar n tn
Another thanks to Cattrina for the wikipedia link.  Wow...there it is.  I haven't visited here for so long because my son has really improved over the last few years...or has learned to deal with it.  However, I do believe his diet change after the positive celiac blood test has improved his issues with SEES.    Interesting that it may be linked to Celiac Disease as my son is most likely celiac.

Very interesting!

Carol
i have the same type of phobia that you are suffering . It ruined my entire life. help me . My email id: ***@****
I have had the problem since I was 5 years old and now I am 16 today but every corner or pointy object it hurts my eyes can you recommend any thing to help me.
=
My 19 year old son suffers from this. Are there any solutions? Or anything to help him? Does anyone know the cause? I would really appreciate any information as he says it is progressively getting worse! Please help. Thanks in advance.
=
Had this since I was a small child
Used to say to my parents
I've got edges
=
I experience the same thing! Only not with real objects. But when i daydream or thing about sharp/pointy things, but not all the time. Sometimes i don't experience it at all.
=
I can't believe other people have this problem. I am 23 and have had this since about 10 or 11. I always felt uncomfortable around pointy objects; forks knives and pencils or pens being the worst. I knew it wasn't a phobia as such as I don't really feel fear, just an intense urge to shield my eyes or hide them as I acutely aware they might get damaged.

It is definitely worse when I'm tired, everything seems much more pointy and jumps out me more and when I go to sleep when I first close my eyes I see flashes of knives and needles aggressing at my eyes, not nice at all!

I remember it was always bad but one day I walked straight into one of those metal posts that products in shops are displayed on and it went in my eye (I'm only short), after that it was much worse. I also have rhinitis which I guess might be linked as always have sinus problems, and I did hit my head badly as a child...

I hate it when people point their index finger at me too, it feels like the rudest most aggressive thing ever to me. The worse is action films or horror movies, which I love but during any fight scene live in constant fear someone will attack the other person's eyes. I remember in the new Alice in wonderland the monster's eyes keep getting attacked by a sword and I hated it. Any form of recorded eye operation makes me dizzy, really hot and panicky - once I was trapped at the end of a row in a lecture theatre when my lecturer put a slide up of an eye operation and I couldn't escape so had to hide in my jumper, everyone thought I was mad.

I try and avoid looking at things pointing at eyes but the one time I did was during One Hour Photo with Robin Williams. It's not even about eyes but when he was decompensating he runs into a conference room with a laser eye surgery slide up, it pops up out of no where and I immediately burst into hysterical tears. I think that was when my partner realised I wasn't just being a hypochondriac haha.

I actually spread this phobia via social learning to my friend who I grew up really closely with - hers is more of a true phobia however rather than SEES. My boyfriend's aunt is a hypnotherapist and I am desperate for her to try and help me! Still can't believe other people have this issue!
=
As one thoughtful poster suggested just a few messages ago, google or wikipedia "visual looming syndrome."  It sounds like the best explanation for many who have posted here.
The first time I remember this happening was while watching someone run through the woods on TV and I had to look away.  I can't look at the blinds in my house without feeling discomfort and most of the other things people mentioned also cause the issue.  I have also had frequent migraines or at least really bad headaches sine I was a kid.  I was having an episode this week while in the woods with my kids and decided to google it thinking I was the only one.  This just goes to prove whatever you are experiencing someone else is dealing with it too.
Well it happends to me its when i got to the store and i look at those hooks and the corners of like table and dressers and other pointy stuff its freaking annoing
=
Search for pain looking at sharp objects on facebook
Yes. Search for pain looking at sharp objects on facebook
=
Yes!  My son is the same age and experiences the exact same things you describe!
Avatar n tn
for your restless leg syndrome, have someone pop your toes before you sleep, it should get rid of it for the night and keep doing this for a couple months and it should eventually go away.
Avatar n tn
Like so many of us in this thread I have finally found others with the same problem of Sharp Edge Eye Syndrome (SEES) or Visual Looming Syndrome (VLS). I had been searching occasionally for several years but only just now found this. If anyone is doing peer to peer research on this problem, feel free to contact me at ***@****. I'll briefly add my symptoms, experiences and medical background to this list of comments.

I first experienced this problem when I was 20 while sitting in a college class. At the time it seemed like anxiety and still does feel somewhat related to anxiety, though I've never sought medical attention for any of these related problems. I am now 26 and the SEES/VLS had progressively worsened until several weeks ago when it got significantly worse.

I am normal weight, no medical problems, no previous neurological/musculatory/physical problems besides undiagnosed mild irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), TMJ with no pain but significant jaw click, and a slightly deviated septum. In general I am healthy and while I was more fit when the onset of SEES/VLS began, I am still healthy and actively staying so.

The symptoms are similar as many others here describe: edges, corners, sharp/pointy/thin objects in the view of ONLY my left eye cause a significant physical response and mental anxiety. My right eye has no problems whatsoever. Prior to several weeks ago, my SEES would gradually worsen over the course of the day with significant sensitivity and constant SEES in the evening until I went to bed. Recently, however, it is now plagueing even my sleep and in a much more profound way. I wake up in the middle of the night immediately anxious with strong SEES symptoms. It now impedes falling asleep and is immediately present in the morning as well. I now have SEES at all times of day with significant intensity.

My physical symptoms include much of what has already been said. The anxiety has already been mentioned. A pressure in the back of the eye, similar to the feeling of gently pressing on one's closed eye with their palm is present. A 'crawling', tense, numb feeling is present in the LEFT eyelides, side of nose, forehead, cheek, and more weakly in the side of the head and neck and are only brought on by SEES, when no triggers are present there are no symptoms while I don't think about it. The 'crawling' aspect can manifest as an undulating tensing (as if I was slowly tensing and relaxing muscles in the face), sometimes a vibrating, or a general pressure (also accompanied by the apparent numbness, though these would generally be mutually exclusive sensations).

Resulting from these symptoms is an avoidance of triggering objects, which is not always possible. SEES also induces a feeling/premonition that my eye will be impaled or injured in some way. Covering the eye with a hand, or featureless object controlled by my hand, can abate symptoms only for the duration that they are present. Removal of the blocking hand usually results in complete return of the SEES symptoms at the previous strength or worsening of them. In addition to 'blocking', touching/massaging anywhere on the affected tense area (eyelids, forehead, nose, etc.) can also reduce the SEES symptoms in a similar way, but with immediate return when touching/massaging is gone. Similar to others here, it can be masked by socially acceptable movements such as pinching the bridge of nose, putting a finger on the nose as if in thought, massaging forehead or just resting fist on cheek.

More recently, however, the symptoms have worsened to the degree that others here have reported. Some describe it as 'seeing double' out of the affected eye, I would call it more of a fuzzyness, out of focus or inability to control the eye in both direction and focus. However, at present it seems to be ONLY a feeling, with no outward visibility of a lazy eye; again, only present during a SEES 'attack'.

Controlling it has been mostly futile. The more I focus on the sensation the worse it gets. Attempting to force it into submission or for the sensation to go away only makes it worse. In general the only way I have found to avoid it is through touching the face or those rare moments when I can 'forget' about the problem and be distracted by something else.

I had a similar problem with another part of my body shortly before the SEES started 6 years ago. The thick muscle leading to the thumb in my palm had a weak, tingly, numb sensation and the only way to abate these symptoms was to rub/massage it. This only led to worsening of the symptom. Eventually I managed to 'forget' about the problem and only after doing so for several months did it go away completely, in additino to strengthening the thumb muscle through exercising it. I've noticed a similar trend with SEES that it becomes worse in both the short and long term by thinking/worrying about it. While there is a physical reaction to the SEES feeling, I do believe it is mostly mental in nature.

During particularly bad attacks, the feeling spreads to, as I can best describe it, the mind. My brain itself gets fuzzy, difficult to control, and the rest of my body can tense when dealing with intense periods of SEES. My left hand as well gets some numbness. The worst times for SEES for me are the bus (bus seats), the car (NOT wipers, but the windshield, stearing wheel and the bars on the sides of the windhsield), in a student desk (luckily not a student anymore), and any other common edges/corners from tables or computer monitors or water bottles on my left.

Alcohol does very little to the problem while intoxicated, possibly a small reduction while intoxicated, it may make it worse in the long term but I have not found a strong correlation on the order of weeks. I have not tried any other medication or drugs.

This is honestly the most frustrating long-term problem in my life. It reduces the quality of life so much. I easily lose hours a day of productivity due to dealing with this problem and no solution seems evident from my own experiences or from those of others here. Again, if others are looking for some peer to peer research, symptom comparison or cure comparison please contact me at ***@****.
=
=

I´m from Mexico and I was searching for answers to this kind of sickness or phobia. I´m glad more people have this thing and i´m not the only one haha

I have some problems with corners sometimes, for examples this problems are ALWAYS when I go to church, looking forward the priest bothers me because all the way through I notice a lot of corners, alsa when I watch TV or play videogames I have to cover all with pillows or any other stuff.

My parents think that it is because I don´t use my glasses but the thing is that when I use them, my eyes get even MORE bothered cause of the corners, I use sometimes my glasses.

I´ve read some comments here and I was wondering if someone has found some kind of treatment or solution, something to eliminate this??

Cheers.

=
You might want to read about 'visual looming syndrome' here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_looming_syndrome

It's an hypothesis, an attempt to explain the problem.
=
Viewing 401 comments: