Eye Care Community
Why do my eyes feel weird looking at certain objects?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Recently, I have discovered this new feeling related to my eyes. The feeling is hard to discribe but its quite strange.

When I look at certain objects such as trees, spears or anything pointy/sharp, I get this feeling within my eyes. This feeling forces me to look away from the object. I wouldnt call the feeling pain its more discomfort.

Sounds really weird but I dont have a clue what it could be related too. If I had to discribe the feeling, imagin someone holding a pin to your eye and slowing moving it forward, your reaction would be to look away, thats the best I can discribe it.

Hope you can help.

Mark
Viewing 1-200 comments:
I'm no doctor, but it could be Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Or it can be a number of neurological things.
I would recommend you start with a baseline eye exam by an Eye MD ophthalmolgist. Find one near you at www.aao.org

JCH MD
Dont feel bad, I have the same issue with my eyes, when I walk by a pointy object it makes my eyes feel like the object is actually poking my eyes, its a really uncomfortable, better yet irritating feeling, and sometimes I cant sleep because of it, but ive found that when I dont have enough sleep this happens mostly but should I consult a physician or is it sleep related?
-
I have this exact same problem... It's been that way for like ten years now. Sometimes even if my eyes are closed but I know there is a "pointy object" there, it still irritates me. It's almost unbearable at times and interferes with class, work, conversations, etc. Help?!?
Wow! I cant believe I found this!

I am experiencing this exact thing.

Any more theories as to what it could be?
-
I have exactly the same issue, and have had all my life. I'm 32 now. It's actually a relief to find other people suffer from it, after a lifetime of people half-jokingly thinking I was going mad!

As Mark wrote: "If I had to discribe the feeling, imagin someone holding a pin to your eye and slowing moving it forward, your reaction would be to look away, thats the best I can discribe it."

That's the perfect description. I've been examined by some of the best eye and brain docs around and no-one can explain it, but I'm determined to get to the bottom of it.

Can you email me - tomsav-**-*****-***-*** as I have questions galore to ask you all about causes etc.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it together!

Cheers,
Tom
-
Why all the '-' posts?
By your '-' post are you saying "refer to my earlier answer", ie "get a baseline eye exam"? Because if you are, that's no good as I've already HAD plenty of those. It seems to be a fairly baffling condition (or, more likely, a baffling symptom of another condition).

My thoughts are that the condition is more brain-related than eye-related, but I won't have the chance to check that with the other posters as someone has thoughtfully deleted my email address above. Hmmm, annoying, especially as the medics treating me could possibly have gleaned some useful info from those guys.

So, Mark, Nathan, Frog and Alex - if you see this and want to get in touch, send me a message using the MedHelp's messaging system - click on my username.

Cheers,
Tom
I have these weird symptoms as well. I really annoys me sometimes and when I try to explain it to people, they think im nuts! i'd really like to know what is causing this or moreover, what its called??? does anybody know??
Hello, I have had this for years sometimes worse than others at the moment it is really bad i fined it hard to drive or just walk around the house in the morning. it seems worse in the morning and now makes me feel really sick. I would love to know how to get rid of it because irs driving me mad.
Vicky
Hope you're all well. I'm still determined to get to the bottom of this. If anyone with these symptoms wants to get in touch and we can question each other about causes/effects/ways of preventing etc in an attempt to work out what the hell it is (or at least how best to live with it), then feel free to drop me a message - hover your mouse pointer over my username at the top of this message and choose "send message".
It doesn't matter what you tell your eye MD, anything they cannot see will be filed off as "subjective visual problems".    And yes, they more often than not will think you are crazy.    I haven't had those symptoms described here...but others.
I started feeling this when I was diagnosed with restless leg syndrome. It used to be just at night when i closed my eyes but the restless leg medication helped. However, I am started to feel the pressure on my eyes during the day.  I making an eye appt as we speak.
That was also one of the symptoms that appeared for me, really restless legs when I was trying to sleep.   That actually cleared when I added LDN to my protocol (low dose naltraxone).    Many have reported same thing on LDN, RLS cleared.     Look it up.

My husband has this exact problem! It gets wrose when he's tired. Sometimes if i have a fork in my hand while i'm talking to him, he'll have to look away because the fork is anoying him. Sometimes it's the windscreen wipers on the car that make his eyes start to hurt, sometimes it the corner of a cupboard! SO STRANGE!!!! I wish we knew what it was! I'd never heard of anything like this before i met him!
Okay. I definitely think the Restless Leg Syndrome is the common denominator... so what causes that? Some causes are dehydration, improper diet (not enough fruits & veggies), inactivity, & poor circulation. Maybe if the RLS goes away my boyfriend's Pointy Restless Eye Syndrome (PRES) will go away. He's had it ever since he can remember having it as a child. He believes he was not properly hydrated as a child and through adultood. That will be our first test to watch for PRES & RLS and their return while he's properly hydrated... process of elimination.  We'll keep y'all updated with the progress of the "hydration theory". :)
Hi ihoneybonveno - how are you getting on? Can I just say that I've never had RLS. A quick Googling of the symptoms and nothing seems familiar to me - yet I've had "PRES" (great name!!) all my life. Just in case that helps your research.
Tom
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about all of you with this problem, but am relieved at the same time as my 8 year old daughter has complained about this problem for a few years now. She had a bad episode tonight which made me look it up. I'm taking her to see our family doctor and hopefully get it treated in some way. It's heartbreaking to see, especially when there is nothing I can do for her. I've noticed it's worse when she's tired. She does drink plenty of water, but maybe the odd days she doesn't drink as much it may be worse. I will definitely keep an eye out (pardon the pun) for any changes. Thanks so much for all the posts, I've managed to tell my daughter she's not alone, so she can stop thinking she's some kind of freak. Good luck to all of you and I'll let you know if we have nay breakthroughs.
Hi again everyone. Now we're getting a few of us on here I'm sure we can make some progress in dealing with this.

I have a few questions for anyone who suffers with it to help rule out various causes etc, feel free to ask me any back:

1) Is it worse at any time of day (late at night, early morning, etc)?
2) Do you get headaches more than "normal"? If so is there a particular time of day you are more affected by these?
3) Have you ever had a migraine?
4) Does going for a pee help relieve the symptoms in any way? Do you notice you suffer more when you need to pee?
5) Have you ever had anything diagnosed as wrong with your eyes, head, neck or brain?
6) Do you need glasses/contact lenses? Near or far sighted?
7) Have you ever had your optic nerves examined as part of an eye test? Anything wrong with them?
8) Are you over/under/normal weight?

If we get some answers to those questions we may see some trends developing...

Cheers,
Tom
To start it off, my answers:
1) I often notice it more in the evenings
2) Yes. In the morning.
3) Yes
4) Yes and yes, as bizarre as it sounds
5) Yes - a few things. I'll see what others say to see what if any are relevant.
6) Yes. I'm moderately short-sighted.
7) Yes, they were slightly swollen.
8) Overweight.
My 8 year old daughter is seeing a paediatrician tomorrow, so hopefully he can give us some direction on what to do next.
I personally think it's a neurological problem and not the eyes. My daughter has great eyesight is slim and very fit (she's an orange belt in karate) Night time is definitley worse and first thing in the morning.
I will keep my updates going in this forum, hopefully we all can get some answers.
Hello all & Cheers Tom!

Tom - I'm so glad you dig the newly-named syndrome PRES (Pointy Restless Eye Syndrome)!  We liked it as well. I believe that must make it official - when two or more parties agree that an acronym and/or syndrome is appropriately named, right?... I just made that part up.

First up, I have to report on the "hydration theory"... that darn rebel boyfriend of mine is doing his job well of being a rebel and totally denying most forms of water (forcing himself on ocassion when I start to try and pour water down his throat) to help him advance towards the theory's proof.  But, (hee,hee) his rebellion is showing up as proof in its own way!  Although I truly cringe every time I have to watch him suffer, he has had symptoms every single day since then while not drinking nearly enough water to even be called a biological living creature.

Now for some answers to Tom’s questions from Bonveno:

1) Is it worse at any time of day (late at night, early morning, etc)? Yes. Early morning AND late at night… more so at night.
2) Do you get headaches more than "normal"? If so is there a particular time of day you are more affected by these? Yes. Evening.
3) Have you ever had a migraine? Yes
4) Does going for a pee help relieve the symptoms in any way? Do you notice you suffer more when you need to pee? No. No.
5) Have you ever had anything diagnosed as wrong with your eyes, head, neck or brain? Wrong in the head? Loaded question, Tom… and, his neck is REALLY messed up. But his neck hasn't always been messed up... not as long as he's had PRES.
6) Do you need glasses/contact lenses? Near or far sighted? Needs corrective lenses. Yes.Both near & far sighted
7) Have you ever had your optic nerves examined as part of an eye test? Anything wrong with them? No
8) Are you over/under/normal weight?  over

Bonveno thought he was the only one on the planet who had this weird PRES.  He's very relieved that other people are talking about the same thing. He doesn't feel so alone regarding this now.  Thank you all for continuing to talk & decipher the dilemma.  

Take Care & Happy Holidays!!
QQ
  ?
  *          
{-@@--}  
\    ^    /
  \  --  /

'      
I know exactly what you mean. I get that when I don't wear my glasses. It's your eyes trying to focus. It means you need some kind of corrective lens! It's your eyes being strained.
I also get this if I skip a Zoloft dose. Any of yous guys take an anti-depressant???
I disagree that it's eye strain (at least not just on its own) - if it were that simple eye docs would pic it up. I wear contact lenses and it affects me as much as it used to when I wore glasses and when I was a kid and didn't need either.

And I'm not on any anti-depressants. If you missed a dose of your meds would it not make you prone to notice *any* ailment you had a bit more, if you were feeling down?
I am not saying that in your particular case it's eyestrain. I am just trying to relate to what it feels like. Zoloft has physical withdrawal effects. And I am on it for migraine prevention not because I am depressed.
I just looked at this post out of curiosity, not because I experience this, but I just wondered whether it might be a form of synesthesia? (where the senses are 'cross wired').
Very interesting suggestion, thanks for that. I haven't looked into synesthesia before. I'll drop an email to a synesthesia researcher and get them to read this thread to see if they can see any connection. (While I don't have any of the 'classic' synesthesia symptoms, such as seeing letters as colours, etc, what I do have would certainly fit the bill for the brain being slightly cross-wired, as you put it...)
PS - I'm suffering as bad today as I have done in ages (I can barely look at the screen to type because of a corner in my eyeline behind the monitor). I mention this as I'm also full of a head cold and my eyes are "puffy" and I'm tired. In case that helps with other research.
Glad I've given you another line of inquiry, if nothing else; hope it's fruitful for you.
Holy heck I can't believe anyone has this problem too. I'm 38 and first noticed it when i was about 10 when walking through forests near our house and my eyes would go nuts with all the branches sticking out everywhere.I still have the problem in cars coz of rear view mirrors and in stores with hanging systems and i love to sew but mostly can't coz well that involves pointy needles. I love that someone has named it PRES.I would love a cure!

Cam
Hi, I've had an expert in synaesthesia look over this thread, and he said it doesn't look like it's related to that. So at least we can start crossing things off the list!

The doctor adds: "I would be amazed if it were related to your eyes, and I'm sure that it would relate to the brain (but not necessarily in way that is alarming or disturbing; all of our experiences are ultimately created by the brain)."

Interestingly he points out: "It resembles the normal condition of visual looming, but the looming is apparent (rather than real) in your case."

Visual looming is, as I understand it after a little light Googling, how your brain processes the idea of objects getting closer to you, so you know when they become a threat. So that may be worth more research.

Onwards and upwards!

Tom
Hello, I have been looking at so many different sites trying to understand this. I've the same problem and it makes it very hard to get through the day. Although I'm only fifteen, I've had this problem ever since I can remember. I'm so relieved to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this. I recently told my mom about it and she just laughed; its understandable. I showed her all the sites and discussions that I've read and she realized that I wasn't making it up.

The pain is unbearable at times, almost like someone is poking the back of my eyes. Even when you look away or close your eyes you can still feel it. I've had to put soft or non pointy things over top the corners of my dresser, tv, bed stand, as well as my computer, to make the pain go away. I have trouble sleeping at night sometimes, and during the afternoon is when it starts to worsen.

I will be checking back in with all of you hoping Tom or someone else has found the answer to this. Thank you all so much. :)
Hey,

Im 30 and have had this similiar problem since I was about 9. Pointy things that are shiney seems to make my eyes feel worse.  I dont get a pain but it feels very strange indeed. I find certain lights in places can make it worse. Sometimes when traveling on the bus and watching the lamp posts fly by can make them feel strange aswell. Ive never been really worried about it but if it can be cured I would happily get it sorted.

Brian.

mr_innes_1980***@****
Oh wow I am happy to meet all of you, and yes i have this problem too, i remember this since i was like 7 years old i am 36 now and pointy shiny things makes it worse i also feel pain in the back of the eye and my immediate reaction to a sharp or pointy thing is to close my eyes like if i was poked with that object, sometimes my eyes still hurt even while going to sleep. I really hope we find a solution together.

Chilena

Chilena
Hi everyone,

I also have been expirencing this since I was about 12 years old, I talked to a neurologist about it; but he just ignored what I said as I was only about 14 at the time and what I said didn't make sense, even to me.
The only person I've ever met who has expirenced it is my boyfriend; he calls it his "spidey sense" I call it "eye pokeyness".
I tend to shove my face into a pillow or press my fingers firmly on my eyelids until it goes away. I wonder if there is already a term for it, or if this is some new kind of neurological disorder.

It's nice to know we're crazy though!
Hi everyone,

It's nice to know we're crazy though!
Hi all I wanted to check in to see if anyone ever found out more information about this from the doctors. I do want to say that oddly enough I am experience this discomfort right now and the only thing that makes it better is squitting.  It feels like I am adding pressure which elimanates the discomfort.  
Glad I'm not crazy.

For those that don't know the 'feeling'... then imagine someone next to you is about to shoot a gun into the air. You 'wince' and squint, probably rapidly flinching your eyes your eyes knowing a loud bang is going to occur any moment. Your head may also move away from the gun. You drop your head down into your shoulders in anticipation. THAT is the reaction. plus a 'pressure' or micro headache forms behind my eyes somewhere.

Mine started as a child (no eye trauma or anything that I remember.)  I used to wake up in the middle of the night with the sensation of 1000 little spikes 'poking' inches away from my eyes. If I closed my eyes I could 'see' them. I covered my eyes with my arm and waited it out. They would eventually go away in 30 seconds, or a few minutes.

Here are some other triggers, which I'm sure some of you can relate to:
1) Windshield Wipers
2) Corners of furniture
3) Pens/Pencils being held by others
4) Silverware (forks) pointed towards me by others
5) Scissors pointed towards me
6) Movies (especially 3D ones) with 'pointy' objects, or panning an aerial view of the top of a 'sharp' mountain peak.
7) Picket fence tips while moving in a car
8) Objects in front of the TV or computer screen (like drink bottles)
9) Nightstand corners when laying down in bed
10) Watching the edges of a ceiling fan spin
11) Tree branches hanging near eye level
12) TV/Movies with animals 'clawing' at the camera lens.
13) Someone leaves the cabinet doors open, and they 'point' at me ;)

The feeling is as if the 'corner' or 'point' will somehow scratch/poke my eyes... even though I am fully aware that it wont.  For example, windshield wipers I *know* are separated from my eyes by durable glass. But, my eyes seem to think otherwise.  Squinting only slightly improves the sensation.

I told my dad as a teenager, and he said he sometimes gets the same things.  He remembered as a child not being able to look at the fence tops from the window of a train he rode often.

I also remember my piano teacher would point with her pencil at the notes on the page, and my eyes would water just trying to fight the urge to cover my eyes.  I never told her... I guess I should have ;)

My wife thinks I'm crazy, but tries to keep the 'points' away from me.  Sometimes she'll tease me and point them on purpose :-P

I wear contact lenses (near-sighted) and I seem to be OK putting them in.  I guess if I have 'control' of the object, the sensation is reduced.

It is not a 'fear' or 'phobia'. It feels like my brain is being over-protective of my eyes.  Closing my eyes usually does not 'help'.  The sensation of "about to be poked in the eye" is still there.  Shielding my eyes from the culprit (putting my hand between my eyes and the fork) is a quick remedy.

Belonephobia/Aichmophobia is the fear of Needles, Pins & Sharp Objects, but I have no problems giving blood, needles, or having the 'sharp objects' pointed or touching elsewhere at/on my body.  For example, point a fork at my knee and I could care less. Point it towards my head, and I'll quiver.

I am convinced it is NOT a physical problem.

Who knows. Some days are worse than others.  Mostly I try to occupy my thoughts with something else.  If I dwell on the feeling (or actively trying to convince myself it is 'OK'), it will just make it worse.

Good luck to all!
- rp
I have had this problem for as long as I can remember, the people who have described it describe it perfectly. I've told others about it throughout my life but everyone usually laughs at me, as if I am making it up. Anyways, I was molested at age 4 and no one believed me. So I repressed the shame, guilt, and pain which caused me to be a child of rage. Could sexual abuse been a cause?
And for me, it's only my right eye that is affected. I've noticed that my left eye can endure watching pointy objects, but my right cannot without becoming irritated. I wonder if that's just me, or if everyone only has the right one affected.
it could also be obsessive compulsive disorder btw. thats crossed my mind before
Hi. I don't think it's OCD related, not in my case anyway, nor do i think your abuse (as horrible as it sounds) was a trigger. But it's interesting that you only get it in one eye. Does anyone else? It's both eyes for me.
I have this "PRES" too!
Even when i close my eyes, i can still "sense" the pointy objects.
To describe the feelings, try to close your eyes and put both of your index finger on each of your eyes (while closing it). It kinda feels that way.
Sometimes i can feel the pressure on my Superior Rectus (One of the six eye muscle located above our eye)
Well that's all, I'm happy to know that I'm not alone :)
re your list:
Yep, it's the same thing alright! The things you describe are uncannily like what affects me.
Have any of you suffering with this ever had a CT or MRI brain scan? (PM me if you wouldn't want to reveal on a messageboard.) If so, what were they looking for, and what did they find?
Tom
Whatever is going on with you it effects the muscles that control your eye movement. Its probably nothing serious, trough.
repertusio listed many of my symptoms.  I'm 53 now and have had this since 5 years of age.  My father has the same problem.  I have it in both eyes.  I don't have restless legs syndrome.  People sitting across from me pointing at me with a pencil, as I've had happen in interviews, just about send me screaming out of the room.  I've even asked politely that they turn the pencil the other way.  Same with knives and forks across the table from me.  I need to cover the object or my eyes, or have the object moved so that it is pointing sideways. I agree that I can also sense the object when my eyes are shut.   I also rub my eyes a lot then to cope.  If I have my glasses on, I feel more "defended".  I have an eye exam every year, so I agree it's brain not eye.  I would love to be free of this problem!  Most people don't know I have this.  I'm a productive member of society.  But I would really like to get rid of this problem!
I have read through this forum and agree that we are all experiencing something similar. I have a really good hunch that this has to do with how our eyes put the image each eye recieves together. It also might have to do with how our eyes filter out background information around objects. I did some research about how we filter out objects and it seems that it is a complicated process which requires depth perception, focus etc. When we are having trouble looking at the corner of the tv, i feel like it is because we are paying attention to it because our brains are having some kind of trouble putting the images from each eye together and sorting out the wall or background (and its much different lighting (high contrast especially when looking at a monitor or tv) ) and this could be causing some of this pain.

That theory could be applied to all of the experiences like looking at a mountain peak in the middle of a movie scene, passing signs...especially those who have an issue with the windshield when the wipers are on....it speaks to trouble focusing on that object and the objects we want to see on the road....

anyways...I have yet to meet anyone who takes me seriously when I mention this. This is the second time I have ever spoken publicly about this and I only talked to a few doctors. I have noticed that I can change the frequency of the headaches (just cant predict if it will be more or less) by covering my dominant eye with a patch and doing things that require fine hand eye cooridnation for a few hours each day.

you people have no idea how happy I am right now to have found this place. I thought I was the only one in the world with this symptom. Not knowing how to explain it people is the worst part because I had to cover my eyes whenever someone was holding a pointy object near me and it looked so awkward. I have trouble drinking from a glass of wine which makes things more awkward when i end up drinking it from a mug.

When I get the PRES (great way to name it btw) i usually rub my eyes with my fingers and that can get really irritating when I am Driving or when i am trying to sleep. Knowing that the bed desk is near me i have to cover it with my pillows and sleep with my fingers resting on my eyes. I am getting the PRES as i type this message its driving me crazy. I would really like to hear from anyone as how they might have a different approach to dealing with this matter and maybe i might have a few things that could help as well. looking forward to hearing from anyone

P.S after reading what "eye_have_ pain" wrote it kinda makes sense but it doesn't feel that way. I just hope their will be a solution to this  
I was happy to find this forum as well. Do you notice that you rub or block one particular eye more often when you are doing that to relieve the pain? Does rubbing the eye basically just obscure the vision of one eye? I find that when I put pressure on my nose or rub my eye I am also blocking some of my field of vision with my hand or actually touching one eye so that I can still see out of the other one but no longer out of that eye.  

When I combine pressure on the skull, nose, or temple with either:
-blocking out the corner of my vision (like putting your hand beside your head and seeing foreword)
-squinting so that my left eye sees predominately
-or moving the eye so that it doesnt 'see straight'  anymore

It provides temporary relief. Thats one of the reasons why I believe that it could be the two images being put together causing the pain.

Another thing I recently tried was this:

When you are looking at an object like a pencil or a television screen or anything else and this pain arises, try to look through each eye, and pick the object you can see that is at the most extreme right and left of your vision(if you were at the mid point of a protractor looking foreword, it would be at 0 and 180 degrees or closest to it) , then concentrate on those objects. You dont have to divert all of your attention to them, just try as much as possible to balance paying attention to what you are doing/watching and keep those two objects in your mind and field of vision. Picking objects to focus on that contrast with the color of the room you are in or the place you are makes it easier. I would be curious to hear anyones experiences with that exercise.  

just some thoughts about your response.

Hi Nads and EHP, welcome aboard!

This question to everyone: do you get this eye discomfort when you are sat down, stood up, mainly one or the other, or both? If you get it when you're sat down does standing up help?
Hey Tom

I usually get it when I'm sitting down or laying flat on my back

hey,

to answer your first question, yes i do. especially in the dark or when the object is very close to one eye. second question also yes. usually when i am done rubbing my eyes with my fingers my vision becomes sort of blurry.

i have also tried covering the side of my eye with my hands whenever i get a chance and that seemed to help, but it can be difficult at certain situations especially while driving or talking to another person if you know what i mean. Squinting also helps every now and then but then my cheeks start to hurt hahah. i think ill go ahead and try the fourth approach you used to relive the irritation.

Thank you very much for the info.  
Hi everyone.

Based on a few private messages, and Nads' answer above, it seems this affects people predominently when they are sitting or lying down.

Over the next few days, can I ask all of you who suffer from this to stand up if possible when an attack happens, and report back if that helps.

I've got a good feeling about this – I had never really thought about it before, but I seldom get this pain when I'm stood up.

I've found (bizarrely, as written earlier in the thread) that going for a pee helped me with my symptoms. But thinking about it, that could have been a red herring, and it could have been the act of standing up to walk to the loo that helped.

If standing up helps for some of the rest of you, I think we might take a giant step towards working this out. But more of that later, if indeed it does help (please say if it doesn't!)
Has anyone tried standing up to see if the symptoms are reduced? Are they?
Tom
Standing up doesn't seems to help me. :(
Mine usually happens at night, I have to sleep while covering my eye.
What about you guys?, does standing up help y'all?
hey tom,

my problem is similar to yours, I usually get it at night and sometimes i get it while standing so there was no point for me to try it since i get it both ways. I also have to cover my eyes when i go to sleep just like you do. but i also noticed that sometimes getting a good night's sleep can reduce the attack by a lot. that's the best solution i discovered so far.
sorry what i forgot to write was my problem was similar to Fizy's
I experience a weird feeling every time I'm around equipment that could be dangerous.  This may sound weird but I think the sensation is a protective mode that our body produces.  I also believe it is a gift from God.  I first noticed the sensation when I worked at Coors in the warehouse and I would drive my lift truck passed the gears and chains that lifted the beer from floor to floor.  The sensation is almost like bugs crawling under the skin but always gives me a feeling like I need to stay away from those types of things.  I wonder if this is the same experience you are all having with your eyes??
I have had these conditions since I was a kid. I have mentioned it to a few opticians and they are usually stumped. I spoke to an optician today and he had no idea but mentioned having a look online. Don't know why I haven't looked online before.
I get PRES in all types of conditions sitting, standing, laying. The worst is a hardware store where there is a wall of tools hanging on hooks. I can't go down certain aisles. It is usually worse when I am tired. I also get RLS, mostly when I am over tired like on a long haul flight.
I also suffer from frequent deja vu, instances of which have lengthened as I have gotten older. When I was younger deja vu would last for a split second but as I have gotten older it seems to last 3-5 seconds.
I believe deja vu occurs when your eyes process the same information at slightly different speeds. This is somewhat inline with people's theories that PRES could be related to the processing of the image.

Wow, I'm so glad I found this thread.  My 11 yr old has been having this for the past 6 months.  I've done numerous internet searches and never have come up with anything until today.  When he first noticed it happening he told me about a week later.  I then made an eye appointment for him and besides his eyes getting somewhat worse his eyes were healthy.  Pediatrician checked him out and we were sent on our way...saying he was healthy...but she wanted the eye dr to do a recheck of his eyes just in case.  New eye appointment and all was ok.   Eye dr suggested seeing a particular lady in the area that does eye training...that maybe she'd have exercises for the eyes that would help whatever is causing this get better. I have yet to look into that.  Anyway, I've been having more conversations with him about it because it's really bothering him...particularly at night because there is nothing to distract him.  So the shelves on the wall, the corners of the dressers really bother him.  And to the person that said even if you close your eyes that it doesn't help...that's exactly what he said.  Watching tv is hard too because we have a coffee table underneath the tv and it has very sharp corners.  I feel so bad for him...and wish I could fix this.  One question i have for you all is do any of you suffer from anxiety?  I've also read a lot on vertigo and wondered if this was anything like that...the objective kind...where your brain is giving objects a sense of movement when there isn't any.  Vertigo doesn't always have to be feeling like things are spinning.  I even read somewhere and now cannot find the article about a particular vertigo that presents from horizontal or vertical objects...so I was thinking maybe it had to do with a malfunction in the brain.  What's interesting is that 6 months ago when he was trying to describe it to me he said "mom, it's not an eye problem...it's a problem in the way my brain is processing information...I know the corners aren't going to move toward me but my brain makes it feel like they will."...and went on to say something about the white matter in his brain.  Yeah, he's a little smarty!  I can't wait to share this thread with him to let him know he's not alone...but sad to hear that nobody has found relief....or answers.  
Good to have more people on the thread, hopefully our shared experience will help work towards solving this.

As more people come on board and want to talk about this, I think we need to think about the name PRES. As we don't know it's linked to RLS, the R in PRES may end up being misleading for people. Can I suggest before we get too far down the line that we choose a different name?

We could just drop the R and go for PES, but my suggestion would simply be CLASP Syndrome – Cannot Look At Sharp Points, which deals with the symptoms rather than possible causes/associations.

Any thoughts?
CLASP is good.  What about Pointy Edge Eye Syndrome or PEES...LOL  As it seems like it's not always just sharp points for people but sharp edges and corners of things.  However it does seem to mostly be because of the sharp corners of things.  Or Sharp Edges Eye Syndrome ...or SEES....kinda catchy.    I'd love to start a facebook page with the name everyone agrees apon :)

I also want to say my son says it does not matter if he closes his eyes either.  What helps sometimes is him just blocking the area with his hand held in front of him.  I don't think it matters if he's standing or sitting or lying down.  He said the grocery store isles were particularly bothersome...and that's in a standing position.  Also the more he thinks about it the more it bothers him....and why at night its appears worse because he's sitting still trying to relax without any distractions.

Carecare...mom to 11 yr old with this unknown syndrome
For those of you with bedtime "corner of nightstand/dresser" sufferers, try taking a pillowcase (something very smooth without ridges) and placing it over your eyes. Fold it in a 'strip' (2-3 inches wide) and lay it across your eyes.  It should help alleviate some of the sensations.   But beware, if you use a rough cloth (or a 'fold' touches your eyelids), the sensation may actually be heightened.  It sure beats falling asleep with your arm across your eyes!  Not as effective, but just enough to help me sleep.  (I tried an eye mask, but seemed too 'puffy' and 'scratchy' to a point where it just made it worse.)

To the Mom of the 11 year old boy... that was me!  I am now a 28-year old guy, and the problem still exists.  Tell him he's not crazy. Or if he is... then we're all crazy together :-P

I have found that my triggers 'change' over the years.  For example, I remember age 16, I wanted my drivers license, but was worried that I wouldn't be able to drive if it rained (due to windshield wipers 'clawing' my eyes.)  In later years, I asked my wife to drive if it was raining.  This lasted for about 8 years.  By age 24, windshield wipers bothered me 'less', but silverware (knives, forks pointed at me) bothered me more than they ever have. And yes, I do have "flare ups" where *everything* intensely bothers my eyes/brain. I found as a 'driver', it bothers me less than if I'm a 'passenger'.  (And it doesn't bother me much if I'm in the back seat.)

Good luck to all!  By the way, I like "SEES" because it is a clever acronym for an eye/brain problem :)

- rp
tomsav, I see your point about 'symptoms' rather than 'causes'.  Other ideas:

DASO - Discomfort Around Sharp Opjects

or, more specific...

VDASO - Visual Discomfort Around Sharp Objects

SEES is great. Far better than anything i suggested. Everyone agree?
Ok. Evening all. Time for me to reveal more about my thoughts behind this.

I have several things diagnosed as being wrong with my brain that i've held back from stating on here as i have literally NO idea if they are connected and i didn't want to cause undue stress (especially for parents of children suffering from this).

But now i genuinely feel revealing more about my medical history would make my position on things clearer. I hope it's used as general info. If you or you child has no other symptims, it is MASSIVELY unlikely they/you have anything seriously wrong. Re-read that. Brain illnesses come with lots of symptoms. Please don't worry unduely.

That said:

I suffered from SEES (i'm running with that name) far more when i was a child than now. I still suff a bit. But when i was younger i would get it in stores, during everyday life, lke you all say now. Nowadays, i only get it when sat down with a corner in my eyeline.

In 1999 I was diagnosed at the age of 22 with hydrocephalus. Water on the brain. They don't know how long i was suffering before my diagnosis, but it is likely years if not all my life.

In 1999 i underwent a brain op to reduce the pressure build up **and since then my SEES symptoms have been massively reduced**. This has led me to guess that it is caused by raised head/eye pressure. But only guess. My symptoms are reduced by standing up, which also reduces the pressure in your head.

My particular hydrocephalus was causing my brain to press against the back of my eyes. So i can't advise if i think it's the increased brain pressure, or he symptomatic increasd eye pressure, that is to blame.

To confuse matters even further:

My hydrocephalus was caused by a (benign) deformity in my tectal plate - the part of your brain that deals with visual processing amongst other things. So that could also be responsible. But i still suffer from that deformity yet my SEES has improved since my ICP (intracranial pressure) decreased, so i add that for completeness of information.

I stress again that even if we do all have increased brain pressure, i lived happily for 22yrs before diagnosis, and have been healthy for a decade since my op. It's not ideal but it's not earth-shattering. Don't worry! I am saying all this in order to rule it out.

I am currently obtaining my ten-year history of mri brain scans that i would be happy to provide to medics for information if anyone wants to see them.

I welcome your comments and again hope you don't see this as overly concerning, when it's most probably a red herring.

We'll get to the bottom of this one day.

All the best,
Tom

PS someone please rule this all out asap so people don't worry.
Thank you so much for posting your story Tom.  It might help others who are looking for answers.  I really appreciate it.

carecare
I think I speak for everyone on this thread when I say thank you very much for sharing with us something that is personal to you. It might help some people and it might not but at least its something to look at.

I would also agree that as a child I had minor attacks with my eyes. I guess some of us can say that this symptom progresses over time as we get older perhaps?

This is definitely progress, its things like these that make me appreciate the internet and technology :)    
Do any of you suffer from migraines?  

Do any of you suffer from anxiety?  

Those are the two things I have been wondering.

~Mom of a SEES son
My daughter who is 18 has suffered from SEES for as long as she can remember.  She has migraines and had a MRI which showed she has a slightly lower than normal cerebellar sinus.  When I goggled this it was somewhat connected to chronic fatigue syndrome which she doesn't have.  She does have anxiety and there is a family history of anxiety.  Also, her grandfather has restless legs syndrome and Parkinson's.  I have slight restless legs syndrome.   She went to an eye doctor who looked at her like she was speaking a foreign language then ignored it.  Her neurologist didn't have any idea what it was and suggested she google it and she found all of your comments.  Thank you for helping her know she isn't crazy and alone with this problem.  She is thin, says standing up only helps because the sharp object is no longer in her line of sight.  She is near sighted and wears contacts.  But she had this problem before her eyesight got bad.  I don't know if any of this helps.  Thank you for all of your comments.
Greetings,

Thank you all for sharing your comments. I am a 29-year old female and have experienced these same symptoms (which I have deemed "goofy eyes) for about the last 6 or 7 years. I finally searched "eye condition pointy objects" in Google this evening and was relieved to stumble upon this forum.

I was surprised to hear that so many other folks experience these symptoms. As others have noted, I'm comforted knowing that I'm not alone and/or crazy, but I'm sorry to hear that so many others are plagued with SEES ... especially the kiddos! I totally relate to all of your descriptions above. I was inclined to make an eye doctor appointment and do a Google search after numerous "episodes" this weekend in a home improvement store tool aisle, during a long distance road trip with splatters on the windshield, in a restaurant from drinking straws, and in my bathroom from the corners of an open pull-out drawer (to name just a few recent "triggers").

After talking with my husband and mom about the "episodes" this weekend, they recommended that I make an eye doctor appointment. I made the appointment today but don't know how much it will help. Several years ago I tried to explain the phenomenon to a couple of different eye doctors, but I never got anywhere. They listened but could not substantiate my concerns.

I often wonder if my sensitivity to pointy and shiny objects relates to computer eye strain and/or fluorescent lights. I work in a professional office setting and find that wearing computer glasses and "knocking out" the fluorescent lights above my desk has helped alleviate chronic migraine headaches. Nevertheless, I still continue to experience SEES. Besides wearing computer glasses to help my eyes focus on computer screens, I do not wear glasses or contacts otherwise. Has anyone else made a similar connection between their SEES episodes and computer use/fluorescent light exposure?

I am intrigued by all of your comments here and appreciate your stories and descriptions. I will continue to search more information and will report back to you if I happen to find anything insightful that isn't already discussed in this forum.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences, and best wishes to all!!

Most sincerely,
JS
ok I think I might have found something that could help some of you, don't want to jinx it but it helped me a lot. has anyone tried putting on your sunglasses whenever you start experiencing the attack? if yes did it help at all? I realized that light can be an big issue here and in this case the shades could help by blocking it out. I hope this will help everyone.
Hi again eveyone. If putting sunglasses on helps it could be related to the relief others get from pinching the top of their noses during an attack. In essense the glasses pressing on the nose could be doing the same thing.
To who asked about migraines and anxiety. I've never had anxiety but I was treated for migraines for years before they realised they were pressure headaches rather than actual migraines.
When the attack or episode happens, especially if you are one of the folks who covers or puts pressure on one eye:

Press on the center of whichever eye you would apply pressure to with the eye id closed trying to press on the pupil

Look to the right repetitively as far as you can for the right eye and the left for the left eye. Keep the other eye open. Really try to look far to the right or left. It should feel like you are straining the eye to look as far away from your head as possible.

I guess it could work with both eyes too... This is the way I learned to help myself with this. I have tried sunglasses which work sometimes. I have also tried a patch. I also noticed that there is a pressure point just above and slightly behind the temple on the head that can change the headache when I apply pressure as well as a place on my jaw.

When I do this and think about the relation between my two eyes moving it helps a lot. Especially with computers and tv screens.
One more little thing......I noticed I have a very dominant eye and the opposite one is the one that needs to have pressure for me, if I try to see a bit more though that eye after I do that excersise it also helps.
I've read this whole thread here, really wish someone had popped in and said "oh yeah, this is called (some fancy name)" but I'm glad to at least see that I'm not alone here.

I was just woken up from sleep by this. I had been asleep for 4-5 hours. I have a cold (this is the first night of it, noticed it start yesterday afternoon)

But it's so overwhelmingly bad right now that I woke up and searched google for "my eyes feel weird" - and this came up.

I just want to say... I'm 28, noticed this most of my life, doesn't only happen 'in real life', looking into spikes or points on a tv screen or even just in my mind's eye will trigger the response I feel in my eyes.

squinting is basically the only relief I can get, but I can't sleep when I'm squinting.
I have had the same issue with things " pointing at me" my entire life! I have just learned to deal with it but now my 7 year old son is complaining about the same problem. Has anyone figured out what causes this poin in the eye from things pointing at you? I find the worst culprits are table corners & straws in drinks. My son can't sit on one if our couches due to the angle of the tables & other pointy objects. Please help!!!
I sympathize with you being the parent of a child dealing with this.  My son is the same way.  The other day he was in my bedroom to watch a movie and my dresser was bothering him a lot so I just covered it with a blanket and he was fine then and able to watch the movie.  Table and shelf corners seem to be the worst for him.  I wish I had answers...but I don't.  Nor do most doctors.  It's a frustrating syndrome that is for sure!    
Another question for you all.  Are any of you gluten intolerant or have celiac disease?  My husband gets sick from gluten.  Not sure if it's celiac or gluten intolerant but I do know what he has is hereditary because his mother has problems too.  Now my kids are having issues and I'm about to get some testing done on my son who has this eye syndrome.  In a couple weeks he sees the dr and I'm going to demand they run a full celiac panel.  I know even if it comes back negative it doesn't mean he doesn't have it.   Many false negatives with blood work in this area.  Anyway, he has been having muscle aches frequently and that is the reason I'm bringing him to see his dr.  Muscle aches are common in people who have celiac.  If he is celiac ...then his body is in a state of inflammation...which could come out anywhere in the body really.  One of the symptoms of celiac can be vertigo...so if this is along the lines of vertigo then I won't be so surprised if it's related to his gluten ingestion.  At home he gets a lower gluten diet than the norm because I have to cook gluten free for my husband but he does get smaller amounts of gluten most days.  While at summer camp earlier in the month he was getting gluten in every meal.  He said his muscle aches were every day and worse than ever.  He also was bothered a lot by the chapel and all the edges and points in there.  He didn't like it one bit.  

He thinks he should just go gluten free and see what happens as he doesn't want a blood test.  However, I do want him to get a blood workup...because if it does end up positive I'll have more of an idea as to why he has these problems.  After his blood test I will let him go gluten free.  I don't think we'll do a small intestinal biopsy.  If he gets better gluten free...we'll know our answer.  
Just wanted to let you all know my son tested positive for celiac disease.  I will definitely let you all know if his eye symptoms get better once he's on a gluten free diet.  

Wow a lot of people are having this problem. But now seeing that 38 year old people having this problem makes me worried to have it my whole life :( and im only 14. Lets please figure this out this is torture ...
I have the same thing. Sometimes I feel when I look at tree branches they are going to go in my eyes. I also don't like to have straws pointing towards me unless Im drinking out of them. I think it's more neurological than anything.
Also suffering from this problem, 24 year old male here. It is actually pretty rare for me to get it but it started acting up when I was at the dentist recently -- that sucked! I also distinctly remember getting it while watching the movie 300: there is a scene where a rhinoceros charges directly at the camera. I don't have Celiac's disease, but I do have Ulcerative Colitis, which is another digestive disease.

So it seems that this condition has not been documented yet. It might be a good idea to contact a researcher, I'm sure they'd love to be the first to write about it.
omg i am glad to find this post and upset all at the same time. this wierd sensation started for me in early June of this year and already is driving me nuts. it is nice to know i'm not alone but upset and scary that no one has been given an answer from a medical professional. i have been told headaches, sinusistis maybe, anxiety. my doc really is not sure. it doesnt help that it is so hard to describe. i call it my wierd eye/forehead thing. it is totally affecting my life and my ability to enjoy activities with my children. i was starting to think i was going crazy. the only thing that seems to help is sleeping but that is not always an option. i had not noticed it to be related to pointy things but it is possible. i have not been able to find a trigger other than walking into a croweded store. i sure hope someone gets an answer and solution soon. it is debilatating. it scares me to hear how long some of you have been suffering. i have  an iron absorption blood disorder called hemachromatosis and was wondering if it could be related to that. does anyone else have that?
So the last couple postings I find very very interesting.  Could this eye condition be caused by inflammation in the brain...which I'm linking to Celiac disease at the moment.  Celiac can cause neurological problems...and inflammation in any part of the body...it's not just related to the bowels.  Anyway, I did a search on hemachromatosis and celiac and read an article stating 50% of patients with that condition also have celiac disease.  It's something to look into.  Also, I believe Ulcerative colitis can also be linked to celiac disease...or a higher rate of people having that end up having a diagnosis of celiac.  For other people who don't have other symptoms...if you have any family members that have celiac it's possible to have it and not even know it.  Often times if one member of a family has celiac disease they recommend testing everyone (brothers, sisters, parents and grandparents)...because if you have it and don't know it...your chances of getting other autoimmune disorders really goes up...along with very high chances of cancers and other health problems if you continue to ingest gluten.  

So, maybe there is a link to celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.  Sometimes someone tests negative on all the celiac screenings but realize gluten is still an issue.  Often people who are gluten sensitive end up having more nuerological problems from gluten than the actual celiac patient.  

There definitely might be a link here.  Good luck!  
Hello.
Male, 25yrs
I've been suffering with this since I was 10 years old, if I'm not mistaken. Initially it was just a small disconfort when looking at trees passing by while I was in a car. Until this year, it didn't really bother me that much. some times I would have to change sides on the bed so I wouldn't be facing the corner of a nightstand, or look away if I was a watching TV and the camera would focus on a helicopter's blades spinning. But nothing life changing.

For some reason, earlier this year it got A LOT worse.
It began to bother me at night, like a few other have mentioned here.
I had to start sleeping with my hand or a light cloth over my eyes.
That did the trick until this week.
The reason I'm writing this now is because now, even with my eyes covered, I still get this feeling. It's almost impossible to fall asleep if I'm not terribly tired. It also helps if I had some alcohol before, but that's hardly a solution.
It's getting worse on a scary speed, and I'm afraid how far it will go. And I don't know how long I can take it.
28/m.   Had bloodwork done, nothing 'wrong' with me. Everything is fine.  Crossing that off my list for now, I guess!

zinid: Some days/weeks are worse than others.  Sounds like you're at the worst, but it will get less intense in a few days (from my experience.)
I had this too. One of your eyes is confused. All you need to do is practice making the left eye ONLY pay attention to things on he right side of your vision and have your right eye ONLY PAY ATTENTION TO things on the left side of your field of vision. For me. This went away once I realized my right eye was looking into the right corner of my field of Vision during these attacks. Once I realized that and began to practice looking in the left range of my field of vision with my rigt eye, it went away with some hard work. Concentrating on the left side with my right eye,so gives me relief during an attack. This issue 100% has to do with your eyes putting an image together. It is a kind of eye strain I think is related to having a dominant eye and the way your brain puts together stereo vision. I figured this out because I work for a 3dtv testing company and I do work with covering and controlling left and right eyes etc.
Wow, I feel like I've just walked into a surprise party thrown for me by a bunch of friends I never knew I had! Until recently, I had never tried to explain this condition to anyone.

I have been suffering from CLASP Syndrome for as far back as I can remember. I'm a 36 year old male with quite a neurological history. In 1993, at age 19, I began having partial complex seizures (sometimes as many as 20 per day). These went undiagnosed and untreated until 12/30/2003, when I had the first of five generalized (grand mal) seizures. I then was put on medication (Keppra and Lamictal) that controlled the whoppers, but the partial seizures were only slightly lessened by the meds. Finally, on 9/27/2007, I underwent brain surgery (a right temporal lobectomy), which has corrected my epilepsy/seizure disorder completely (I'm still on Lamictal as a precautionary measure). The pathology showed the cause of the seizures to be hippocampal sclerosis.

Aside from all of that, I had a few ocular migraines between the ages of 22-28, and a couple of pretty intense anxiety attacks during the same time period.

Now, back to CLASP (my favorite of the proposed acronyms). The worst culprits for me are straws in drinks, TV shows or movies in which someone is pointing a knife, sword, gun, etc. at the camera (i.e., at my eyes), and people talking with their hands while holding a pen or pencil. Sometimes even the mouse pointer on my monitor gets to me.

I haven't paid much attention to when it is most problematic, but I think that if anything, I might find that it's at its worst in the early mornings or late at night. I have never experienced the discomfort just from knowing that there is a corner nearby, even if I can't see it, as some of you have described. I do find that applying pressure to the bridge of my nose or my forehead helps a tiny bit.

It's amazing that we have all found each other. I never thought I would be able to explain this to anyone.
hi im a 15 year old boy and ive had this for a few years now. It bothers me in class and i get headaches from this. I only get these "attacks" for around 2 weeks and then it goes away for a couple months and comes back. I also only get this in my right eye. We sould really contact some researcher so this can be like an official disorder and hopefully someone can find a cure for this.

Im 16 and I have the same problem too. I tried researching it but I cant find whatever symptoms is that. It's like my eyes gets irritated when i start starring at objects like a pen, fork, needle, knife, anything pointy or sharp. Its so annoying when it comes for me to sleep, like, im going to sleep already and i close my eyes and a knife flashbacks to my brain like its crazy. Ugh. Help.
You guys have to focus the eye that is involved on the opposite side of your field of vision. Really try to do that and the issue will go away. When you walk down an aisle in a shop and this happens it is because of your eyes wandering from each other,,,,,,becoming disoriented, or cross eyed kind of. You need to close each eye and see that your right eye sees the left side nd your left eye sees the right. One of your eyes is looking straight ahead and you need to orient it back to normal for this to go away. If you re young GO TO THE DOCTOR AND GET ONE CONTACT LENSE. you may have a slightly weaker eye that is bieng compensated for. I useto have this and I opened how to make it go away on the spot. My sister too. I hope you can use my advice too.
To get the hang of the feeling of looking right with the left eye and vice versa, you can practice in the mirror. once you do that you will understand how it feels iand you will be able to recreate that feeling without the mirror there and during an attack which is the key to solving this issue. At first it felt really wirrd to me to look foreword that way. Once i got the hang of it in the mirror  and tried it in an attack successfully it feels almost like I'm not looking straight when I am because I'm so used to this wierd issue screwing with my vision.

Anyways:

Close one eye (the one you think isn't the issue or the one you don't typically touch or cover/ pay more attn to during an attack ) and look at the closed eye with the other eye in the mirror. Once yu stare at the opposite eye for a minute, try to keep your vision from shifting while you start opening and closing the eye that was previously closed.

If you take your dominant eye and practice closing it and then blinking it while staring at it with your other eye in a mirror  i hope it could help you as much as me which was a biiiiiiiig help. It's important not to let the image "shift" when you open the other eye while blinking.
I think you have a dominant eye or an eye that sees better or easier than the other, over time the one which Is weaker has become less a part of our vision and began to 'wander' which is why page corners or pins weaned forks we don't really look at stay in our field of vision. For me even the corner of an open door hurts. It's just strain from the wandering eye looking at either the door corner when you are focusing on something else, or your looking at both sides of an aisle in a store and get disoriented. Practicing in the mirror at limiting this wandering and changing how you perceive your field of vision seems to really help.

I hope I am being clear enough for some folks to give this a try because I would like to understand if we can fix this issue either ith my method or by understanding the placebo effect it had on me and my sister that made this go away,
Wow, I have had this condition all my life (I'm in my mid 40s now) and have asked several doctors about it, to no avail. Basically, having any kind of edges or pointy things in my field of vision really makes me uncomfortable, queasy and anxious - it's as if these objects are coming at me and about to poke into my eyes, it's extremely distressing.

I remember as a child I would always dread the end of class when we had to put our chairs on top of the tables and all the legs would be pointing upwards, as if pressing on my eyes. Another thing that really affects me is when I'm in a store that has those metal rods sticking out with things for sale hanging on them. I always have to cover my eyes when I'm in this situation, as it makes me feel faint and anxious, as well as the sense that these things are pressing into my eyes. Another common thing is when I'm eating with someone sitting opposite me and their fork is pointing upward - I always have to turn it so that it's pointing down.

I'd love to be able to get to the bottom of this and find some solutions for getting relief. For now, it's at east comforting to know I am not the only one who has this (whatever it is), that I'm not nuts!
Oh my god i also thought i was the only one who had this! Im alittle discouraged though because noone knows what it is exactly...at random times if i see something sharp or even the traffic wires..the middle of my forehead between my eyebrows becomes sensitve and i have to put pressure on the spot till the discomfort goes away or whatever is bothering me is removed. This has been hapening since i was 11 years old. I hate when this happens because i cant even watch a 3D movie cuz the glasses hurt my head and even glasses themselves sometimes bother me. I wear contacts because i cannot wear glasses because of this problem. Please somebody find out what this is so we can try to gt rid of it or just know why we have this problem.
Welcome to all the new contributors. Has anyone had any updates on this recently? I'm afraid I've been distracted by work so haven't had time to investigate, but if anyone else has then I'd love to hear the news...

Tom
its been getting worse for me..now i get headaches when im at school from the feeling and i noticed its not always pointy objects but sometimes just anything close to me bothers my right eye. anyone know any remedies other than putting pressure on the eye? because that doesnt always work for me. hopefully we can get some specialist to figure this out becuz i want to get my drivers license and this bothers me when i drive. good luck evry1

Miguel
I posted a rather lenghty message on the 7th that has not shown up here.  Lets see if they let this one thru.  If so i will re post my thoughts and suggestions.
I recently examined a patient with "SEES" (my first) and we were able to give here some noticeable relief by reducing her astigmatism correction significantly(this isn't going to be a solution for everyone).
  The condition that you all describe is just fascinating to consider.  After reviewing ALL of your posts it appears that many of you find some relief by using either a visual or physical masking stimulus.  I'm guessing at the cause of your symptoms but I think that there maybe a bridging or cross stimulus from the form recognition centers in the visual cortex to pain receptor centers in the brain.  Similar conditions seem to exist for patients who.... sneeze when exposed to bright lights, see ALL printed letters in color, experience reduced muscle strength when viewing specfic wavelengths of light, are stimulated to seizure by specific flicker rates, experience improved reading speed and comprehension when reading thru light blue tinted lenses.  
   The above examples show that there can be a very strong or noticable physical reaction to visual stimuli.  If we can alter the visual input of an individual and reroute the stimulus to a slightly different receptive center( or cells)  perhaps there will be a change in your response to sharp or angular objects.
  Look for a an eye doctor that will take the time to listen and can think "out of the box".  Doctors with an interest in behavioral vision, vision therapy, sensory vision training or visual perceptual learning might be your best bet.  I am biased, but you will probably find optometrists a better resource here.
   I would ask your doctor to consider prism therapy, plus lens fogging, intentionally inducing low anisometropia or to work with you with differ
ent lens tints.  
  I am not considered an expert in my profession but I find visual perception to be fascinating and you folks have an intriguing problem.

I hope some of this helps.

Mark Cook,OD
Hi everybody

I first dicovered this thread a few weeks ago after having a bad episode of this myself. I have suffered for years with it and thought I was the only person on the planet with this condition. Seeing that I wasn't alone, gave me the courage to finally tell my family and boyfriend about it. So thanks everybody for telling your stories.

Since opening up about it, I have seen 2 different doctors. First doctor thought it was some kind of hallucination (like a hallucination of perception) and wanted to put me on anti-depressants and if that didn't work, then try anti-psychotics. She really didn't do much to diagnose me, so I really wasn't happy with that solution. She did however suggest seeing a clinical psyhcologist as well, which I thought was a good idea.

I then went to a second Dr who had absolutely no idea what to make of it. Neither doctors have heard of this weird eye problem before. The second Dr did not think I was crazy and didn't think that anti-depressants/anti-psychotics would help. The only thing he could suggest was seeing a clinical psychologist.

I went and saw a clinical psychologist who did a diagnostic test (344 questions). The test came back showing NO signs of psychosis/schizoprhenia but it did show some above normal levels of anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. The psychologist felt this condition with the eyes was probably brought on by a traumatic event when I was young. The only thing I could think of was a dog attack when I was 2 years old. I was bitten about an inch under my left eye by a Bull Terrior. I have an immense fear of dogs to this day and the dog attack was a big issue when I was younger.

The psychologist thinks that when I was attacked all I saw was the dog's sharp teeth coming at me and his eye - and this is where my issues with sharp objects and eyes has originated from. (I have an issue with sharp objects, corners, poles, and eyes - like cross eyed people and when people look out of the corner of their eyes).

The psychologist thinks that this event combined with being stressed throughout my childhood has resulted in my anxiety and OCD behaviours now. When I get stressed, my eyes play up (like a psychosomatic symptom).

The psychologist also thinks it sounds like an OCD realted to symmetry. The corners only bother me (I think) when they are too the side of me. If I stand in front of a table in the middle of the table, then the corners on the table don't bother me. If I stand so the table is on one side of me, when a corner is facing me, then the poking in the eye sensation comes on. I can look at people's eyes if they are looking straight but as soon as they look to the side or if someone is cross eyed, it bother me. Even thinking about it now is getting to me. Arrghh!!!!

Like other people have mentioned, I also have this problem when my eyes are closed, just knowing that an object is near me.

Anyways, so Glad to know I'm not alone! We will get to the bottom of this, it's just going to take some time. I will keep you all updated on my progress. Please let me know if my pshycologist's diagnoses may fit anyone else. Has anyone else had a traumatic event that way have trigged this off? Do you suffer from anxiety or OCD? Do you think it could be an issue with symmetry?

Cheers

Kellie (australia)

drcook474

Thank you so much for your response, I will look into everything you said. If I can help you, please get in touch.

kellie7

you make a fascinating point. I fell over and split my eyebrow open on the uncovered thermostat of a radiator when I was a toddler, so if what your doc says is true, it could the vision of that pointed spike heading toward my eye that is responsible. I don't think it is, as I'vve said I think it's physical not mental, but it's certainly worth considering. Has anyone else suffered eye/face trauma or somesuch?
I must admit I am a little torn as to whether it is physical or mental. I have swayed towards it being mental mainly because I still get the sensations when my eyes are closed.

I'm hoping my clinical psychologist has hit the nail on the head because i really want to get over this, however, my clinical psychologist has said there are no guarantees and it is trial and error with these things, unfortunately.

I have also thought it could be physical and maybe diet related. After doing a bit of research I found if the brain is lacking certain vitamins (like B12), then messages can get messed up in the brain. I was a vegetarian for about 12  years and did end up being low in Iron, B12 and some other things. So I wonder if vitamin deficiency could be an issue? If the clinical psychologist can't help me, my next step will be talking to a naturopath and whoever else may be able to make dietry links.

I should also mention that I started wearing glasses four years ago as I am short sighted. I have never mentioned this weird eye thing to the optometrist though becuase I was too embarrassed. Again, if the psychologist can't help me I will definately try and find a good eye doctor in my area to talk to.

Also, I did ask one doctor about the water on the brain issue that you mentioned in an earlier post, but he was confident that I wouldn't have water on the brain as I don't suffer headaches. Also, it doesn't matter if I am sitting down or standing up, I still get this problem.  

Interesting to hear your story about hitting your eyebrow on the corner of the thermostat. Will be interested to hear if anyone else has similar incidences.

man this is really starting to kick my ***. my eye was bothering me alot yesterday on christmas and i was pretty sad. I want to start getting tests done but theres alot of different things people have been saying can cause this. What kind of doctors and tests should I start getting?? Maybe an MRI, celiac disease test, bloodwork?
and i dont think i ever had a traumatic experience. if i look at a corner straight on it doesnt bother me, only when theyre in my periferal vision. i also noticed it might be related to artificial lights because monitors bother me and the lights in school
So relieved to have found this group. My son, now 25, has suffered from this since he was 5. His eye pain comes from drinking straws, store display hooks, having multiple soda bottles in front of him on a table, and also from reading books - he says it's the middle of the book (line down the middle) that bothers his eyes. This last symptom is unique from what I'm reading from you all. It's odd how at times it bothers him a lot, but then he can go for years without mentioning it.
He is currently in prison (has been there 4 years) and the symptoms have become increasingly worse. For this reason, I believe that stress or anxiety play a role in it. However, when he was young I haven't found any reason for him to have stress, yet it still affected him.
Wrestler 15

I'm the same with the periferal vision you mentioned. I'm ok when I'm looking at things dead straight, which has led my psychologist to think I have an OCD to do with symmetry.

Will keep you posted on my progress. At the moment my psychologist is doing exposure treatment with me - making me look at objects I don't like looking at for up to 30 minutes at a time. Hoping this works. I will give this a few months before I start looking at other avenues.

It's interesting your psychologist is doing this with you, let us know how you get on.

I'm extremely sceptical about his/her approach though (as I've said, I'm firmly of the belief this is primarily physical not psychological). Have you asked for this, or has he taken the decision this is a psychological condition and has launched into what by definition is quite stressful treatment without knowing if there is any hope of success? Are you paying per session? Does he have any neuro/opthalmic expertise? I'm just concerned he's doing the medical equivalent of getting you to stub cigarettes out on your leg in the hope it cures cancer (while coining it in watching you do it)...

But if you're happy to go along with it as a 'guinea pig' then the best of luck!
Interestingly enough, when I went for my appointment with my psychologist today, she had been doing more research into possible physical causes of this eye problem. She really wants to rule out any physical possibilities as well. She even rang a good optometrist in the area to get his opinion... and would you believe it, the optometrist she spoke to actually gets a bit of this weird eye problem himself, not to the extent I do, but he certainly seemed to be aware of this eye 'syndrome'.

The optometrist told my psychologist that stress could definately be a big factor but there could be some other issues with optical nerves (??) as well.

I think my psychologist may have hit the jackpot here with regards to finding an optometrist that has heard of this problem and even experiences it a bit himself. Needless to say, I have booked an appointment with this optometrist tomorrow afternoon, so he can check my eyes out and I can find out what he has to say. So stay tuned for an update!

PS. I am a bit skeptical like you and not very trustworthy of people (especially when money is involved), so it's such a relief to have a psychologist that acknowledges that their could be physical symptoms involved and even contacted an optometrist without me even suggesting it. Luckily in Australia, the government pays for us to have up to 10 sessions with a psychologist every year. Having just started a new year I have another set of 10 up my sleeve, so I haven't had to pay anything yet. So definately happy to be a guinea pig for us all while it isn't costing me anything. hehe.  :-)
Just to clarify, the psychologist doesn't sit with me while I do the exposure for 30 minutes. I do that for homework. hehe... that would be really bad if I just sat there looking at objects while she looked at me. Sorry if I confused you with that.

She has stopped me doing the forced exposure for now and is just getting me to look at objects more naturally rather than turning away and trying to avoid them. I actually think this has helped a little bit but it is to early to say definately. I also do deep muscle relaxation morning and night as well as doing 3 lots of 5 minute sessions focusing on breathing throughout the day (everyday).
and one more thing everybody... my psychologist asked me to go and get my blood pressure checked as high blood pressure can cause problems with the eyes. Has anyone else with this problem experienced high blood pressure?

Cheers

Kellie
hello i got the same problem as u guys i am squinting as i am writing this lol wat should i do about it
that last message was for everyone btw
I have truly suffered with this problem my entire life (age 56).  Interestingly in my case, my father also had this problem and so does my daughter (age 21) - and the issues are exactly as described by many of the posts here.  Until reading these posts and visiting an extremely kind and professional doctor (drcook474) today - we thought the problem was unique to our family and that we were the only ones on the planet suffering from this.  It is unfortunate, but actually hearing that others have this problem - and that we are not crazy or alone - is very comforting as others have said.

SEES is fine, but personally, I like the acronym CLASP as that nails it.  I Cannot Look At Sharp Points - forks, pencils, corners of furniture, straws, scissors, etc. - and the nearer to my eye those objects are, the worse it is.  The resulting pain (also well described earlier in these postings) seems to be intensified if these pointed objects are pointed at me or if they are coming at me...and the worst situation is when I cannot cover the point or move it out of my line of sight.  Although, I too do not recieve relief simply by closing my eyes - the point is still there and causing pain (I'm sure you fellow sufferers will relate).  

But I think there is some GOOD NEWS in that Dr. Cook has taken a geniune interest in trying to diagnose the problem - and with his expertise and experience, perhaps some suggestions may be forthcoming to alleviate the condition.  Based on our discussion today and reading through all of the posts in this forum, my "guess" is that my  problem is more caused by the brain than the eyes themselves.  Dr. Cook is currently working with my daughter and me and I will be glad to supply future updates.  I need to mention that Dr. Cook is the first eye doctor who has taken such an interest in our case.  A few years ago, I even went to a team of eye specialists at a prominent local university who could not understand the problem and essentially dismissed me as having some type of OCD.  

I cannot close without thanking Dr. Cook - and the other participants in this forum who are all trying to help.  
SEESdad55 - Thankyou so much for sharing. I can't wait for your updates!

I've been meaning to give everyone a progress report too.

I saw the Behavioural Optometrist over a week ago now and he did pick up some eye teaming problems with me. He called it "Convergence Excess". He said Vision Therapy may help a little with the poking sensations but there are really no guarantees. He actually thinks these weird sensations come on as a result of stress. He experiences them himself when he is stressed. So he suggested I keep seeing my psychologist to deal with my anxiety. He also said I would be no good at vision therapy at the moment as it would trigger off the weird eye sensations and I need to learn to relax a bit more so I can handle the vision therapy.

I was chatting to my psychologist today and she no longer thinks it is a psychosomatic symptom. She thinks the pain in my neck which is brought on by stress is affecting the optical nerves in my neck and is resulting in the weird eye poking sensations.

I asked my doctor for a referral to a neurologist as I would like to see if they can pick up any nerve damage. the dr wouldn't give me a referall - he said I have to see an opthamologist first. So I will be seeing one tomorrow, though I have a feeling they won't find anything and will just send me for an MRI.

Will keep you posted.

Certainly input from all angles / professions is welcome, but I cannot agree that SEES is caused by stress (I'm interested in others' thoughts about that).  I cannot look at pointed objects whether I am under a high stress situation or getting a massage on the beach - they bother me just the same.

However, I will say that the problem does seem to intensify if I am very tired or not feeling well (so, perhaps that is stress related).  But just wanted to make the "point" - please pardon the pun - that for what I've observed in our family with 3 SEES sufferers, the problem is certainly not caused by stress.  Considering my daughter experienced it - often severely - on a regular basis when she was simply playing as a young child.

Would be interested to hear from others whether there are particular times or type of events that either cause or intensify SEES for them.  For our family - it is anytime, anywhere there are pointed, sharp objects around.      
SEESdad55 and drcook474,

I went to the opthamologist today and after what he had to say, I think we are starting to merge on to the same path.

The opthamologist said my eyes looked great and there are no physical probems. He seemed very confident that the issue is synesthesia - the brain making connections between seeing certain things and having these poking sensations.

This description seems to be what you are describing and what drcook474 described back on the 14th December 2011 when he stated  "bridging or cross stimulus from the form recognition centers in the visual cortex to pain receptor centers in the brain".

drcook474 - is synesthesia what you are referring to?

I've been googling synesthesia and there is a genetic link, which would explain why a few people on this forum have had other family members that have also experienced it.

SEESdad55, I know my eyes can be worse when i'm tired and stressed but perhaps stress/tiredness is not the cause but simply intensifies the sensations, as you said.

I've always thought it was a brain related thing but I also never thought I was crazy, so this synesthesia is sounding very plausible to me.

Fingers crossed we are getting closer to some more definitive answers! Although it didn't sound like there was any way to fix this problem. The opthamologist said it may go away on its own if the brain doesn't find the connection necessary/useful in the future.
Hi everyone, hope you're all well.

Re synesthesia - it's been suggested before. However I got an expert in the field to read through this thread and he said he didn't think it fitted the bill; certainly to his mind it's no previously recognised form of the illness. Search the thread for synesthesia to see the posts from the time (i'd give you the date but i can't do a search from my ipad). But a second opinion is always worth hearing.

And as i've said previously i'm certain SEES not caused by stress. People with it may get stressed but that doesn't mean stress is responsible! I'decho what Seesdad55 said - i get it worse when i'm tired or ill but i also get it in the most stress-free situations and not in the most stressful.
I worked out how to search: those synesthesia posts were in the days after Dec 7 2010.
Yeah with the stress thing, it's kinda like what came first, the chicken or the egg? Does stress help bring on the SEES or does the SEES create anxiety because I'm always worried it could kick in badly at any time. I know it creates anxiety because i'm always worried about it. :-( So maybe stress is an effect of the SEES and not the cause.

I did look over the entire thread yesterday and did read the synesthesia posts you mentioned. I thought it might be worth bringing up again since my opthamologist seemed to be referring to it. He specifically said to me that what I have "is like someone that can see music". I think he may have even said the word "synesthesia" but may have said it so fast i didn't catch on. Anyhow, when I came home and googled "people who see music", it came up with "synesthesia".

I wonder if people who suffer this are too embarrassed to come forward and that is why it has not been studied and that is why the synesthesia expert had not heard of it?

Hopefully drcook474 can shed some more light on SEES as he works closely with seesdad55.

First - SEES is easier to pronounce than synesthesia...so let's stick with SEES.  Just joking, Kellie7, I appreciate that you are looking into that angle.

In regards to working with Dr. Cook, his style and approach is so opposite to some of the doctor feedback I am reading here - and that I've heard myself....such as...it must be stress, or it will probably go away on its own, etc.  Although, I will say during my first meeting with him - we agreed on a  a very good point - that SEES does not appear to be damaging to vision or overall health - and there are certainly worse eye or neuroligical conditions that we could be suffering from.  I think that is a good perspective.

That being said - Dr. Cook does realize the severity and reality of the problem and my daughter and I are glad to be his "Guinea Pigs".  It was actually quite funny when he met with us - does this pencil bother you? how about this furniture corner? how about in the bright light...or how about dark?  After much patience and questioning on his part (with us painfully looking at many pointed objects), he really seemed to understand it...and we discussed several different theories.  

His first attempt for a fix was to try to affect how we are actually seeing things - my daughter and I both wear glasses - so he adjusted tints, prisms, etc. to try to get us some relief.  My daughter reported a degree of relief from some lens adjustments - me, not at all.  As I told him, when a pointed object can "bother" me even with my eyes closed, I don't know if changing my lenses will change anything - but doing so certainly may help others - as was the case with my daughter.

Well, I am probably "butchering" the proper medical terminology and approach the good doctor is taking with us.  Essentially, we are in a bit of a wait and see mode now; he wants feedback from my daughter re the lens changes and he is going to continue working with us.  I'll keep y'all informed - and/or Dr. Cook may weigh in again as well.

Peace, Out

I cannot express fully what finding these posts have meant to me.  I am 46 and have suffered with this all my life.  My mother took me to an eye dr. when I was 7 or 8 and he said I would grow out of it.  Wrong.  I have told many people about my problem only to get funny looks, jokes and laughs.  But is so not funny.  My worst things are knives, pins, scissors and sharp corners. When my little girl sits by me and reads a book with the corner pointed towards my eye, OMG it kills me.  I have googled for post before but never found anything. I knew I could not be the only one.  I look forward to reading all of the stories above.  Good luck to us all.
Mcalislr - Sounds like you're classic SEES - the corner of the book pointed our way has not gotten much mention here...but that is certainly one of the worst causes for me as well.  My wife has actually rounded off the corners of magazines and books in the past so I can tolerate them.  We have board games where we've rounded off the corners of all the playing cards just so my daughter (also SEES) and I can play, talk about weird questions from new friends.
I'm also wondering - how do others deal with going to the dentist?  That is something I dread - with the sharp utensils and dental instruments moving around near my eyes, I almost go crazy.  Actually, I'm getting a SEES pain attack just thinking about it - hope I didn't trigger anything for others.

Excellent post on this topic.  Until I found this site which was today, I thought maybe when I was young someone had jabbed at my face and I just did not remember.  And that it was more of a phobia.  But I think this blows that bc I'm not the only one anymore.  I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE ANYMORE. :)
Welcome aboard, Mcalislr. You're right; you're not the only one any more!
Welcome mcalislr! Yes I struggle at the dentist too! :-(

I'm 28 years old and when I hear of people in their 40's and 50's who have lived with this for so long, it makes me sad. I really hope we can get some kind of solution.

I'm keeping my mind open to all possibilities at the moment, although I do feel "synesthesia" or some kind of cross-wiring in the brain could be a plausible cause. I've been doing a bit of researching into this and similar conditions. Has anyone heard of "phantom limb syndrome"? This syndrome relates to someone that has had a limb amputated but still feels pain in the limb even though the limb is not there. Apparently some people with this syndrome have used hypnotherapy to try and fix/improve their situation. I may be cluthching at straws here in desperation but I wonder if hypnotherapy could help us people with SEES. Has anyone ever tried to overcome this problem with hypnotherapy? Just thought i'd throw the question out there.

Of course we would need to be able to explain to a hypnotherapist exactly what we are dealing with before they could help us. Argghh.. the stuggles of being a person with SEES!
Oh my! I'm not the only one! I've had this for years, I'm 25 years old, have perfect 20/20 vision, suffer from headaches more than most but blame it on being in front of a computer screen for 14-16 hours a day.

I've never been able to face the wall while sleeping because I feel its too close to my eyes. And today, having slept badly, it's extremely bad. I feel nautious looking at the computer screen and get a sinking feeling in my stomach.

However normally it's just freaking out that something is going to stab me in the eye.

Someone find a cure please!
It's been since the December 16th that my now 12 yr old son has been gluten free.  His biopsy for celiac disease was negative but his blood test was positive.  It may be a false negative especially with the positive blood test.  I know he feels better off gluten (muslce pain goes away) so we are sticking with it.  Guess what else has really improved?? Yep...I happen to ask him how his SEES is doing and he said "hmmm...you know I really don't notice it..or maybe I'm so used to it..but it's not bothering me."  I took off the pillow cases I had blocking the corners of his dresser and shelves in his room and he has not complained.  That was a big one.  I don't see things being covered up in other areas of the house..like the coffee table edges.  I will ask him more about it soon...but I really believe maybe there was inflammation somewhere in the brain from consuming gluten.  Inflammation can be anywhere in the body when someone is gluten sensitive or celiac.  Having neurological issues because of gluten sensitivity or celiac is very common.  I just wanted to let you all know as it may help you!  
~~CC  
Hey kellie7 its interesting you said  something about problems in your neck because I get this weird feeling in the right side of my neck and right behind my ear and I usually twist my neck to my left shoulder or press on the spot behind my ear to go away. I think its SEES related because I only get it in my right eye and its a similar feeling. Maybe it has something to do with the nerves being messed up in that area or sumthing.                                                      
Hi Wrestler15

With regards to the "nerves in the neck" theory, the opthamologist I saw last week ruled this out for me as he said all optical nerves go straight from the brain to the eyes. So the neck ones would not affect me (in his opinion).However, stress does build up behind the eyes, so the nerves could be affected by stress where the eye nerves are. In your case, if you get pains in your neck also, then perhaps in your case their might be issues with the nerves in your neck?

carecare35,

Thank you so much for your update. I've been waiting to hear how your son went with the celiac test. A doctor I was seeing a few years back told me that she thought I had a food intolerance. I can't remember if she said it was to gluten or wheat. I've tried to track this doctor down recently but unfortunately she is no longer practicing. She was an Integrative Health Specialist and I would have loved to have gotten her 'holistic' opinion on this SEES condition. My own mother has also been questioning diet and wondering if this could be affecting me. I still eat wheat and gluten despite what the doctor told me.She said it may not be affecting me (at that time) but eventually it would. She did not know I suffered from SEES. I would love to know how your son gets on and if the improvement continues. If it does, this is certainly another avenue I will be looking into seriously.

Regards

Kellie

I have had the same problems as all the above comments more or less. It started when I was a kid from about 7 to 13 years of age and then disappeared. I am now 46 and it started about a year ago. It is very frustrating as you all know. I to went to an optometrist and he had really no answer for me. I wear glasses and I am far sighted. I do have a lazy left eye as well. There are many factors to what triggers the symptoms. As mentioned in the previous posts. Clothes Racking in a department store. pencils and pens pointed towards me, the daytime flourescent white lights in my ofice, papers stacked in my office and the edges pointed towards me, Night dresser in my bedroom, pipe ends, wood ends etc. etc. I am even having difficulties in typing. I am finding I miss spell words more than ever. Its almost something to do with concentration or something. Even my driving has been hampered several times as well. I always maintained a steady weight approximately 190 lbs, I am 5'-11". I have no known allegies and have no medical issues at all. Knock on wood. A couple of years ago I gained approximately 20 lbs and I started going to the gym to lose the extra pounds. Im not sure if this has anything to do with it but thats when it all started. I find that when this happens, my mind is usually not involved, I know this does not make sense becasue i said its always when I concentrate on typing. When I am really involved in something or super busy , nothing bothers me. I work in an office with daytime lights that I was thinking of changing because it seems to start the feeling or enhnace or something. It helps when I am in a dimlit place or when the lights are off. I noticed that if I take 2 advils or tylenols, the feeling does diminish. But I dont want to be taking pills all my life, sooner or later that will stop working as well once my body gets imune to the pills. I also close my office door and close the lights and lie down for about 10-15 mins. (power nap) when this happens. When I awake I have no problems with any objects and continue normally for somtime. I run my own business and I know this may not be possible for everyone. I really wish someone would find a asolution to this problem
Wow, I have been meaning to Google this for ages and I am so happy that I found something that actually makes sense to me!

For as long as I can remember I have experienced similar symptoms to you all. Corners of furniture are particularly bad, and still every time I'm in certain shops the feeling is overwhelming and I have to look down and run out of the shop. I look/feel like such an idiot doing so but there's literally nothing I can do and the feeling is just horrible. There's no pain, just extreme discomfort.

I'm sixteen, normal weight, and there is no particular time of day which I have found the symptoms to be worse. Also I've never noticed any relief after going to the toilet but that might be something I'll have to keep an eye out for! ;)

I also suffer from venephobia (fear of veins) after several bad experiences with needles and never considered an interconnection between the two until somebody earlier in the thread suggested fear of needles to be a possible cause. Anyway I'm pretty sure that I suffered from the eye 'problem' before my phobia came along.

I also don't have any other symptoms that suggest that it could be SEES, I am a very visual person but not to the extent that colours represent letters etc.

I apologise if you've already solved the case and I'm pointlessly waffling here, I got about half way down the thread before deciding to post this, and I plan on finishing reading it tomorrow.

Thanks for any help/support, I feel so much happier to know that it's not as rare as I've thought all these years!
What a fascinating subject!  While I have never experienced this, it IS interesting that this affects so many people and yet there seems to be little or no medical interest or information on it, probably because it is so subjective and without medical consequences, so to speak.

Let me run an idea by you:  

Eyesight is obviously tremendously valuable to us, and anything that threatens our sight represents the gravest danger to our existence.  Suppose that some of us are genetically wired to be more sensitive to any kind of threat to the eyes, even the merest visual stimuli that suggest such a possibility?

If that were the case, then perhaps medications that treat anxiety bigtime, like SSRI antidepressants for example, might be a logical approach to what could be termed an 'irrational fear," since real danger is not an issue, but rather a completely involuntary, hard-wired response to a stimulus suggesting danger to the eyes.

Have any sufferers here been on a medication like Zoloft for a *sustained* period in your lives, and if so, have you noticed any difference in your feelings about pointy objects while under treatment?

Does anyone also have any kind of facial or body "tics", social anxiety, routines you do pretty much all the time?? Has this been going on since you were a child? I am 31 now and just starting to realize something is really just not "right" with me. My doctor seems to think its either tourretes or a form of aspergers. I have had this eye problem for as long as I can remember, but also when I've been prescribed glasses I can't wear them because I get this horrible pain/ burning behind my ears(in head) that goes down the sides of my neck. Please if anyone else knows what I'm talking about help...
I am on depakote for my "tics" also on Paxil for "social anxiety"
I just have to say I think that whatever this is it is somewhat different
For everyone. I don't think it has anything to do with what kind of lighting your
in i have had this problem my entire life and this happens everywhere
I have to pull over sometimes and have someone else drive! I have a lot of other issues that I'm trying to also figure out I'm now thinking maybe this is also some kind of neurological issue. This is definitely not a physical issue or from trauma as a child
Certainly glad I've found a community of people who suffer from this as well. I was so ashamed of it, all my life. I've always lived a high-profile life but never told anyone about this and still, to this day, I cover my face with my arms when I sleep. Thanks to all of you.
I really hope some of you decide to try a gluten free diet not just low gluten...but a completely gluten free one because it is the only way to know if gluten sensitivity is what's causing problems.  My son is still doing well.  He never complains of his SEES anymore.  I'm pretty confident he has celiac disease...blood work positive but his biopsy was negative.  He never wants to eat gluten again because he sees such a change in how he feels.  

If any of you decide to give it a try be strict and stick with it for a few months.  It takes time to heal from gluten damage if that's what is causing your problems.  I hope someone decides to see if it helps them with their SEES like it has for my son!  Keep us posted.  

CC
Thanks for the update CC! Can I ask what the biopsy involved? What part if the body do they perform the biopsy on?

Cheers

Kellie
hey jaimomm i know what you mean about that annoying feeling behind your ear and down the side of your neck. i get that too so maybe its related to SEES and yeah i really think its a neurological problem. I think im going to a neurologist soon and see if i can get some answers
The biopsy for celiac disease involves getting an endoscopy where they then take small samples from your small intestine to look for villis atrophy.  

Gluten sensitivity (no blood or biopsy available to detect this) has high incidence of neurological symptoms.  Celiac does as well...in fact sometimes people's symptoms are only neurological in nature.  People think you have to have symptoms in your digestive tract in order to have celiac or a sensitivity but you don't.  I think only about a 1/3 have digestive issues with it.  

If there are any individuals in your family that have autoimmune or thyroid disorders I'd for sure give a gluten free diet a try.  You have nothing to loose but so much to gain!  

CC
About the pain behind my ears, this also happens when I'm smiling or laughing a lot. I don't understand how it could be a physical problem as some are thinking if it still "hurts" so bad when are eyes are closed!  It has to be neurological!  I mean just thinking/reading about it causes my eyes to hurt
I also don't understand why some.adults are just starting to get this problem while most have had it our entire life(pretty much)
SO CONFUSED...
I'm so glad to have found this forum.  My 14 y.o. daughter has complained of this for as long as I can remember.  She recently started seeing a counselor for anxiety and definitely has trouble sleeping.  In addition to the uneasiness she feels when she encounters sharp objects, she has said that when it happens, she wants to bury her face in a pillow, but can't because she imagines that there are hundreds of needles inside the pillow.  She did cut her forehead on a cabinet corner when she was small and it required stitches.  Does anyone else here have any uneasiness in shopping malls?  Not necessarily, as some have mentioned, because of the clothing hooks, but more a feeling of disorientation even out in the middle of the mall (not in a store).
I would say that it has nothing to do with hitting her head or stitches! I never had stitches or anything really go on until well into adulthood. It's not that we really think these things are going to jab our eyes out!  As some people think. It just causes a crazy pain like sensation, and it's horrible! I think it's brain or nerve related!! Not physical or mental...
Does your daughter have bad anxiety around people, try to avoid eye contact with people, have any form of a "tic" like scrunching her face or sniffing, coughing a lot? How about tightening different muscle groups like her back or arms etc...? If this is asking to much then I'm sorry I just have so many others issues also that I'm wondering if somehow there related? It's taken me years to realize this stuff isn't "normal" because for me it was and I never really said anything to anyone until now!
CC

Thank you for that info. Very informative. I didn't realise some people's celiac symptoms could be purely neurological. Definately something to consider.

Regards

Kellie
I am so sorry to hear that you daughter gets it so bad. Not even being able to bury her head in a pillow must be terrible for her.

If you don't mind be asking, has her counsellor made and suggestions as to what he/she thinks may be the issue? Do they think anxiety is causing SEES or do they think SEES is causing anxiety?

Yes, I stuggle in open spaces at shopping centres when there are too many people around. I think it's because in my head I plan out where I am going so I can avoid sharp objects but in a crowded place, people pop up in front of me and I have to keep altering my planned route, which makes me anxious and sets my eyes off worse.
I'm 40, male, and I've had this problem since I was about 11 I guess? For me the problem comes and goes, but it manifests itself as a nearly overwealming impulse to look away and cover my face, as if whatever it is is going to fly at my face. This happens even when looking at actual objects or even pictures of objects. The discomfort is not just localized to my eyes however, I also feel as if the "pointy-ness" is also going to hurt the inside of my nose as well as under my finger and toe nails. I am overweight, but I wasn't always overweight when this was happening to me. I've gone through periods where this doesn't happen to me for months, lately it's been pretty bad. The problem happens whether I'm standing or laying down and in all lighting conditions. I have yet to find a pattern, but I am profoundly relieved that I am not alone. God, I can't even read this page thuroughly and type this post without struggling to maintain this. It's been so damaging to day to day life.
(Contd) Also, I have no OCD symptoms, though I've always suspected if I've had some minor form of ADD. I noticed a few other people here mention they are overweight, I wonder if being overweight is a parallel symptom, like something to do with type 2 diabetes or something. I don't have it but my doctor does say I am high risk. Who knows, maybe I've overweight because I never seem to suffer from this when I'm eating :S
I'd be interested to hear what medics say about celiac disease in any of the rest of you - although i've had a ton of bloodwork done over the years and no-one's ever found anything untoward (albeit they weren't looking for that).

As for anxiety i can't stress enough how unstressed i am... If anything i get accused of being too laid-back! So i really don't think stress or anxiety is a cause of this (although it may be a symptom in some sufferers as i've said).

Thanks again for all the updates and welcome to the new contributors.
Yes, welcome to new contributors and more fellow sufferers...
The more contributions I read, the more variations there seem to be.  Sounds to me like there might be classic SEES and then SEES+ with adtl problems thrown in.  
Anyway - as we all search/hope for a medical answer, I have to say that the fine doctor (drcook474) my daughter and I have been discussing this with - see my 1/16 post - seems to be stumped.  At least, the last time I spoke to him, there was no definitive answers or direction.  
I have not tried any diet adjustment (such as removing gluten) - but would appreciate hearing if others have had any success with that. I am quite doubtful about any relationship there - it seems more likely to me to be a "hard wiring" nerves/brain issue...that may not be fixable.

One other interesting story is that my father (deceased) also had SEES quite severely and was a military policeman US Army in WWII - he told me when it came time to preparing to fight on the front lines, he had such difficulty with the bayonettes pointing at him - even during drills - that he was given special tasks that kept him off the first wave of troops into Normandy on D-day.  So, that may be the one case where SEES worked to his advantage...and perhaps saved his life.  

Best to all, SEESdad55
If it was a hardwired problem then don't you think people would have this from the very beginning...from the time they start seeing?  

What's very interesting to me is that I can pinpoint the exact time period my son started having this phenomenon.  I remember it was Nov. of 2010 because it was near the time he was due for an eye exam.  He came to me and told me about what was going on with his eye sight and that it had been happening for about a week...week and a 1/2.  He was 11 at the time.  I got worried and did some calling around to family members that had medical experience...they had no clue but said to just get him checked out. I called the eye doctor and they got him in that same day.  His prescription had only changes slightly but the dr thought maybe that was the reason.  Well, the new glasses came and nothing changed.  I made an appointment with the pediatrician who found nothing and told me to get a recheck with the eye doctor...did that and nothing came from it.  Then at about that same time he was starting to complain of muscle pain a lot...but I never put two and two together.  For the next 6 months I kept wondering why he'd get muscle pain so frequently...he kept thinking he was running too much the day before or playing too hard.  Except he never had that previously...and he was always an active kid.  Eventually I called the pediatrician to have her check on his muscle complaints...and requested a celiac panel because a lot of people on the celiac forums said they started with muscle pain at that age...and they were not diagnosed with celiac until an adult but that they were happy I might have caught something early.  His blood test was positive for celiac...we gave up gluten immediately and within 2 weeks his muscle pain was gone.  Fast forward 2 months and I decided he should see a ped. GI ...who wanted to do a scope...which meant he had to go back on gluten for 3 months.  One day on gluten and his muscles pain came back with a vengence.  I didn't think we'd make it 3 months...he was in so much pain.  

Anyway, I have talked with him a few times about his SEES and if he thinks now that he is gluten free it has improved.  He said definitely.  He said it's not 100% gone but it just doesn't bother him as much.   He used to have to prop things up around his bed ...around himself in order to feel comfortable enough to sleep.  I had dresser corners and shelf corners covered and we no longer do that.  He never complains about it anymore.  I have to believe there's a correlation to him giving up gluten.  

I challenge every one of you to go read up on the neurological conditions people face from a gluten sensitivity or celiac disease.  It can cause inflammation in any part of the body...and the brain is especially susceptible.  It's even becoming very well known that depression, anxiety or mental illness as being the result of gluten intolerances.  

Good luck everyone!  
SEESdad55 may be right and there "might be classic SEES and then SEES+ with adtl problems thrown in". I know without a doubt that when I am feeling tired or stressed my SEES is worse. I know this is not a common factor for everyone but it is true for me. However, I don't think tireness or stress are the root of the problem. Like other people, it can happen when I am not tired or stressed.

I think carecare35 may be on to something. As I suffer from anxiety, I have been reading alot of books  and doing a lot of research on the topic of anxiety. There seems to be alot of evidence to suggest that certain things in food (or lack of certain things) can cause anxiety and all kinds of neurological problems. We now know of one person who has experienced relief from a gluten free diet (carecare35's son). I would really love to know if anyone else experimented with a gluten free diet?

I still think the synthesia/cross wiring in the brain is a plausible theory too. Unfortunately, there may be no solution to that. So at this stage i'm seriously considering trying a gluten free diet. I just need to really get myself in the right head space to commit to it for a couple of months as it may take time for the brain to sort itself out.

SEESdad55, if the good doctor is stumped, what path do you think you will take now? Or do you really feel it is a cross wiring in the brain that may not be able to be fixed?
I will make an effort to discuss the gluten free diet with the good doctor - but since this seems to be the ONLY significant "fix" that has had some effect here within the SEES group, I think I (and probably my daughter) would be willing to try the gluten free approach.  
Sure would like to hear from others that are making an effort with their diet to address this problem.  

The other question raised by carecare - regarding WHEN SEES actually begins (and diet connection) is also puzzling and worth more group input and interaction.  Personally, I cannot remember not having SEES - and it seems to me that many folks here have indicated they "feel" it started around ages 6,7,8 (which was also the case with my daughter).

That suggests two theories -
1. People are hard-wired for SEES from the start and it is not caused by any incident nor is it even related to that age time frame - it is just that at that age, people can start to verbally communicate better and perhaps realize that they have an issue that other people do not have.  
Or...2. Something does indeed happen at about that age - or perhaps later - that (from our theorizing so far) may be diet related.

Really would appreciate others thoughts on this - AND IF THERE IS ANY DOCTOR MONITORING THIS THREAD, please feel free to weigh in with comments.  I sense we're maybe getting close to something here - just not sure what that is.

The first time I noticed SEES was when I was a child, probably around 7 or 8, though it was not really a big issue then. The main thing that bothered me was laying on the bottom bed of a bunk bed and looking up at the wires above me.

It didn't kick in noticably (to a point where I experienced extreme discomfort) until I was about 22 but even then the attacks were short lived and infrequent.I had a terrible attack when I was 24 which lasted a few weeks (this was during a stressful time) but it then tappered off again.  Only in the last year has it become noticable all the time. I am now 28 years old.
So I have a few thoughts... they're about my boyfriend.

He has had SEES for as long as he can remember. It has always been the same level of frequency/discomfort.

He was diagnosed with Celiacs about 4 years ago (age 23). But like most finds it hard to be completely gluten free (breadcrumbs in butter, takeaway places not knowing exactly what gluten is etc). We haven't gone to the extent of removing gluten from the house (eg. having separate butter or wiping the fridge doors or using gluten free toothpaste etc.).

He says that the SEES did not get noticeably better when he changed to a gluten free diet. I wonder if where everybody else's SEES seemed to get worse in their 20's maybe his stayed the same because he switched to GF diet.

On another forum a lady posted that she had success with SEES when she went GF but a year later it came back and she wondered if it had to do with not removing airborne gluten (or gluten from fridge doors etc). Perhaps we should try making more of an effort to remove ALL gluten from our house...

As someone said celiac and gluten intolerance is hard to diagnose and often people don't have the symptoms to even give testing consideration. I was interested in the post that suggested other digestive disorders as well as celiac have also been linked to neurological issues. I am not committed one way or another to natural medicine but perhaps an iridologist could look at SEES people's eyes to check for digestive disfunction. Perhaps a less expensive check than blood tests etc. Maybe this would help identify (or rule out) digestive issues in the people with SEES who report no results on celiac tests or don't have symptoms of digestive issues but don't want to go GF just to try it (trust me its hard). Iridology might also touch on the stress question also. Just a suggestion, not sure how well thought out the idea is.

On a side note, 8 yrs ago he was also diagnosed with kerataconus (a rare eye condition). I won't go into detail but apparently this can be triggered by excessive rubbing of the eyes. Could this be related??? Anybody else have it?

Finally his quick remedy/prevention tip would be to wear a cap. He wears a cap all the time even inside, watching movies (well at least he's worn it ever since he cut his long hair off which used to act as the shield). Perhaps the curved edge limits the peripheral vision or gives him bearing for depth perception. He doesn't get headaches just the uncontrollable urge to shield his eyes, maybe rub to apply a little pressure or just look away or get it out of his eyesight. He sometimes covers his eyes with his arms to sleep but does not wake up in the middle of the night unable to sleep.

Let me know if this sparks anything for anyone.

I will endeavour to follow this post.

PS This is the first time I have ever posted something on an internet forum but felt I had to given the magnitude and lack of answers about SEES.

Cheers

Maybe residual/airborne gluten is why your son still has some SEES but it doesn't bother him so much...

My boyfriend and I have always shrugged off residual gluten thinking it surely doesn't have an effect on anything but there are quite a lot of positive reports on the GF web forums that removing the final bits can make the biggest difference.

Just thought I would share my thoughts.
I like my screen name... until I read this forum tonight I thought my boyfriend was weird and was the only person... so it just makes sense. For this pun alone I think you should all stick to SEES as the acronym.

Just think, as awareness builds... Do you SEES us now?
Thank you for your insight and sharing your boyfriend's story with us.

Can I ask what other forum you are refering to? Do you have a link? I would love to check it out.

Regards

Kellie
I have had this for as long as i can remember - certainly back to being 6 or 7, probably much further.
I've been thinking of starting a website related to this for a while, to distil the info that had built up here. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately all the SEES-related ones were taken, and I wanted a name i could get a .com address, a Twitter login and a Gmail address for, all the same name.

So I'll still call the condition SEES - but if you're into that kind of thing follow PointsHurt on Twitter and let's see what comes of it! (MedHelp mods - don't delete, i'm driving traffic back here)
That sounds great.  Go for it.

What about a facebook page?  I think we talked about that in the past.  I too like the idea of linking it to here for sure.  :)  

I don't do twitter...haha...have enough places I visit online...twitter just is something to waste more of my time.  

CC
Just now read your post.  Very interesting.  We are a gluten free household now but you are correct...have I totally rid our house of gluten residue..probably not.  I did a lot but maybe a good thorough cleaning and tossing of some more plastic utensils that I still have would be most helpful!  Thanks for the reminder.  

CC

ps.  I don't think a gluten free diet has to be all that difficult.  Eating more whole foods and less processed is so much healthier.  Getting the shopping guide also was a tremendous help while shopping when we first went gluten free.  It was a reference guide to brands and types of foods that were gluten free.
hey guys whats up? im going to a neurologist tomorrow so maybe i can get some answers
Hi there Miguel. Hope the appointment goes well.

Would you mind letting us know what your doc says?

Ask him about things that would cause increased pressure in your brain/eyes/sinuses. The more I hear about this the more I'm convinced it's a pressure problem (maybe one with different causes in different people).

All the best,
Tom
Hello I actually have a couple of problems with my eyes that I didnt know about that my parents and I talked about with the neurologist today. Apparently when I was 5, the doctor thought that I was going to lose vision eventually in my right eye. Although this didnt happen, my right eye is now the eye that mostly bothers me with SEES. Also, what I did know, was that my regular eye doctor told me a few years ago that I have unusual high pressures in my eyes and she thought it was glaucoma. So I went to a specialist to rule out glaucoma a few months ago and she found that i also have very large optic nerves and i think corneas too. I told her about SEES and she told me she never heard of it and just told me it was just probably eye irritation. So nothing was physically wrong with my eyes. After this I decided to go to a neurologist because SEES might be brain related. Today, I told the neurologist about the high eye pressure but he didnt really say anything. He hasnt heard of this either and told me that it was probably nothing serious but scheduled an MRI that I will be getting this Saturday and an EEG? or something im taking next wednesday. If they do find anything then hopefully it can be cured. But I dont think that it might have to do with just eye pressure alone because the eye specialist told me high eye pressure is a common thing so wouldnt that make SEES more common? Its just all so confusing...
The neurologist also gave me some meds to help with the migranes (migraines) near my eyes that i have been getting lately and told me hoplefully they will help with the SEES symptoms too. I also noticed that wearing my glasses rather than contacts helps sometimes because my eyes feel more "protected" if that makes sense. It also gets worse when im stressed, depressed, or frustrated about SEES so I try to stay happy and that helps too. So maybe it is stress related.
I actually can't believe I found people that have the same symptoms as me!! Okay so if im lying in bed the corner of the drawers beside me irritate my eyes! It feels like that corner is going into my eye! and people just think it's weird when i try to explain it.. it's usually the corners of cupboards, drawers, hangers, pens, (anything pointy really but mostly the corners of furniture for some reason!!) It gets really annoying especially when im trying to sleep.. I need to cover the corners with something like a sock! my boyfriend thinks it's funny but its really irritating, It almost feels like a slight pressure on the outer corner of my eyes.. If anyone knows what it is please let me know, Thanks.
Haven't been here lately - always interesting to see a new visitor (like ciarar - welcome) discover that there are others with SEES.  I covered my nightstand with my socks for about 20 years growing up...

Anyway - I'm seeing recent mention of glaucoma, head pressure relief, staying relaxed and happy ---- anyone else think this ads up to medical marijuana for SEES.  It may be just what we need....I'm kind of joking, kind of not.  
Thanks for the update Miguel.

I would very much like to know the results of your MRI (if you've not had one before they can be a bit intimidating but they are nothing to be afraid of).

When my SEES was at its worst, i had swollen optic nerves (bileteral papiledema i think they called it) so if your eye doc found yours to be abnormal too, that could be worth closer examination. I was also getting migraines too - or at least i was being treated for migraines. They were actually a different type of headache in the end. In short, your symptoms sound like mine did back in the day.

Do your migraines ever come with flashing lights or patterns disturbing your vision? Do you ever hear a rushing sound (like holding a shell to your ear)?

If you (via your parents, due to your age) or your docs want to contact me for more info then please do. This isn't just eye irritation, so don't let them fob you off. You're in a great position to make progress with a diagnosis.

Good luck!

Tom

Hi, SEES community! Wow, this is so weird. I've always just thought this was some weird thing about me - you know, "everyone has something weird about them" kind of thinking. But this has started to get pretty bad - the windsheild wipers are starting to freak me out, and even reading all of these posts (yes, I've just sat here and read every single post since 2008 straight through to the end) - even just reading about the sharp objects causes my eyes to feel pain!! Just tonight I thought that maybe this is a symptom for something else, so I finally googled it. My husband was laughing at me when I googled "looking at sharp things hurts my eyes" - and now, I can't believe all of you also have this problem! Wow! I am honestly just stunned. I guess we're all not so unique afterall, lol!

I would be very careful about attributing any other health problems to this. It seems like the people here are a very representative portion of the population and if other medical problems are occurring within this community at the same rate as they do in the general population, then there's no correlation.

Here's something nobody else has mentioned - I also get those squiggly black lines in my vision that are supposedly harmless. Does anyone else get them? I also don't think that I've always had this - it just sort of crept up on me over the years. But I think it started about the same time that my vision got suddenly very poor. It's recently getting much worse. I'm a bird lover and have a hummingbird hanging from my car mirror, and I think, sadly, I need to take it down because ... well, that beak!!! It's quite terrible! I may crash if I don't take it down! My husband is shocked because he knows I love hummingbirds so much. So he knows this is more serious now.

So, I have the squiggly things that most eye doctors are familiar with, my vision got suddenly very bad about 7-8 years ago, this is worse at night (I think ... not sure, will have to think about that), it's worse if someone brings my attention to the pointy object - do those windsheild wipers bother you? Well NOW they do!!!! Thanks! LOL!

Also, I was scratched on my cornea by the family cat when I was a child. Just throwing that out there since two other people had trauma. This caused me to have vision problems in that one eye. I have astigmatism. Nearsighted until the past 7-8 years when I've also become far sighted.

I really wish a researcher would come and do a scientific study on this so they can say whether any of these other problems are statistically significant. It will take years. I just don't want this to be a symptom of a major health issue. I have been having this weird pressure feeling in one part of my head above my right ear for a few years. Thought it was related to meds I was on (kidneys). I'm no longer on them and it comes back every now and then. I think I may want an MRI. But my gut feeling is that this is a phobia, plain and simple. I have other fears - mostly heights.

Its really hard to find good doctors who don't automatically just say stress and push you out the door. But I am a year overdue for an eye exam, so I will bring all of this up and may even print out these postings!

I'm so happy to have stumbled on this and wish all of you the best.

Mary
I also want to add a note about synesthesia. I personally think that is a very astute connection to make. I know, I read about the expert saying its not related. But just like every other field of study, rarely is one expert the final authority. Synesthesia is such an understudied field, so I would not be too quick to dump that idea in the trash.

My daughter is synesthetic - numbers and letters have colors, numbers have personalities, grapes are in the musical key of F (she does not have SEES). There are a wide variety of manifestations of synesthesia. We are all a little synesthetic, though. It is part of our natural and primative mind. Think about when you "feel blue", or are "seeing red" ... "sharp cheddar" ... all examples of every day synesthesia.

Here's an interesting article about it (Smells Like Beethoven):

http://www.economist.com/node/21545975

I think SEES has strong colors of synesthesia - though being human and therefore somewhat naturally synesthetic (and also a poet), I see many things being colored by other things.

Like synesthesia, its all about intensity - isn't everybody a little afraid of being poked in the eye? Yes, many many people get skitish when you mess around with eyes in any way. We just feel that with varying degrees of intensity. I don't have it as bad as many of you.

I, personally, am going to continue to think about SEES and synesthesia. In a moment of brilliance, I may come up with a connection that makes sense. I may not. But, this is how fields of study evolve, by thinking outside the box (al beit, a nice round box with smooth edges). Seeing connections between two fields of study is how great discoveries are made - and also by questioning authority. I'm a big fan of that, especially given how many authorities on eyes and neurology have no idea what is going on with us.

Mary

PS I like "SEES" since it feels like my eyes are ceasing up when something pointy is pointed at them. That's whats causing my pain.
Mary,

Welcome to the community. I love your name - "Sees_ing_the_Day". hehe.
It is a great feeling to realise that you are not alone, isn't it?

I'm glad you agree that we should not rule out synthesia. My gut instinct is telling me it is some kind of cross wiring in the brain. I would like to get in touch with some synthesia researchers here in Australia and see what they have to say.

At the moment I am seeing a psychologist and trying to work through my anxiety issues as the SEES does get worse for me when I am stressed. This is not the same for everyone but it does seem to be the case for me.

I hope you have a moment of brilliance and can give us all an answer. I will wait patiently. :-)

Regards

Kellie
carecare35 and all

Just wanted to let you know I have been gluten free for a couple of weeks now. My family even got me a gluten free cake for my birthday the other day. Yay! ;-).

I have pretty much known for a while that I had issues with gluten and since not eating it my tummy has certainly felt a lot better. My eyes haven't been too bad since, but it's impossible to attribute that to a gluten free diet at this early stage. I will keep you all posted though.

Has anyone else gone gluten free yet?

carecare35 - is your son's SEES still under control?

Hi, my 14 yo daughter has SEES as you have all described.  She just had an MRI and and MRV w/ contrast, and, thankfully, no tumor, no venous sinus thrombosis.  She also had a very complete eye exam with a very competent neuro-ophthalmologist--all is good.  On the surface of things, there is no physical reason for her symptoms.  

I am interested, Kellie, to see how the gluten-free diet works for you.  I certainly think there is a possibility that this is inflammation-related.  I eliminated wheat/sugar/peanuts from my diet for about 3 months (for a different health reason --I never felt so good--just couldn't live on that diet.  I've been reading about Curcumin and it's fantastic anti-inflammatory properties.  It seems to be a supplement everyone can benefit from, unless you are taking blood thinners.  

In the meantime, my daughter is seeing a wonderful therapist/hypnotist.  I asked her at the last session what in the room was bothering her.  It was a microphone on the desk across the room that, to her, seemed like just an arms length away, and was giving her a headache.  At this session, the therapist targeted her suggestions--that Lindsay would NOT feel pain from looking at edges or pointy objects--that they would pose no threat.  It worked, but only lasted for that evening.  She looked at the microphone afterward and felt absolutely no discomfort.  The therapist feels she needs to train her brain to not associate sharp objects with pain.  It would be a process, much like someone who wants to stop smoking--they are hypnotized to not feel or react to the the pang for nicotine--and they've got to do therapy everyday for this training process.  

I can't tell you how grateful I am to find this forum.  I've been lurking awhile until I had concrete info to share with you all about the MRI/MRV and the extensive eye exams.

Is it possible that inflammation (be it from some allergen) could be the cause of this "synesthesia" mentioned above, but that it is possible to train the brain to not do that "mis-association" by way of hypnosis???  Let's keep the conversation going!

Wow! I just Googled this on a whim. I'm 49 and have had SEES since I was a little kid. I just told my wife of 16 years about it just this past year. Other than that, I've never told anyone else about it. The worst for me are the display hooks in department stores. When I take my daughters to Target, I have to wait at the end of the aisle and stare at the floor while my daughters are in the doll aisle. I never thought I'd find anybody else out there who has to deal with this.

I also have chronic pain in my face from a botched sinus surgery about 20 years ago. I live with moderate to severe facial pain every day of my life. But I've been having these eye symptoms long before the surgery, so I don't think they're related.

I can't believe I've found other folks like you that are living with this. Wow! It's a relief, in a way.
I can't tell you what a relief it is to see that I'm not the only one suffering from this condition! I'm 19 and have been having the classic symptoms for as long as I can remember; any pointed object ranging from a pen to the corners of a book or furniture annoys me greatly. As the others have explained, it is not direct physical pain bur rather a kind of visual discomfort.

As some others have mentioned the symptoms aggravate whenever I'm ill, tired or stressed in any way. The worst I ever am is whenever I am having difficulty trying to understand something complicated while studying for an exam or otherwise. This and the fact that whenever I think about having the symptoms I immediately experience them, leads me to believe that the problem is neurological rather than in the eye.

I am a second year Maltese Medical student and I'd love to indulge further into this problem which by the looks of it, affects quite a lot of people.

Until a diagnosis and cure is found however, these are a few things I have found to relieve the symptoms to a certain extent:

1) Wearing sunglasses: sometimes light aggravates the symptoms and I've found this to be a prophylactic measure rather than removing the symptoms.

2) Sleeping: I experience almost no symptoms after I've had a nap or just woke up in the morning

3)Shielding my eyes from the object/s causing discomfort by placing my hand over my eyes.
So happy to hear you are trying a gluten free diet to see if it helps with your SEES.  Kudos to you!  I do know that it may take a while for your body to heal from any gluten damage it has had.  I also read that if it is neurological in nature that damage may take much longer to heal...and sometimes never fully.  With my husband (not a SEES sufferer) he says it took a good 2 yrs for all the things he felt were gluten related to heal.  However after the first 6 months he was almost symptom free.  

With my son...he never ever complains about his SEES anymore.  I will ask him tomorrow how he is doing in that regard and update you.  

CC
the results from my MRI showed that everything is "normal". so whatever cant think of anything else to do
Just had a talk with my 12 yr old about how he has been doing.  He thinks that his allergies seem to intensify the symptoms of SEES.  He is allergic to Cats and our cat just had 5 kittens.  Plus it's a very early allergy season.  Usually this time of year though he needs his inhaler because of his allergies.  So far so good on that though.  Anyway, my thoughts on this are that allergies are also causing inflammation.  It makes sense to me that it might be worse when his allergies are worse.  I'm going to start him on daily allergy meds to see if he gets any relief.  

Also, his gluten free diet has seem to really really help his symptoms as well.  I think for anyone trying to figure out a way to help themselves I think trying a gluten free diet for 3 to 6 months would be ideal.  

Good luck!  
Thanks for the update again CC.

I have been trying hard to stick to a gluten free diet - I've had a couple of slip ups but threw the food out immediately when I realised. Except for being caught of guard a couple of times it is not that hard to follow a gluten free diet. We are lucky to have alot of gluten free products nowadays. So I have every intention of sticking to this for now (not just for the eyes but for my tummy as well).

It's interesting that allergies in general seem to set your son off. I wonder if they are having a neurological effect or if the allergies are creating stress in the body which is triggering it?

I am still holding on to hope that a doctor is going to come on here one day and give us all the answers we are looking for. Until then I will just  have to keep battling through like my fellow SEES sufferers.

Thank you for sharing the results of your MRI. I take it that your doctor is stumped as well? Has your doctor offered you any suggestions?
oh my god! a simple search of "fear of corners" and this is what i get:
Fear of Corners of a Room
There is currently no medical term (--phobia) for "fear of corners" in a room. So, it is just that: "fear of corners in a room" or, colloquially, it could perhaps be called "cornerphobia".

However, this may be a manifestation of another phobia, such as nyctophobia (fear of dark places) or claustrophobia (fear of enclosed spaces) - two very common and treatable phobias. You should speak to your GP if it is affecting your day-to-day life.

Fear of Corners of an Object
You may be referring to aichmophobia.

This is a more general fear of sharp objects, in which corners are included. The phobia is characterised by irrational wincing, discomfort and avoidance of any sharp object perceived to be near the eye. Stimuli can include needles, pencils, corners of paper, corners of shelves, umbrella points, etc.

It is fairly common in developed countries, and can be treated by a number of phobia-combating techniques, including hypnotherapy, associative conditioning and counselling. You should speak to your GP if it is affecting your day-to-day life.

There is, however, no specific medical term for a fear of corners exclusively, with an absence of a fear for other sharp objects.
wow im just so amazed that this has already been discovered and we all didnt know. For the last 6 months ive been battling this every day and it really took a lot out of me. Now i believe with help from a psychotherapist that we can get rid of this suffering. I made a vow to myself that if this ever went away i would apprecitate life and try to accomplish everything i can in my life. I now feel I can follow up on that vow and Im just so happy. Even though this has been living hell, I think it has helped me appreciate life and when its gone, theres nothing from stopping me from accomplishing my goals. I honestly felt like I was struggling through my life for the last 6 months and was starting to feel like there was nothing to live for. But not anymore :). Thank you all for your comments and supporting eachother because reading this every few days helped me endure this aichmophobia (or SEES).
- Miguel,just a 15 year old kid from Illinois

EES
I hope it works for you.  I truly don't believe this is a phobia.  I believe it's caused by inflammation in the brain.  Good luck and keep us updated.  I'd love to say I was wrong in my thoughts on this.  

CC
yes im going to try just ignoring the sensation for a while and if that doesnt work ill seek a phychiatrist. I can remember now how it went away, i just ignored it for a couple days and it left. And when it came back it was because i remembered it and was locking it away in my brain but it came back. You cant let it control your life, just pretend it doesnt exist and dont flinch away. Ive been doing this and Ive started to get better. I wont let this hinder me and it makes sense because i got an MRI and they found NOTHING. $4,000 dollars to tell me i was normal and the eye doctors told me the same. Its starting to make sense to me its something to do with a locked away fear we have because even thinking of corners can trigger pain or even seeing a corner in a video game of a frikin cartoon.
In my case, it has nothing to do with an irrational fear, or phobia - I have no 'fear' whatsoever of sharp objects or pointy things or corners or what have you. My problem is that I can feel these things as if they are literally starting to poke into my eyes. I feel that it is most likely to be a neurological disorder of some sort - perhaps something affecting the processing of visual stimuli in the brain.
Wrestler, that is exceptionally interesting information about aichmophobia.  I had never heard of it before.  Here's the wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aichmophobia

The article notes that it can be treated with hypnotherapy and cognitive behavioral, too.

However, it sounds to me as though there might be some overlap between this condition and synesthesia for a number of posters on this forum.

I have had to for over 20 years. Since I was 6 or so and I'm 26.It went away for a few years at the end of highs cool and then came back with a vengeance after I finished my studies. I now work for a bank and reading paperwork is painful. Sometimes the incident brings on a full out migraine within a 20 minute period or so for me. Desk corners ( the cabinets over desks ) and especially windshield wipers and swords etc. I do see the dark spots.

My thoughts though, I think it's like a cross eye kind of thing. It's much easier to look at rounded corners.

Reading about 'why rounded corners are easier on the eye' with this sees issue in mind was (at least for me) a mind changer.

It takes more effort to process sharp corners and your eyes are led to follow the line as oppose to a circle which is not like that. Circular edges (even on books with rounded corners) don't bother you do they? Not me.

So what does this blabbering mean? I think it's a cognitive issue with how we see sharp objects or lines (like windshield wipers etc) with a headachy or dizzy sickness or vertigo like sensation.

Maybe one eye follows the line one way, and the other does the opposite.....or they have trouble mixing the two images because of the complexity. I don't get sees on hikes very often if ever......in nature we may not see as many sharp things like we do today bombarding our vision.
If someone looks up 'why rounded corners are easier o the eyse' and reads about it, along with 'BOLD activation varies parametrically with corner angle throughout human retinotopic cortex'. You will see SCIENTIFIC (especially the second one) evidence of how and why corners are harder to process and where in the brain this goes on etc.

There is enough knowledge out there to solve or at the very least understand  this issue. someone well versed in those terms needs to read up on things like:

Recent psychophysical studies of this illusion have shown that corner salience varies parametrically with corner angle, with sharp angles leading to strong illusory percepts and shallow angles leading to weak percepts.

And this, which pretty much hits the nail on the head ( or the sharp side in this case):

sharp surface corners may create hotspots of high local contrast due to processing by center ^ surround and other early receptive fields. If this hypothesis is correct, early visual neurons should respond powerfully to sharp corners and curved portions of surface edges. Indeed, the primary role of early visual neurons may be to localize the discon- tinuities along the edges of surfaces. If so, all early visual areas should show greater BOLD responses to sharp corners than to shallow corners.

Someone who knows about this stuff should check into us about this. We could be interesting people to talk to for the people who wrote these studies.

I wish someone would look into those studies and many more th i have found if you are interested. But this is NO phobia. No more a phobia than a migraine from light. This happens in the brain, and  could be a cross eyed or lazy eyed issue combined with seeing corners etc.

Wow I've had this problem ever since I was a kid. I feel out of a tree and had a skull fracture and had cracked the bone around my eye and ripped my muscles and almost had to have a metal plate put behind it anyway I always thought  that was the cause for my not being able to look at Sharp objects. Sometimes it got  to where I've put towels or shirts over the corners of things especially watching tv lol it messes with me bad to this day .I'm glad to here I'm not the only nutcase out there .I would like to find out if its some sort of syndrome .
i have no fear of corners either consiously i get the feeling that they are going to poke my eye too. But im thinking it has to do with our brain responding to them with anxiety. Thats the feeling i get, i get uneasy and want to turn away. But ive been trying to ignore the feeling and imagine to be  like how a normal person would see and it works. The sensation goes away and doesnt bother me. But if i let my guard down it will come back. Either you need to be very mentally strong or get help from a phychiatrist. I dont think it has to do with a brain issue because why would it randomly appear for some people and not at birth? Ive been to eye doctors who say theres nothing wrong with my eyes and neurologists that have never heard of this and sent me to get an MRI that showed nothing. Im starting to think that the problem might lie within us, mentally.
look at this
http://www.allaboutcounseling.com/library/aichmophobia/
Viewing 1-200 comments: