Why do my eyes feel weird looking at certain objects?
Recently, I have discovered this new feeling related to my eyes. The feeling is hard to discribe but its quite strange.

When I look at certain objects such as trees, spears or anything pointy/sharp, I get this feeling within my eyes. This feeling forces me to look away from the object. I wouldnt call the feeling pain its more discomfort.

Sounds really weird but I dont have a clue what it could be related too. If I had to discribe the feeling, imagin someone holding a pin to your eye and slowing moving it forward, your reaction would be to look away, thats the best I can discribe it.

Hope you can help.

Mark
I'm no doctor, but it could be Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Or it can be a number of neurological things.
I would recommend you start with a baseline eye exam by an Eye MD ophthalmolgist. Find one near you at www.aao.org

JCH MD
Dont feel bad, I have the same issue with my eyes, when I walk by a pointy object it makes my eyes feel like the object is actually poking my eyes, its a really uncomfortable, better yet irritating feeling, and sometimes I cant sleep because of it, but ive found that when I dont have enough sleep this happens mostly but should I consult a physician or is it sleep related?
-
I have this exact same problem... It's been that way for like ten years now. Sometimes even if my eyes are closed but I know there is a "pointy object" there, it still irritates me. It's almost unbearable at times and interferes with class, work, conversations, etc. Help?!?
Wow! I cant believe I found this!

I am experiencing this exact thing.

Any more theories as to what it could be?
-
I have exactly the same issue, and have had all my life. I'm 32 now. It's actually a relief to find other people suffer from it, after a lifetime of people half-jokingly thinking I was going mad!

As Mark wrote: "If I had to discribe the feeling, imagin someone holding a pin to your eye and slowing moving it forward, your reaction would be to look away, thats the best I can discribe it."

That's the perfect description. I've been examined by some of the best eye and brain docs around and no-one can explain it, but I'm determined to get to the bottom of it.

Can you email me - tomsav-**-*****-***-*** as I have questions galore to ask you all about causes etc.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it together!

Cheers,
Tom
-
Why all the '-' posts?
By your '-' post are you saying "refer to my earlier answer", ie "get a baseline eye exam"? Because if you are, that's no good as I've already HAD plenty of those. It seems to be a fairly baffling condition (or, more likely, a baffling symptom of another condition).

My thoughts are that the condition is more brain-related than eye-related, but I won't have the chance to check that with the other posters as someone has thoughtfully deleted my email address above. Hmmm, annoying, especially as the medics treating me could possibly have gleaned some useful info from those guys.

So, Mark, Nathan, Frog and Alex - if you see this and want to get in touch, send me a message using the MedHelp's messaging system - click on my username.

Cheers,
Tom
I have these weird symptoms as well. I really annoys me sometimes and when I try to explain it to people, they think im nuts! i'd really like to know what is causing this or moreover, what its called??? does anybody know??
Hello, I have had this for years sometimes worse than others at the moment it is really bad i fined it hard to drive or just walk around the house in the morning. it seems worse in the morning and now makes me feel really sick. I would love to know how to get rid of it because irs driving me mad.
Vicky
Hope you're all well. I'm still determined to get to the bottom of this. If anyone with these symptoms wants to get in touch and we can question each other about causes/effects/ways of preventing etc in an attempt to work out what the hell it is (or at least how best to live with it), then feel free to drop me a message - hover your mouse pointer over my username at the top of this message and choose "send message".
It doesn't matter what you tell your eye MD, anything they cannot see will be filed off as "subjective visual problems".    And yes, they more often than not will think you are crazy.    I haven't had those symptoms described here...but others.
I started feeling this when I was diagnosed with restless leg syndrome. It used to be just at night when i closed my eyes but the restless leg medication helped. However, I am started to feel the pressure on my eyes during the day.  I making an eye appt as we speak.
for your restless leg syndrome, have someone pop your toes before you sleep, it should get rid of it for the night and keep doing this for a couple months and it should eventually go away.
That was also one of the symptoms that appeared for me, really restless legs when I was trying to sleep.   That actually cleared when I added LDN to my protocol (low dose naltraxone).    Many have reported same thing on LDN, RLS cleared.     Look it up.

My husband has this exact problem! It gets wrose when he's tired. Sometimes if i have a fork in my hand while i'm talking to him, he'll have to look away because the fork is anoying him. Sometimes it's the windscreen wipers on the car that make his eyes start to hurt, sometimes it the corner of a cupboard! SO STRANGE!!!! I wish we knew what it was! I'd never heard of anything like this before i met him!
Okay. I definitely think the Restless Leg Syndrome is the common denominator... so what causes that? Some causes are dehydration, improper diet (not enough fruits & veggies), inactivity, & poor circulation. Maybe if the RLS goes away my boyfriend's Pointy Restless Eye Syndrome (PRES) will go away. He's had it ever since he can remember having it as a child. He believes he was not properly hydrated as a child and through adultood. That will be our first test to watch for PRES & RLS and their return while he's properly hydrated... process of elimination.  We'll keep y'all updated with the progress of the "hydration theory". :)
Hi ihoneybonveno - how are you getting on? Can I just say that I've never had RLS. A quick Googling of the symptoms and nothing seems familiar to me - yet I've had "PRES" (great name!!) all my life. Just in case that helps your research.
Tom
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about all of you with this problem, but am relieved at the same time as my 8 year old daughter has complained about this problem for a few years now. She had a bad episode tonight which made me look it up. I'm taking her to see our family doctor and hopefully get it treated in some way. It's heartbreaking to see, especially when there is nothing I can do for her. I've noticed it's worse when she's tired. She does drink plenty of water, but maybe the odd days she doesn't drink as much it may be worse. I will definitely keep an eye out (pardon the pun) for any changes. Thanks so much for all the posts, I've managed to tell my daughter she's not alone, so she can stop thinking she's some kind of freak. Good luck to all of you and I'll let you know if we have nay breakthroughs.
Hi again everyone. Now we're getting a few of us on here I'm sure we can make some progress in dealing with this.

I have a few questions for anyone who suffers with it to help rule out various causes etc, feel free to ask me any back:

1) Is it worse at any time of day (late at night, early morning, etc)?
2) Do you get headaches more than "normal"? If so is there a particular time of day you are more affected by these?
3) Have you ever had a migraine?
4) Does going for a pee help relieve the symptoms in any way? Do you notice you suffer more when you need to pee?
5) Have you ever had anything diagnosed as wrong with your eyes, head, neck or brain?
6) Do you need glasses/contact lenses? Near or far sighted?
7) Have you ever had your optic nerves examined as part of an eye test? Anything wrong with them?
8) Are you over/under/normal weight?

If we get some answers to those questions we may see some trends developing...

Cheers,
Tom
To start it off, my answers:
1) I often notice it more in the evenings
2) Yes. In the morning.
3) Yes
4) Yes and yes, as bizarre as it sounds
5) Yes - a few things. I'll see what others say to see what if any are relevant.
6) Yes. I'm moderately short-sighted.
7) Yes, they were slightly swollen.
8) Overweight.
My 8 year old daughter is seeing a paediatrician tomorrow, so hopefully he can give us some direction on what to do next.
I personally think it's a neurological problem and not the eyes. My daughter has great eyesight is slim and very fit (she's an orange belt in karate) Night time is definitley worse and first thing in the morning.
I will keep my updates going in this forum, hopefully we all can get some answers.
Hello all & Cheers Tom!

Tom - I'm so glad you dig the newly-named syndrome PRES (Pointy Restless Eye Syndrome)!  We liked it as well. I believe that must make it official - when two or more parties agree that an acronym and/or syndrome is appropriately named, right?... I just made that part up.

First up, I have to report on the "hydration theory"... that darn rebel boyfriend of mine is doing his job well of being a rebel and totally denying most forms of water (forcing himself on ocassion when I start to try and pour water down his throat) to help him advance towards the theory's proof.  But, (hee,hee) his rebellion is showing up as proof in its own way!  Although I truly cringe every time I have to watch him suffer, he has had symptoms every single day since then while not drinking nearly enough water to even be called a biological living creature.

Now for some answers to Tom’s questions from Bonveno:

1) Is it worse at any time of day (late at night, early morning, etc)? Yes. Early morning AND late at night… more so at night.
2) Do you get headaches more than "normal"? If so is there a particular time of day you are more affected by these? Yes. Evening.
3) Have you ever had a migraine? Yes
4) Does going for a pee help relieve the symptoms in any way? Do you notice you suffer more when you need to pee? No. No.
5) Have you ever had anything diagnosed as wrong with your eyes, head, neck or brain? Wrong in the head? Loaded question, Tom… and, his neck is REALLY messed up. But his neck hasn't always been messed up... not as long as he's had PRES.
6) Do you need glasses/contact lenses? Near or far sighted? Needs corrective lenses. Yes.Both near & far sighted
7) Have you ever had your optic nerves examined as part of an eye test? Anything wrong with them? No
8) Are you over/under/normal weight?  over

Bonveno thought he was the only one on the planet who had this weird PRES.  He's very relieved that other people are talking about the same thing. He doesn't feel so alone regarding this now.  Thank you all for continuing to talk & decipher the dilemma.  

Take Care & Happy Holidays!!
QQ
  ?
  *          
{-@@--}  
\    ^    /
  \  --  /

'      
I know exactly what you mean. I get that when I don't wear my glasses. It's your eyes trying to focus. It means you need some kind of corrective lens! It's your eyes being strained.
I also get this if I skip a Zoloft dose. Any of yous guys take an anti-depressant???
I disagree that it's eye strain (at least not just on its own) - if it were that simple eye docs would pic it up. I wear contact lenses and it affects me as much as it used to when I wore glasses and when I was a kid and didn't need either.

And I'm not on any anti-depressants. If you missed a dose of your meds would it not make you prone to notice *any* ailment you had a bit more, if you were feeling down?
I am not saying that in your particular case it's eyestrain. I am just trying to relate to what it feels like. Zoloft has physical withdrawal effects. And I am on it for migraine prevention not because I am depressed.
I just looked at this post out of curiosity, not because I experience this, but I just wondered whether it might be a form of synesthesia? (where the senses are 'cross wired').
Very interesting suggestion, thanks for that. I haven't looked into synesthesia before. I'll drop an email to a synesthesia researcher and get them to read this thread to see if they can see any connection. (While I don't have any of the 'classic' synesthesia symptoms, such as seeing letters as colours, etc, what I do have would certainly fit the bill for the brain being slightly cross-wired, as you put it...)
PS - I'm suffering as bad today as I have done in ages (I can barely look at the screen to type because of a corner in my eyeline behind the monitor). I mention this as I'm also full of a head cold and my eyes are "puffy" and I'm tired. In case that helps with other research.
Glad I've given you another line of inquiry, if nothing else; hope it's fruitful for you.
Holy heck I can't believe anyone has this problem too. I'm 38 and first noticed it when i was about 10 when walking through forests near our house and my eyes would go nuts with all the branches sticking out everywhere.I still have the problem in cars coz of rear view mirrors and in stores with hanging systems and i love to sew but mostly can't coz well that involves pointy needles. I love that someone has named it PRES.I would love a cure!

Cam
Hi, I've had an expert in synaesthesia look over this thread, and he said it doesn't look like it's related to that. So at least we can start crossing things off the list!

The doctor adds: "I would be amazed if it were related to your eyes, and I'm sure that it would relate to the brain (but not necessarily in way that is alarming or disturbing; all of our experiences are ultimately created by the brain)."

Interestingly he points out: "It resembles the normal condition of visual looming, but the looming is apparent (rather than real) in your case."

Visual looming is, as I understand it after a little light Googling, how your brain processes the idea of objects getting closer to you, so you know when they become a threat. So that may be worth more research.

Onwards and upwards!

Tom
Hello, I have been looking at so many different sites trying to understand this. I've the same problem and it makes it very hard to get through the day. Although I'm only fifteen, I've had this problem ever since I can remember. I'm so relieved to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this. I recently told my mom about it and she just laughed; its understandable. I showed her all the sites and discussions that I've read and she realized that I wasn't making it up.

The pain is unbearable at times, almost like someone is poking the back of my eyes. Even when you look away or close your eyes you can still feel it. I've had to put soft or non pointy things over top the corners of my dresser, tv, bed stand, as well as my computer, to make the pain go away. I have trouble sleeping at night sometimes, and during the afternoon is when it starts to worsen.

I will be checking back in with all of you hoping Tom or someone else has found the answer to this. Thank you all so much. :)
Hey,

Im 30 and have had this similiar problem since I was about 9. Pointy things that are shiney seems to make my eyes feel worse.  I dont get a pain but it feels very strange indeed. I find certain lights in places can make it worse. Sometimes when traveling on the bus and watching the lamp posts fly by can make them feel strange aswell. Ive never been really worried about it but if it can be cured I would happily get it sorted.

Brian.

mr_innes_1980***@****
Oh wow I am happy to meet all of you, and yes i have this problem too, i remember this since i was like 7 years old i am 36 now and pointy shiny things makes it worse i also feel pain in the back of the eye and my immediate reaction to a sharp or pointy thing is to close my eyes like if i was poked with that object, sometimes my eyes still hurt even while going to sleep. I really hope we find a solution together.

Chilena

Chilena
Hi everyone,

I also have been expirencing this since I was about 12 years old, I talked to a neurologist about it; but he just ignored what I said as I was only about 14 at the time and what I said didn't make sense, even to me.
The only person I've ever met who has expirenced it is my boyfriend; he calls it his "spidey sense" I call it "eye pokeyness".
I tend to shove my face into a pillow or press my fingers firmly on my eyelids until it goes away. I wonder if there is already a term for it, or if this is some new kind of neurological disorder.

It's nice to know we're crazy though!
Hi everyone,

It's nice to know we're crazy though!
Hi all I wanted to check in to see if anyone ever found out more information about this from the doctors. I do want to say that oddly enough I am experience this discomfort right now and the only thing that makes it better is squitting.  It feels like I am adding pressure which elimanates the discomfort.  
Glad I'm not crazy.

For those that don't know the 'feeling'... then imagine someone next to you is about to shoot a gun into the air. You 'wince' and squint, probably rapidly flinching your eyes your eyes knowing a loud bang is going to occur any moment. Your head may also move away from the gun. You drop your head down into your shoulders in anticipation. THAT is the reaction. plus a 'pressure' or micro headache forms behind my eyes somewhere.

Mine started as a child (no eye trauma or anything that I remember.)  I used to wake up in the middle of the night with the sensation of 1000 little spikes 'poking' inches away from my eyes. If I closed my eyes I could 'see' them. I covered my eyes with my arm and waited it out. They would eventually go away in 30 seconds, or a few minutes.

Here are some other triggers, which I'm sure some of you can relate to:
1) Windshield Wipers
2) Corners of furniture
3) Pens/Pencils being held by others
4) Silverware (forks) pointed towards me by others
5) Scissors pointed towards me
6) Movies (especially 3D ones) with 'pointy' objects, or panning an aerial view of the top of a 'sharp' mountain peak.
7) Picket fence tips while moving in a car
8) Objects in front of the TV or computer screen (like drink bottles)
9) Nightstand corners when laying down in bed
10) Watching the edges of a ceiling fan spin
11) Tree branches hanging near eye level
12) TV/Movies with animals 'clawing' at the camera lens.
13) Someone leaves the cabinet doors open, and they 'point' at me ;)

The feeling is as if the 'corner' or 'point' will somehow scratch/poke my eyes... even though I am fully aware that it wont.  For example, windshield wipers I *know* are separated from my eyes by durable glass. But, my eyes seem to think otherwise.  Squinting only slightly improves the sensation.

I told my dad as a teenager, and he said he sometimes gets the same things.  He remembered as a child not being able to look at the fence tops from the window of a train he rode often.

I also remember my piano teacher would point with her pencil at the notes on the page, and my eyes would water just trying to fight the urge to cover my eyes.  I never told her... I guess I should have ;)

My wife thinks I'm crazy, but tries to keep the 'points' away from me.  Sometimes she'll tease me and point them on purpose :-P

I wear contact lenses (near-sighted) and I seem to be OK putting them in.  I guess if I have 'control' of the object, the sensation is reduced.

It is not a 'fear' or 'phobia'. It feels like my brain is being over-protective of my eyes.  Closing my eyes usually does not 'help'.  The sensation of "about to be poked in the eye" is still there.  Shielding my eyes from the culprit (putting my hand between my eyes and the fork) is a quick remedy.

Belonephobia/Aichmophobia is the fear of Needles, Pins & Sharp Objects, but I have no problems giving blood, needles, or having the 'sharp objects' pointed or touching elsewhere at/on my body.  For example, point a fork at my knee and I could care less. Point it towards my head, and I'll quiver.

I am convinced it is NOT a physical problem.

Who knows. Some days are worse than others.  Mostly I try to occupy my thoughts with something else.  If I dwell on the feeling (or actively trying to convince myself it is 'OK'), it will just make it worse.

Good luck to all!
- rp
I have had this problem for as long as I can remember, the people who have described it describe it perfectly. I've told others about it throughout my life but everyone usually laughs at me, as if I am making it up. Anyways, I was molested at age 4 and no one believed me. So I repressed the shame, guilt, and pain which caused me to be a child of rage. Could sexual abuse been a cause?
And for me, it's only my right eye that is affected. I've noticed that my left eye can endure watching pointy objects, but my right cannot without becoming irritated. I wonder if that's just me, or if everyone only has the right one affected.
it could also be obsessive compulsive disorder btw. thats crossed my mind before
Hi. I don't think it's OCD related, not in my case anyway, nor do i think your abuse (as horrible as it sounds) was a trigger. But it's interesting that you only get it in one eye. Does anyone else? It's both eyes for me.
I have this "PRES" too!
Even when i close my eyes, i can still "sense" the pointy objects.
To describe the feelings, try to close your eyes and put both of your index finger on each of your eyes (while closing it). It kinda feels that way.
Sometimes i can feel the pressure on my Superior Rectus (One of the six eye muscle located above our eye)
Well that's all, I'm happy to know that I'm not alone :)
re your list:
Yep, it's the same thing alright! The things you describe are uncannily like what affects me.
Have any of you suffering with this ever had a CT or MRI brain scan? (PM me if you wouldn't want to reveal on a messageboard.) If so, what were they looking for, and what did they find?
Tom
Whatever is going on with you it effects the muscles that control your eye movement. Its probably nothing serious, trough.
repertusio listed many of my symptoms.  I'm 53 now and have had this since 5 years of age.  My father has the same problem.  I have it in both eyes.  I don't have restless legs syndrome.  People sitting across from me pointing at me with a pencil, as I've had happen in interviews, just about send me screaming out of the room.  I've even asked politely that they turn the pencil the other way.  Same with knives and forks across the table from me.  I need to cover the object or my eyes, or have the object moved so that it is pointing sideways. I agree that I can also sense the object when my eyes are shut.   I also rub my eyes a lot then to cope.  If I have my glasses on, I feel more "defended".  I have an eye exam every year, so I agree it's brain not eye.  I would love to be free of this problem!  Most people don't know I have this.  I'm a productive member of society.  But I would really like to get rid of this problem!
I have read through this forum and agree that we are all experiencing something similar. I have a really good hunch that this has to do with how our eyes put the image each eye recieves together. It also might have to do with how our eyes filter out background information around objects. I did some research about how we filter out objects and it seems that it is a complicated process which requires depth perception, focus etc. When we are having trouble looking at the corner of the tv, i feel like it is because we are paying attention to it because our brains are having some kind of trouble putting the images from each eye together and sorting out the wall or background (and its much different lighting (high contrast especially when looking at a monitor or tv) ) and this could be causing some of this pain.

That theory could be applied to all of the experiences like looking at a mountain peak in the middle of a movie scene, passing signs...especially those who have an issue with the windshield when the wipers are on....it speaks to trouble focusing on that object and the objects we want to see on the road....

anyways...I have yet to meet anyone who takes me seriously when I mention this. This is the second time I have ever spoken publicly about this and I only talked to a few doctors. I have noticed that I can change the frequency of the headaches (just cant predict if it will be more or less) by covering my dominant eye with a patch and doing things that require fine hand eye cooridnation for a few hours each day.

you people have no idea how happy I am right now to have found this place. I thought I was the only one in the world with this symptom. Not knowing how to explain it people is the worst part because I had to cover my eyes whenever someone was holding a pointy object near me and it looked so awkward. I have trouble drinking from a glass of wine which makes things more awkward when i end up drinking it from a mug.

When I get the PRES (great way to name it btw) i usually rub my eyes with my fingers and that can get really irritating when I am Driving or when i am trying to sleep. Knowing that the bed desk is near me i have to cover it with my pillows and sleep with my fingers resting on my eyes. I am getting the PRES as i type this message its driving me crazy. I would really like to hear from anyone as how they might have a different approach to dealing with this matter and maybe i might have a few things that could help as well. looking forward to hearing from anyone

P.S after reading what "eye_have_ pain" wrote it kinda makes sense but it doesn't feel that way. I just hope their will be a solution to this  
I was happy to find this forum as well. Do you notice that you rub or block one particular eye more often when you are doing that to relieve the pain? Does rubbing the eye basically just obscure the vision of one eye? I find that when I put pressure on my nose or rub my eye I am also blocking some of my field of vision with my hand or actually touching one eye so that I can still see out of the other one but no longer out of that eye.  

When I combine pressure on the skull, nose, or temple with either:
-blocking out the corner of my vision (like putting your hand beside your head and seeing foreword)
-squinting so that my left eye sees predominately
-or moving the eye so that it doesnt 'see straight'  anymore

It provides temporary relief. Thats one of the reasons why I believe that it could be the two images being put together causing the pain.

Another thing I recently tried was this:

When you are looking at an object like a pencil or a television screen or anything else and this pain arises, try to look through each eye, and pick the object you can see that is at the most extreme right and left of your vision(if you were at the mid point of a protractor looking foreword, it would be at 0 and 180 degrees or closest to it) , then concentrate on those objects. You dont have to divert all of your attention to them, just try as much as possible to balance paying attention to what you are doing/watching and keep those two objects in your mind and field of vision. Picking objects to focus on that contrast with the color of the room you are in or the place you are makes it easier. I would be curious to hear anyones experiences with that exercise.  

just some thoughts about your response.

Hi Nads and EHP, welcome aboard!

This question to everyone: do you get this eye discomfort when you are sat down, stood up, mainly one or the other, or both? If you get it when you're sat down does standing up help?
Hey Tom

I usually get it when I'm sitting down or laying flat on my back

hey,

to answer your first question, yes i do. especially in the dark or when the object is very close to one eye. second question also yes. usually when i am done rubbing my eyes with my fingers my vision becomes sort of blurry.

i have also tried covering the side of my eye with my hands whenever i get a chance and that seemed to help, but it can be difficult at certain situations especially while driving or talking to another person if you know what i mean. Squinting also helps every now and then but then my cheeks start to hurt hahah. i think ill go ahead and try the fourth approach you used to relive the irritation.

Thank you very much for the info.  
Hi everyone.

Based on a few private messages, and Nads' answer above, it seems this affects people predominently when they are sitting or lying down.

Over the next few days, can I ask all of you who suffer from this to stand up if possible when an attack happens, and report back if that helps.

I've got a good feeling about this – I had never really thought about it before, but I seldom get this pain when I'm stood up.

I've found (bizarrely, as written earlier in the thread) that going for a pee helped me with my symptoms. But thinking about it, that could have been a red herring, and it could have been the act of standing up to walk to the loo that helped.

If standing up helps for some of the rest of you, I think we might take a giant step towards working this out. But more of that later, if indeed it does help (please say if it doesn't!)
Has anyone tried standing up to see if the symptoms are reduced? Are they?
Tom
Standing up doesn't seems to help me. :(
Mine usually happens at night, I have to sleep while covering my eye.
What about you guys?, does standing up help y'all?
hey tom,

my problem is similar to yours, I usually get it at night and sometimes i get it while standing so there was no point for me to try it since i get it both ways. I also have to cover my eyes when i go to sleep just like you do. but i also noticed that sometimes getting a good night's sleep can reduce the attack by a lot. that's the best solution i discovered so far.
sorry what i forgot to write was my problem was similar to Fizy's
I experience a weird feeling every time I'm around equipment that could be dangerous.  This may sound weird but I think the sensation is a protective mode that our body produces.  I also believe it is a gift from God.  I first noticed the sensation when I worked at Coors in the warehouse and I would drive my lift truck passed the gears and chains that lifted the beer from floor to floor.  The sensation is almost like bugs crawling under the skin but always gives me a feeling like I need to stay away from those types of things.  I wonder if this is the same experience you are all having with your eyes??
I have had these conditions since I was a kid. I have mentioned it to a few opticians and they are usually stumped. I spoke to an optician today and he had no idea but mentioned having a look online. Don't know why I haven't looked online before.
I get PRES in all types of conditions sitting, standing, laying. The worst is a hardware store where there is a wall of tools hanging on hooks. I can't go down certain aisles. It is usually worse when I am tired. I also get RLS, mostly when I am over tired like on a long haul flight.
I also suffer from frequent deja vu, instances of which have lengthened as I have gotten older. When I was younger deja vu would last for a split second but as I have gotten older it seems to last 3-5 seconds.
I believe deja vu occurs when your eyes process the same information at slightly different speeds. This is somewhat inline with people's theories that PRES could be related to the processing of the image.

Wow, I'm so glad I found this thread.  My 11 yr old has been having this for the past 6 months.  I've done numerous internet searches and never have come up with anything until today.  When he first noticed it happening he told me about a week later.  I then made an eye appointment for him and besides his eyes getting somewhat worse his eyes were healthy.  Pediatrician checked him out and we were sent on our way...saying he was healthy...but she wanted the eye dr to do a recheck of his eyes just in case.  New eye appointment and all was ok.   Eye dr suggested seeing a particular lady in the area that does eye training...that maybe she'd have exercises for the eyes that would help whatever is causing this get better. I have yet to look into that.  Anyway, I've been having more conversations with him about it because it's really bothering him...particularly at night because there is nothing to distract him.  So the shelves on the wall, the corners of the dressers really bother him.  And to the person that said even if you close your eyes that it doesn't help...that's exactly what he said.  Watching tv is hard too because we have a coffee table underneath the tv and it has very sharp corners.  I feel so bad for him...and wish I could fix this.  One question i have for you all is do any of you suffer from anxiety?  I've also read a lot on vertigo and wondered if this was anything like that...the objective kind...where your brain is giving objects a sense of movement when there isn't any.  Vertigo doesn't always have to be feeling like things are spinning.  I even read somewhere and now cannot find the article about a particular vertigo that presents from horizontal or vertical objects...so I was thinking maybe it had to do with a malfunction in the brain.  What's interesting is that 6 months ago when he was trying to describe it to me he said "mom, it's not an eye problem...it's a problem in the way my brain is processing information...I know the corners aren't going to move toward me but my brain makes it feel like they will."...and went on to say something about the white matter in his brain.  Yeah, he's a little smarty!  I can't wait to share this thread with him to let him know he's not alone...but sad to hear that nobody has found relief....or answers.  
Good to have more people on the thread, hopefully our shared experience will help work towards solving this.

As more people come on board and want to talk about this, I think we need to think about the name PRES. As we don't know it's linked to RLS, the R in PRES may end up being misleading for people. Can I suggest before we get too far down the line that we choose a different name?

We could just drop the R and go for PES, but my suggestion would simply be CLASP Syndrome – Cannot Look At Sharp Points, which deals with the symptoms rather than possible causes/associations.

Any thoughts?
CLASP is good.  What about Pointy Edge Eye Syndrome or PEES...LOL  As it seems like it's not always just sharp points for people but sharp edges and corners of things.  However it does seem to mostly be because of the sharp corners of things.  Or Sharp Edges Eye Syndrome ...or SEES....kinda catchy.    I'd love to start a facebook page with the name everyone agrees apon :)

I also want to say my son says it does not matter if he closes his eyes either.  What helps sometimes is him just blocking the area with his hand held in front of him.  I don't think it matters if he's standing or sitting or lying down.  He said the grocery store isles were particularly bothersome...and that's in a standing position.  Also the more he thinks about it the more it bothers him....and why at night its appears worse because he's sitting still trying to relax without any distractions.

Carecare...mom to 11 yr old with this unknown syndrome
For those of you with bedtime "corner of nightstand/dresser" sufferers, try taking a pillowcase (something very smooth without ridges) and placing it over your eyes. Fold it in a 'strip' (2-3 inches wide) and lay it across your eyes.  It should help alleviate some of the sensations.   But beware, if you use a rough cloth (or a 'fold' touches your eyelids), the sensation may actually be heightened.  It sure beats falling asleep with your arm across your eyes!  Not as effective, but just enough to help me sleep.  (I tried an eye mask, but seemed too 'puffy' and 'scratchy' to a point where it just made it worse.)

To the Mom of the 11 year old boy... that was me!  I am now a 28-year old guy, and the problem still exists.  Tell him he's not crazy. Or if he is... then we're all crazy together :-P

I have found that my triggers 'change' over the years.  For example, I remember age 16, I wanted my drivers license, but was worried that I wouldn't be able to drive if it rained (due to windshield wipers 'clawing' my eyes.)  In later years, I asked my wife to drive if it was raining.  This lasted for about 8 years.  By age 24, windshield wipers bothered me 'less', but silverware (knives, forks pointed at me) bothered me more than they ever have. And yes, I do have "flare ups" where *everything* intensely bothers my eyes/brain. I found as a 'driver', it bothers me less than if I'm a 'passenger'.  (And it doesn't bother me much if I'm in the back seat.)

Good luck to all!  By the way, I like "SEES" because it is a clever acronym for an eye/brain problem :)

- rp
tomsav, I see your point about 'symptoms' rather than 'causes'.  Other ideas:

DASO - Discomfort Around Sharp Opjects

or, more specific...

VDASO - Visual Discomfort Around Sharp Objects

SEES is great. Far better than anything i suggested. Everyone agree?
Ok. Evening all. Time for me to reveal more about my thoughts behind this.

I have several things diagnosed as being wrong with my brain that i've held back from stating on here as i have literally NO idea if they are connected and i didn't want to cause undue stress (especially for parents of children suffering from this).

But now i genuinely feel revealing more about my medical history would make my position on things clearer. I hope it's used as general info. If you or you child has no other symptims, it is MASSIVELY unlikely they/you have anything seriously wrong. Re-read that. Brain illnesses come with lots of symptoms. Please don't worry unduely.

That said:

I suffered from SEES (i'm running with that name) far more when i was a child than now. I still suff a bit. But when i was younger i would get it in stores, during everyday life, lke you all say now. Nowadays, i only get it when sat down with a corner in my eyeline.

In 1999 I was diagnosed at the age of 22 with hydrocephalus. Water on the brain. They don't know how long i was suffering before my diagnosis, but it is likely years if not all my life.

In 1999 i underwent a brain op to reduce the pressure build up **and since then my SEES symptoms have been massively reduced**. This has led me to guess that it is caused by raised head/eye pressure. But only guess. My symptoms are reduced by standing up, which also reduces the pressure in your head.

My particular hydrocephalus was causing my brain to press against the back of my eyes. So i can't advise if i think it's the increased brain pressure, or he symptomatic increasd eye pressure, that is to blame.

To confuse matters even further:

My hydrocephalus was caused by a (benign) deformity in my tectal plate - the part of your brain that deals with visual processing amongst other things. So that could also be responsible. But i still suffer from that deformity yet my SEES has improved since my ICP (intracranial pressure) decreased, so i add that for completeness of information.

I stress again that even if we do all have increased brain pressure, i lived happily for 22yrs before diagnosis, and have been healthy for a decade since my op. It's not ideal but it's not earth-shattering. Don't worry! I am saying all this in order to rule it out.

I am currently obtaining my ten-year history of mri brain scans that i would be happy to provide to medics for information if anyone wants to see them.

I welcome your comments and again hope you don't see this as overly concerning, when it's most probably a red herring.

We'll get to the bottom of this one day.

All the best,
Tom

PS someone please rule this all out asap so people don't worry.
Thank you so much for posting your story Tom.  It might help others who are looking for answers.  I really appreciate it.

carecare
I think I speak for everyone on this thread when I say thank you very much for sharing with us something that is personal to you. It might help some people and it might not but at least its something to look at.

I would also agree that as a child I had minor attacks with my eyes. I guess some of us can say that this symptom progresses over time as we get older perhaps?

This is definitely progress, its things like these that make me appreciate the internet and technology :)    
Do any of you suffer from migraines?  

Do any of you suffer from anxiety?  

Those are the two things I have been wondering.

~Mom of a SEES son
My daughter who is 18 has suffered from SEES for as long as she can remember.  She has migraines and had a MRI which showed she has a slightly lower than normal cerebellar sinus.  When I goggled this it was somewhat connected to chronic fatigue syndrome which she doesn't have.  She does have anxiety and there is a family history of anxiety.  Also, her grandfather has restless legs syndrome and Parkinson's.  I have slight restless legs syndrome.   She went to an eye doctor who looked at her like she was speaking a foreign language then ignored it.  Her neurologist didn't have any idea what it was and suggested she google it and she found all of your comments.  Thank you for helping her know she isn't crazy and alone with this problem.  She is thin, says standing up only helps because the sharp object is no longer in her line of sight.  She is near sighted and wears contacts.  But she had this problem before her eyesight got bad.  I don't know if any of this helps.  Thank you for all of your comments.
Greetings,

Thank you all for sharing your comments. I am a 29-year old female and have experienced these same symptoms (which I have deemed "goofy eyes) for about the last 6 or 7 years. I finally searched "eye condition pointy objects" in Google this evening and was relieved to stumble upon this forum.

I was surprised to hear that so many other folks experience these symptoms. As others have noted, I'm comforted knowing that I'm not alone and/or crazy, but I'm sorry to hear that so many others are plagued with SEES ... especially the kiddos! I totally relate to all of your descriptions above. I was inclined to make an eye doctor appointment and do a Google search after numerous "episodes" this weekend in a home improvement store tool aisle, during a long distance road trip with splatters on the windshield, in a restaurant from drinking straws, and in my bathroom from the corners of an open pull-out drawer (to name just a few recent "triggers").

After talking with my husband and mom about the "episodes" this weekend, they recommended that I make an eye doctor appointment. I made the appointment today but don't know how much it will help. Several years ago I tried to explain the phenomenon to a couple of different eye doctors, but I never got anywhere. They listened but could not substantiate my concerns.

I often wonder if my sensitivity to pointy and shiny objects relates to computer eye strain and/or fluorescent lights. I work in a professional office setting and find that wearing computer glasses and "knocking out" the fluorescent lights above my desk has helped alleviate chronic migraine headaches. Nevertheless, I still continue to experience SEES. Besides wearing computer glasses to help my eyes focus on computer screens, I do not wear glasses or contacts otherwise. Has anyone else made a similar connection between their SEES episodes and computer use/fluorescent light exposure?

I am intrigued by all of your comments here and appreciate your stories and descriptions. I will continue to search more information and will report back to you if I happen to find anything insightful that isn't already discussed in this forum.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences, and best wishes to all!!

Most sincerely,
JS
ok I think I might have found something that could help some of you, don't want to jinx it but it helped me a lot. has anyone tried putting on your sunglasses whenever you start experiencing the attack? if yes did it help at all? I realized that light can be an big issue here and in this case the shades could help by blocking it out. I hope this will help everyone.
Hi again eveyone. If putting sunglasses on helps it could be related to the relief others get from pinching the top of their noses during an attack. In essense the glasses pressing on the nose could be doing the same thing.
To who asked about migraines and anxiety. I've never had anxiety but I was treated for migraines for years before they realised they were pressure headaches rather than actual migraines.
When the attack or episode happens, especially if you are one of the folks who covers or puts pressure on one eye:

Press on the center of whichever eye you would apply pressure to with the eye id closed trying to press on the pupil

Look to the right repetitively as far as you can for the right eye and the left for the left eye. Keep the other eye open. Really try to look far to the right or left. It should feel like you are straining the eye to look as far away from your head as possible.

I guess it could work with both eyes too... This is the way I learned to help myself with this. I have tried sunglasses which work sometimes. I have also tried a patch. I also noticed that there is a pressure point just above and slightly behind the temple on the head that can change the headache when I apply pressure as well as a place on my jaw.

When I do this and think about the relation between my two eyes moving it helps a lot. Especially with computers and tv screens.
One more little thing......I noticed I have a very dominant eye and the opposite one is the one that needs to have pressure for me, if I try to see a bit more though that eye after I do that excersise it also helps.
I've read this whole thread here, really wish someone had popped in and said "oh yeah, this is called (some fancy name)" but I'm glad to at least see that I'm not alone here.

I was just woken up from sleep by this. I had been asleep for 4-5 hours. I have a cold (this is the first night of it, noticed it start yesterday afternoon)

But it's so overwhelmingly bad right now that I woke up and searched google for "my eyes feel weird" - and this came up.

I just want to say... I'm 28, noticed this most of my life, doesn't only happen 'in real life', looking into spikes or points on a tv screen or even just in my mind's eye will trigger the response I feel in my eyes.

squinting is basically the only relief I can get, but I can't sleep when I'm squinting.
I have had the same issue with things " pointing at me" my entire life! I have just learned to deal with it but now my 7 year old son is complaining about the same problem. Has anyone figured out what causes this poin in the eye from things pointing at you? I find the worst culprits are table corners & straws in drinks. My son can't sit on one if our couches due to the angle of the tables & other pointy objects. Please help!!!
I sympathize with you being the parent of a child dealing with this.  My son is the same way.  The other day he was in my bedroom to watch a movie and my dresser was bothering him a lot so I just covered it with a blanket and he was fine then and able to watch the movie.  Table and shelf corners seem to be the worst for him.  I wish I had answers...but I don't.  Nor do most doctors.  It's a frustrating syndrome that is for sure!    
Another question for you all.  Are any of you gluten intolerant or have celiac disease?  My husband gets sick from gluten.  Not sure if it's celiac or gluten intolerant but I do know what he has is hereditary because his mother has problems too.  Now my kids are having issues and I'm about to get some testing done on my son who has this eye syndrome.  In a couple weeks he sees the dr and I'm going to demand they run a full celiac panel.  I know even if it comes back negative it doesn't mean he doesn't have it.   Many false negatives with blood work in this area.  Anyway, he has been having muscle aches frequently and that is the reason I'm bringing him to see his dr.  Muscle aches are common in people who have celiac.  If he is celiac ...then his body is in a state of inflammation...which could come out anywhere in the body really.  One of the symptoms of celiac can be vertigo...so if this is along the lines of vertigo then I won't be so surprised if it's related to his gluten ingestion.  At home he gets a lower gluten diet than the norm because I have to cook gluten free for my husband but he does get smaller amounts of gluten most days.  While at summer camp earlier in the month he was getting gluten in every meal.  He said his muscle aches were every day and worse than ever.  He also was bothered a lot by the chapel and all the edges and points in there.  He didn't like it one bit.  

He thinks he should just go gluten free and see what happens as he doesn't want a blood test.  However, I do want him to get a blood workup...because if it does end up positive I'll have more of an idea as to why he has these problems.  After his blood test I will let him go gluten free.  I don't think we'll do a small intestinal biopsy.  If he gets better gluten free...we'll know our answer.  
Just wanted to let you all know my son tested positive for celiac disease.  I will definitely let you all know if his eye symptoms get better once he's on a gluten free diet.  

Wow a lot of people are having this problem. But now seeing that 38 year old people having this problem makes me worried to have it my whole life :( and im only 14. Lets please figure this out this is torture ...
I have the same thing. Sometimes I feel when I look at tree branches they are going to go in my eyes. I also don't like to have straws pointing towards me unless Im drinking out of them. I think it's more neurological than anything.
Also suffering from this problem, 24 year old male here. It is actually pretty rare for me to get it but it started acting up when I was at the dentist recently -- that sucked! I also distinctly remember getting it while watching the movie 300: there is a scene where a rhinoceros charges directly at the camera. I don't have Celiac's disease, but I do have Ulcerative Colitis, which is another digestive disease.

So it seems that this condition has not been documented yet. It might be a good idea to contact a researcher, I'm sure they'd love to be the first to write about it.
omg i am glad to find this post and upset all at the same time. this wierd sensation started for me in early June of this year and already is driving me nuts. it is nice to know i'm not alone but upset and scary that no one has been given an answer from a medical professional. i have been told headaches, sinusistis maybe, anxiety. my doc really is not sure. it doesnt help that it is so hard to describe. i call it my wierd eye/forehead thing. it is totally affecting my life and my ability to enjoy activities with my children. i was starting to think i was going crazy. the only thing that seems to help is sleeping but that is not always an option. i had not noticed it to be related to pointy things but it is possible. i have not been able to find a trigger other than walking into a croweded store. i sure hope someone gets an answer and solution soon. it is debilatating. it scares me to hear how long some of you have been suffering. i have  an iron absorption blood disorder called hemachromatosis and was wondering if it could be related to that. does anyone else have that?
So the last couple postings I find very very interesting.  Could this eye condition be caused by inflammation in the brain...which I'm linking to Celiac disease at the moment.  Celiac can cause neurological problems...and inflammation in any part of the body...it's not just related to the bowels.  Anyway, I did a search on hemachromatosis and celiac and read an article stating 50% of patients with that condition also have celiac disease.  It's something to look into.  Also, I believe Ulcerative colitis can also be linked to celiac disease...or a higher rate of people having that end up having a diagnosis of celiac.  For other people who don't have other symptoms...if you have any family members that have celiac it's possible to have it and not even know it.  Often times if one member of a family has celiac disease they recommend testing everyone (brothers, sisters, parents and grandparents)...because if you have it and don't know it...your chances of getting other autoimmune disorders really goes up...along with very high chances of cancers and other health problems if you continue to ingest gluten.  

So, maybe there is a link to celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.  Sometimes someone tests negative on all the celiac screenings but realize gluten is still an issue.  Often people who are gluten sensitive end up having more nuerological problems from gluten than the actual celiac patient.  

There definitely might be a link here.  Good luck!  
Hello.
Male, 25yrs
I've been suffering with this since I was 10 years old, if I'm not mistaken. Initially it was just a small disconfort when looking at trees passing by while I was in a car. Until this year, it didn't really bother me that much. some times I would have to change sides on the bed so I wouldn't be facing the corner of a nightstand, or look away if I was a watching TV and the camera would focus on a helicopter's blades spinning. But nothing life changing.

For some reason, earlier this year it got A LOT worse.
It began to bother me at night, like a few other have mentioned here.
I had to start sleeping with my hand or a light cloth over my eyes.
That did the trick until this week.
The reason I'm writing this now is because now, even with my eyes covered, I still get this feeling. It's almost impossible to fall asleep if I'm not terribly tired. It also helps if I had some alcohol before, but that's hardly a solution.
It's getting worse on a scary speed, and I'm afraid how far it will go. And I don't know how long I can take it.
28/m.   Had bloodwork done, nothing 'wrong' with me. Everything is fine.  Crossing that off my list for now, I guess!

zinid: Some days/weeks are worse than others.  Sounds like you're at the worst, but it will get less intense in a few days (from my experience.)
I had this too. One of your eyes is confused. All you need to do is practice making the left eye ONLY pay attention to things on he right side of your vision and have your right eye ONLY PAY ATTENTION TO things on the left side of your field of vision. For me. This went away once I realized my right eye was looking into the right corner of my field of Vision during these attacks. Once I realized that and began to practice looking in the left range of my field of vision with my rigt eye, it went away with some hard work. Concentrating on the left side with my right eye,so gives me relief during an attack. This issue 100% has to do with your eyes putting an image together. It is a kind of eye strain I think is related to having a dominant eye and the way your brain puts together stereo vision. I figured this out because I work for a 3dtv testing company and I do work with covering and controlling left and right eyes etc.
Wow, I feel like I've just walked into a surprise party thrown for me by a bunch of friends I never knew I had! Until recently, I had never tried to explain this condition to anyone.

I have been suffering from CLASP Syndrome for as far back as I can remember. I'm a 36 year old male with quite a neurological history. In 1993, at age 19, I began having partial complex seizures (sometimes as many as 20 per day). These went undiagnosed and untreated until 12/30/2003, when I had the first of five generalized (grand mal) seizures. I then was put on medication (Keppra and Lamictal) that controlled the whoppers, but the partial seizures were only slightly lessened by the meds. Finally, on 9/27/2007, I underwent brain surgery (a right temporal lobectomy), which has corrected my epilepsy/seizure disorder completely (I'm still on Lamictal as a precautionary measure). The pathology showed the cause of the seizures to be hippocampal sclerosis.

Aside from all of that, I had a few ocular migraines between the ages of 22-28, and a couple of pretty intense anxiety attacks during the same time period.

Now, back to CLASP (my favorite of the proposed acronyms). The worst culprits for me are straws in drinks, TV shows or movies in which someone is pointing a knife, sword, gun, etc. at the camera (i.e., at my eyes), and people talking with their hands while holding a pen or pencil. Sometimes even the mouse pointer on my monitor gets to me.

I haven't paid much attention to when it is most problematic, but I think that if anything, I might find that it's at its worst in the early mornings or late at night. I have never experienced the discomfort just from knowing that there is a corner nearby, even if I can't see it, as some of you have described. I do find that applying pressure to the bridge of my nose or my forehead helps a tiny bit.

It's amazing that we have all found each other. I never thought I would be able to explain this to anyone.
hi im a 15 year old boy and ive had this for a few years now. It bothers me in class and i get headaches from this. I only get these "attacks" for around 2 weeks and then it goes away for a couple months and comes back. I also only get this in my right eye. We sould really contact some researcher so this can be like an official disorder and hopefully someone can find a cure for this.

Im 16 and I have the same problem too. I tried researching it but I cant find whatever symptoms is that. It's like my eyes gets irritated when i start starring at objects like a pen, fork, needle, knife, anything pointy or sharp. Its so annoying when it comes for me to sleep, like, im going to sleep already and i close my eyes and a knife flashbacks to my brain like its crazy. Ugh. Help.
You guys have to focus the eye that is involved on the opposite side of your field of vision. Really try to do that and the issue will go away. When you walk down an aisle in a shop and this happens it is because of your eyes wandering from each other,,,,,,becoming disoriented, or cross eyed kind of. You need to close each eye and see that your right eye sees the left side nd your left eye sees the right. One of your eyes is looking straight ahead and you need to orient it back to normal for this to go away. If you re young GO TO THE DOCTOR AND GET ONE CONTACT LENSE. you may have a slightly weaker eye that is bieng compensated for. I useto have this and I opened how to make it go away on the spot. My sister too. I hope you can use my advice too.
To get the hang of the feeling of looking right with the left eye and vice versa, you can practice in the mirror. once you do that you will understand how it feels iand you will be able to recreate that feeling without the mirror there and during an attack which is the key to solving this issue. At first it felt really wirrd to me to look foreword that way. Once i got the hang of it in the mirror  and tried it in an attack successfully it feels almost like I'm not looking straight when I am because I'm so used to this wierd issue screwing with my vision.

Anyways:

Close one eye (the one you think isn't the issue or the one you don't typically touch or cover/ pay more attn to during an attack ) and look at the closed eye with the other eye in the mirror. Once yu stare at the opposite eye for a minute, try to keep your vision from shifting while you start opening and closing the eye that was previously closed.

If you take your dominant eye and practice closing it and then blinking it while staring at it with your other eye in a mirror  i hope it could help you as much as me which was a biiiiiiiig help. It's important not to let the image "shift" when you open the other eye while blinking.
I think you have a dominant eye or an eye that sees better or easier than the other, over time the one which Is weaker has become less a part of our vision and began to 'wander' which is why page corners or pins weaned forks we don't really look at stay in our field of vision. For me even the corner of an open door hurts. It's just strain from the wandering eye looking at either the door corner when you are focusing on something else, or your looking at both sides of an aisle in a store and get disoriented. Practicing in the mirror at limiting this wandering and changing how you perceive your field of vision seems to really help.

I hope I am being clear enough for some folks to give this a try because I would like to understand if we can fix this issue either ith my method or by understanding the placebo effect it had on me and my sister that made this go away,
Wow, I have had this condition all my life (I'm in my mid 40s now) and have asked several doctors about it, to no avail. Basically, having any kind of edges or pointy things in my field of vision really makes me uncomfortable, queasy and anxious - it's as if these objects are coming at me and about to poke into my eyes, it's extremely distressing.

I remember as a child I would always dread the end of class when we had to put our chairs on top of the tables and all the legs would be pointing upwards, as if pressing on my eyes. Another thing that really affects me is when I'm in a store that has those metal rods sticking out with things for sale hanging on them. I always have to cover my eyes when I'm in this situation, as it makes me feel faint and anxious, as well as the sense that these things are pressing into my eyes. Another common thing is when I'm eating with someone sitting opposite me and their fork is pointing upward - I always have to turn it so that it's pointing down.

I'd love to be able to get to the bottom of this and find some solutions for getting relief. For now, it's at east comforting to know I am not the only one who has this (whatever it is), that I'm not nuts!
Oh my god i also thought i was the only one who had this! Im alittle discouraged though because noone knows what it is exactly...at random times if i see something sharp or even the traffic wires..the middle of my forehead between my eyebrows becomes sensitve and i have to put pressure on the spot till the discomfort goes away or whatever is bothering me is removed. This has been hapening since i was 11 years old. I hate when this happens because i cant even watch a 3D movie cuz the glasses hurt my head and even glasses themselves sometimes bother me. I wear contacts because i cannot wear glasses because of this problem. Please somebody find out what this is so we can try to gt rid of it or just know why we have this problem.
Welcome to all the new contributors. Has anyone had any updates on this recently? I'm afraid I've been distracted by work so haven't had time to investigate, but if anyone else has then I'd love to hear the news...

Tom
its been getting worse for me..now i get headaches when im at school from the feeling and i noticed its not always pointy objects but sometimes just anything close to me bothers my right eye. anyone know any remedies other than putting pressure on the eye? because that doesnt always work for me. hopefully we can get some specialist to figure this out becuz i want to get my drivers license and this bothers me when i drive. good luck evry1

Miguel
I posted a rather lenghty message on the 7th that has not shown up here.  Lets see if they let this one thru.  If so i will re post my thoughts and suggestions.
I recently examined a patient with "SEES" (my first) and we were able to give here some noticeable relief by reducing her astigmatism correction significantly(this isn't going to be a solution for everyone).
  The condition that you all describe is just fascinating to consider.  After reviewing ALL of your posts it appears that many of you find some relief by using either a visual or physical masking stimulus.  I'm guessing at the cause of your symptoms but I think that there maybe a bridging or cross stimulus from the form recognition centers in the visual cortex to pain receptor centers in the brain.  Similar conditions seem to exist for patients who.... sneeze when exposed to bright lights, see ALL printed letters in color, experience reduced muscle strength when viewing specfic wavelengths of light, are stimulated to seizure by specific flicker rates, experience improved reading speed and comprehension when reading thru light blue tinted lenses.  
   The above examples show that there can be a very strong or noticable physical reaction to visual stimuli.  If we can alter the visual input of an individual and reroute the stimulus to a slightly different receptive center( or cells)  perhaps there will be a change in your response to sharp or angular objects.
  Look for a an eye doctor that will take the time to listen and can think "out of the box".  Doctors with an interest in behavioral vision, vision therapy, sensory vision training or visual perceptual learning might be your best bet.  I am biased, but you will probably find optometrists a better resource here.
   I would ask your doctor to consider prism therapy, plus lens fogging, intentionally inducing low anisometropia or to work with you with differ
ent lens tints.  
  I am not considered an expert in my profession but I find visual perception to be fascinating and you folks have an intriguing problem.

I hope some of this helps.

Mark Cook,OD
Hi everybody

I first dicovered this thread a few weeks ago after having a bad episode of this myself. I have suffered for years with it and thought I was the only person on the planet with this condition. Seeing that I wasn't alone, gave me the courage to finally tell my family and boyfriend about it. So thanks everybody for telling your stories.

Since opening up about it, I have seen 2 different doctors. First doctor thought it was some kind of hallucination (like a hallucination of perception) and wanted to put me on anti-depressants and if that didn't work, then try anti-psychotics. She really didn't do much to diagnose me, so I really wasn't happy with that solution. She did however suggest seeing a clinical psyhcologist as well, which I thought was a good idea.

I then went to a second Dr who had absolutely no idea what to make of it. Neither doctors have heard of this weird eye problem before. The second Dr did not think I was crazy and didn't think that anti-depressants/anti-psychotics would help. The only thing he could suggest was seeing a clinical psychologist.

I went and saw a clinical psychologist who did a diagnostic test (344 questions). The test came back showing NO signs of psychosis/schizoprhenia but it did show some above normal levels of anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. The psychologist felt this condition with the eyes was probably brought on by a traumatic event when I was young. The only thing I could think of was a dog attack when I was 2 years old. I was bitten about an inch under my left eye by a Bull Terrior. I have an immense fear of dogs to this day and the dog attack was a big issue when I was younger.

The psychologist thinks that when I was attacked all I saw was the dog's sharp teeth coming at me and his eye - and this is where my issues with sharp objects and eyes has originated from. (I have an issue with sharp objects, corners, poles, and eyes - like cross eyed people and when people look out of the corner of their eyes).

The psychologist thinks that this event combined with being stressed throughout my childhood has resulted in my anxiety and OCD behaviours now. When I get stressed, my eyes play up (like a psychosomatic symptom).

The psychologist also thinks it sounds like an OCD realted to symmetry. The corners only bother me (I think) when they are too the side of me. If I stand in front of a table in the middle of the table, then the corners on the table don't bother me. If I stand so the table is on one side of me, when a corner is facing me, then the poking in the eye sensation comes on. I can look at people's eyes if they are looking straight but as soon as they look to the side or if someone is cross eyed, it bother me. Even thinking about it now is getting to me. Arrghh!!!!

Like other people have mentioned, I also have this problem when my eyes are closed, just knowing that an object is near me.

Anyways, so Glad to know I'm not alone! We will get to the bottom of this, it's just going to take some time. I will keep you all updated on my progress. Please let me know if my pshycologist's diagnoses may fit anyone else. Has anyone else had a traumatic event that way have trigged this off? Do you suffer from anxiety or OCD? Do you think it could be an issue with symmetry?

Cheers

Kellie (australia)

drcook474

Thank you so much for your response, I will look into everything you said. If I can help you, please get in touch.

kellie7

you make a fascinating point. I fell over and split my eyebrow open on the uncovered thermostat of a radiator when I was a toddler, so if what your doc says is true, it could the vision of that pointed spike heading toward my eye that is responsible. I don't think it is, as I'vve said I think it's physical not mental, but it's certainly worth considering. Has anyone else suffered eye/face trauma or somesuch?
I must admit I am a little torn as to whether it is physical or mental. I have swayed towards it being mental mainly because I still get the sensations when my eyes are closed.

I'm hoping my clinical psychologist has hit the nail on the head because i really want to get over this, however, my clinical psychologist has said there are no guarantees and it is trial and error with these things, unfortunately.

I have also thought it could be physical and maybe diet related. After doing a bit of research I found if the brain is lacking certain vitamins (like B12), then messages can get messed up in the brain. I was a vegetarian for about 12  years and did end up being low in Iron, B12 and some other things. So I wonder if vitamin deficiency could be an issue? If the clinical psychologist can't help me, my next step will be talking to a naturopath and whoever else may be able to make dietry links.

I should also mention that I started wearing glasses four years ago as I am short sighted. I have never mentioned this weird eye thing to the optometrist though becuase I was too embarrassed. Again, if the psychologist can't help me I will definately try and find a good eye doctor in my area to talk to.

Also, I did ask one doctor about the water on the brain issue that you mentioned in an earlier post, but he was confident that I wouldn't have water on the brain as I don't suffer headaches. Also, it doesn't matter if I am sitting down or standing up, I still get this problem.  

Interesting to hear your story about hitting your eyebrow on the corner of the thermostat. Will be interested to hear if anyone else has similar incidences.

man this is really starting to kick my ***. my eye was bothering me alot yesterday on christmas and i was pretty sad. I want to start getting tests done but theres alot of different things people have been saying can cause this. What kind of doctors and tests should I start getting?? Maybe an MRI, celiac disease test, bloodwork?
and i dont think i ever had a traumatic experience. if i look at a corner straight on it doesnt bother me, only when theyre in my periferal vision. i also noticed it might be related to artificial lights because monitors bother me and the lights in school
So relieved to have found this group. My son, now 25, has suffered from this since he was 5. His eye pain comes from drinking straws, store display hooks, having multiple soda bottles in front of him on a table, and also from reading books - he says it's the middle of the book (line down the middle) that bothers his eyes. This last symptom is unique from what I'm reading from you all. It's odd how at times it bothers him a lot, but then he can go for years without mentioning it.
He is currently in prison (has been there 4 years) and the symptoms have become increasingly worse. For this reason, I believe that stress or anxiety play a role in it. However, when he was young I haven't found any reason for him to have stress, yet it still affected him.
Wrestler 15

I'm the same with the periferal vision you mentioned. I'm ok when I'm looking at things dead straight, which has led my psychologist to think I have an OCD to do with symmetry.

Will keep you posted on my progress. At the moment my psychologist is doing exposure treatment with me - making me look at objects I don't like looking at for up to 30 minutes at a time. Hoping this works. I will give this a few months before I start looking at other avenues.

It's interesting your psychologist is doing this with you, let us know how you get on.

I'm extremely sceptical about his/her approach though (as I've said, I'm firmly of the belief this is primarily physical not psychological). Have you asked for this, or has he taken the decision this is a psychological condition and has launched into what by definition is quite stressful treatment without knowing if there is any hope of success? Are you paying per session? Does he have any neuro/opthalmic expertise? I'm just concerned he's doing the medical equivalent of getting you to stub cigarettes out on your leg in the hope it cures cancer (while coining it in watching you do it)...

But if you're happy to go along with it as a 'guinea pig' then the best of luck!
Interestingly enough, when I went for my appointment with my psychologist today, she had been doing more research into possible physical causes of this eye problem. She really wants to rule out any physical possibilities as well. She even rang a good optometrist in the area to get his opinion... and would you believe it, the optometrist she spoke to actually gets a bit of this weird eye problem himself, not to the extent I do, but he certainly seemed to be aware of this eye 'syndrome'.

The optometrist told my psychologist that stress could definately be a big factor but there could be some other issues with optical nerves (??) as well.

I think my psychologist may have hit the jackpot here with regards to finding an optometrist that has heard of this problem and even experiences it a bit himself. Needless to say, I have booked an appointment with this optometrist tomorrow afternoon, so he can check my eyes out and I can find out what he has to say. So stay tuned for an update!

PS. I am a bit skeptical like you and not very trustworthy of people (especially when money is involved), so it's such a relief to have a psychologist that acknowledges that their could be physical symptoms involved and even contacted an optometrist without me even suggesting it. Luckily in Australia, the government pays for us to have up to 10 sessions with a psychologist every year. Having just started a new year I have another set of 10 up my sleeve, so I haven't had to pay anything yet. So definately happy to be a guinea pig for us all while it isn't costing me anything. hehe.  :-)
Just to clarify, the psychologist doesn't sit with me while I do the exposure for 30 minutes. I do that for homework. hehe... that would be really bad if I just sat there looking at objects while she looked at me. Sorry if I confused you with that.

She has stopped me doing the forced exposure for now and is just getting me to look at objects more naturally rather than turning away and trying to avoid them. I actually think this has helped a little bit but it is to early to say definately. I also do deep muscle relaxation morning and night as well as doing 3 lots of 5 minute sessions focusing on breathing throughout the day (everyday).
and one more thing everybody... my psychologist asked me to go and get my blood pressure checked as high blood pressure can cause problems with the eyes. Has anyone else with this problem experienced high blood pressure?

Cheers

Kellie
hello i got the same problem as u guys i am squinting as i am writing this lol wat should i do about it
that last message was for everyone btw
I have truly suffered with this problem my entire life (age 56).  Interestingly in my case, my father also had this problem and so does my daughter (age 21) - and the issues are exactly as described by many of the posts here.  Until reading these posts and visiting an extremely kind and professional doctor (drcook474) today - we thought the problem was unique to our family and that we were the only ones on the planet suffering from this.  It is unfortunate, but actually hearing that others have this problem - and that we are not crazy or alone - is very comforting as others have said.

SEES is fine, but personally, I like the acronym CLASP as that nails it.  I Cannot Look At Sharp Points - forks, pencils, corners of furniture, straws, scissors, etc. - and the nearer to my eye those objects are, the worse it is.  The resulting pain (also well described earlier in these postings) seems to be intensified if these pointed objects are pointed at me or if they are coming at me...and the worst situation is when I cannot cover the point or move it out of my line of sight.  Although, I too do not recieve relief simply by closing my eyes - the point is still there and causing pain (I'm sure you fellow sufferers will relate).  

But I think there is some GOOD NEWS in that Dr. Cook has taken a geniune interest in trying to diagnose the problem - and with his expertise and experience, perhaps some suggestions may be forthcoming to alleviate the condition.  Based on our discussion today and reading through all of the posts in this forum, my "guess" is that my  problem is more caused by the brain than the eyes themselves.  Dr. Cook is currently working with my daughter and me and I will be glad to supply future updates.  I need to mention that Dr. Cook is the first eye doctor who has taken such an interest in our case.  A few years ago, I even went to a team of eye specialists at a prominent local university who could not understand the problem and essentially dismissed me as having some type of OCD.  

I cannot close without thanking Dr. Cook - and the other participants in this forum who are all trying to help.  
SEESdad55 - Thankyou so much for sharing. I can't wait for your updates!

I've been meaning to give everyone a progress report too.

I saw the Behavioural Optometrist over a week ago now and he did pick up some eye teaming problems with me. He called it "Convergence Excess". He said Vision Therapy may help a little with the poking sensations but there are really no guarantees. He actually thinks these weird sensations come on as a result of stress. He experiences them himself when he is stressed. So he suggested I keep seeing my psychologist to deal with my anxiety. He also said I would be no good at vision therapy at the moment as it would trigger off the weird eye sensations and I need to learn to relax a bit more so I can handle the vision therapy.

I was chatting to my psychologist today and she no longer thinks it is a psychosomatic symptom. She thinks the pain in my neck which is brought on by stress is affecting the optical nerves in my neck and is resulting in the weird eye poking sensations.

I asked my doctor for a referral to a neurologist as I would like to see if they can pick up any nerve damage. the dr wouldn't give me a referall - he said I have to see an opthamologist first. So I will be seeing one tomorrow, though I have a feeling they won't find anything and will just send me for an MRI.

Will keep you posted.

Certainly input from all angles / professions is welcome, but I cannot agree that SEES is caused by stress (I'm interested in others' thoughts about that).  I cannot look at pointed objects whether I am under a high stress situation or getting a massage on the beach - they bother me just the same.

However, I will say that the problem does seem to intensify if I am very tired or not feeling well (so, perhaps that is stress related).  But just wanted to make the "point" - please pardon the pun - that for what I've observed in our family with 3 SEES sufferers, the problem is certainly not caused by stress.  Considering my daughter experienced it - often severely - on a regular basis when she was simply playing as a young child.

Would be interested to hear from others whether there are particular times or type of events that either cause or intensify SEES for them.  For our family - it is anytime, anywhere there are pointed, sharp objects around.      
SEESdad55 and drcook474,

I went to the opthamologist today and after what he had to say, I think we are starting to merge on to the same path.

The opthamologist said my eyes looked great and there are no physical probems. He seemed very confident that the issue is synesthesia - the brain making connections between seeing certain things and having these poking sensations.

This description seems to be what you are describing and what drcook474 described back on the 14th December 2011 when he stated  "bridging or cross stimulus from the form recognition centers in the visual cortex to pain receptor centers in the brain".

drcook474 - is synesthesia what you are referring to?

I've been googling synesthesia and there is a genetic link, which would explain why a few people on this forum have had other family members that have also experienced it.

SEESdad55, I know my eyes can be worse when i'm tired and stressed but perhaps stress/tiredness is not the cause but simply intensifies the sensations, as you said.

I've always thought it was a brain related thing but I also never thought I was crazy, so this synesthesia is sounding very plausible to me.

Fingers crossed we are getting closer to some more definitive answers! Although it didn't sound like there was any way to fix this problem. The opthamologist said it may go away on its own if the brain doesn't find the connection necessary/useful in the future.
Hi everyone, hope you're all well.

Re synesthesia - it's been suggested before. However I got an expert in the field to read through this thread and he said he didn't think it fitted the bill; certainly to his mind it's no previously recognised form of the illness. Search the thread for synesthesia to see the posts from the time (i'd give you the date but i can't do a search from my ipad). But a second opinion is always worth hearing.

And as i've said previously i'm certain SEES not caused by stress. People with it may get stressed but that doesn't mean stress is responsible! I'decho what Seesdad55 said - i get it worse when i'm tired or ill but i also get it in the most stress-free situations and not in the most stressful.
I worked out how to search: those synesthesia posts were in the days after Dec 7 2010.
Yeah with the stress thing, it's kinda like what came first, the chicken or the egg? Does stress help bring on the SEES or does the SEES create anxiety because I'm always worried it could kick in badly at any time. I know it creates anxiety because i'm always worried about it. :-( So maybe stress is an effect of the SEES and not the cause.

I did look over the entire thread yesterday and did read the synesthesia posts you mentioned. I thought it might be worth bringing up again since my opthamologist seemed to be referring to it. He specifically said to me that what I have "is like someone that can see music". I think he may have even said the word "synesthesia" but may have said it so fast i didn't catch on. Anyhow, when I came home and googled "people who see music", it came up with "synesthesia".

I wonder if people who suffer this are too embarrassed to come forward and that is why it has not been studied and that is why the synesthesia expert had not heard of it?

Hopefully drcook474 can shed some more light on SEES as he works closely with seesdad55.