Why do my eyes feel weird looking at certain objects?
Recently, I have discovered this new feeling related to my eyes. The feeling is hard to discribe but its quite strange.

When I look at certain objects such as trees, spears or anything pointy/sharp, I get this feeling within my eyes. This feeling forces me to look away from the object. I wouldnt call the feeling pain its more discomfort.

Sounds really weird but I dont have a clue what it could be related too. If I had to discribe the feeling, imagin someone holding a pin to your eye and slowing moving it forward, your reaction would be to look away, thats the best I can discribe it.

Hope you can help.

Mark
I'm no doctor, but it could be Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Or it can be a number of neurological things.
I would recommend you start with a baseline eye exam by an Eye MD ophthalmolgist. Find one near you at www.aao.org

JCH MD
Dont feel bad, I have the same issue with my eyes, when I walk by a pointy object it makes my eyes feel like the object is actually poking my eyes, its a really uncomfortable, better yet irritating feeling, and sometimes I cant sleep because of it, but ive found that when I dont have enough sleep this happens mostly but should I consult a physician or is it sleep related?
-
I have this exact same problem... It's been that way for like ten years now. Sometimes even if my eyes are closed but I know there is a "pointy object" there, it still irritates me. It's almost unbearable at times and interferes with class, work, conversations, etc. Help?!?
Wow! I cant believe I found this!

I am experiencing this exact thing.

Any more theories as to what it could be?
-
I have exactly the same issue, and have had all my life. I'm 32 now. It's actually a relief to find other people suffer from it, after a lifetime of people half-jokingly thinking I was going mad!

As Mark wrote: "If I had to discribe the feeling, imagin someone holding a pin to your eye and slowing moving it forward, your reaction would be to look away, thats the best I can discribe it."

That's the perfect description. I've been examined by some of the best eye and brain docs around and no-one can explain it, but I'm determined to get to the bottom of it.

Can you email me - tomsav-**-*****-***-*** as I have questions galore to ask you all about causes etc.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it together!

Cheers,
Tom
-
Why all the '-' posts?
By your '-' post are you saying "refer to my earlier answer", ie "get a baseline eye exam"? Because if you are, that's no good as I've already HAD plenty of those. It seems to be a fairly baffling condition (or, more likely, a baffling symptom of another condition).

My thoughts are that the condition is more brain-related than eye-related, but I won't have the chance to check that with the other posters as someone has thoughtfully deleted my email address above. Hmmm, annoying, especially as the medics treating me could possibly have gleaned some useful info from those guys.

So, Mark, Nathan, Frog and Alex - if you see this and want to get in touch, send me a message using the MedHelp's messaging system - click on my username.

Cheers,
Tom
I have these weird symptoms as well. I really annoys me sometimes and when I try to explain it to people, they think im nuts! i'd really like to know what is causing this or moreover, what its called??? does anybody know??
Hello, I have had this for years sometimes worse than others at the moment it is really bad i fined it hard to drive or just walk around the house in the morning. it seems worse in the morning and now makes me feel really sick. I would love to know how to get rid of it because irs driving me mad.
Vicky
Hope you're all well. I'm still determined to get to the bottom of this. If anyone with these symptoms wants to get in touch and we can question each other about causes/effects/ways of preventing etc in an attempt to work out what the hell it is (or at least how best to live with it), then feel free to drop me a message - hover your mouse pointer over my username at the top of this message and choose "send message".
It doesn't matter what you tell your eye MD, anything they cannot see will be filed off as "subjective visual problems".    And yes, they more often than not will think you are crazy.    I haven't had those symptoms described here...but others.
I started feeling this when I was diagnosed with restless leg syndrome. It used to be just at night when i closed my eyes but the restless leg medication helped. However, I am started to feel the pressure on my eyes during the day.  I making an eye appt as we speak.
for your restless leg syndrome, have someone pop your toes before you sleep, it should get rid of it for the night and keep doing this for a couple months and it should eventually go away.
That was also one of the symptoms that appeared for me, really restless legs when I was trying to sleep.   That actually cleared when I added LDN to my protocol (low dose naltraxone).    Many have reported same thing on LDN, RLS cleared.     Look it up.

My husband has this exact problem! It gets wrose when he's tired. Sometimes if i have a fork in my hand while i'm talking to him, he'll have to look away because the fork is anoying him. Sometimes it's the windscreen wipers on the car that make his eyes start to hurt, sometimes it the corner of a cupboard! SO STRANGE!!!! I wish we knew what it was! I'd never heard of anything like this before i met him!
Okay. I definitely think the Restless Leg Syndrome is the common denominator... so what causes that? Some causes are dehydration, improper diet (not enough fruits & veggies), inactivity, & poor circulation. Maybe if the RLS goes away my boyfriend's Pointy Restless Eye Syndrome (PRES) will go away. He's had it ever since he can remember having it as a child. He believes he was not properly hydrated as a child and through adultood. That will be our first test to watch for PRES & RLS and their return while he's properly hydrated... process of elimination.  We'll keep y'all updated with the progress of the "hydration theory". :)
Hi ihoneybonveno - how are you getting on? Can I just say that I've never had RLS. A quick Googling of the symptoms and nothing seems familiar to me - yet I've had "PRES" (great name!!) all my life. Just in case that helps your research.
Tom