Eye Care Expert Forum
Why is one of the lenses in my new glasses "pulling" my eye?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I realize this is more of an optometry question, but I hope you can give me some insight before I take further action.

I am nearsighted. A couple weeks ago, I got an eye exam; a new, stronger pair of prescription glasses (high index lenses); and a pair of prescription sunglasses (regular plastic lenses).  When they came in, the sunglasses felt fine.  The high index glasses, however, made the muscles in my left eye feel sort of strained, and when I change focus from this to that, it's almost like something's passing over my eye.  After about a week of trying to get used to it, I went back.

At that time, the optician I talked to checked the focal points and made a slight adjustment to the frames (which made them crooked, I later noticed).  She said a lot of people have trouble with high index lenses, and if I didn't feel better in a week, I should probably have them switched out for polycarbonate ones.

Well, I didn't feel better in a week.  Today I went back and talked to a different optician, who took one look at my record and told me (nobody told me this before) that I have a slight astigmatism in that eye and my old glasses were not correcting it, but the new ones are trying to.  My brain keeps wanting to lead my eye focus back to how it was, and that's why I'm having trouble.  She said I need to wear them consistently, and not switch back to my old ones, and my eye should adjust. She also seemed to think the answer I got before, about switching to polycarbonate lenses, was bunk.

I forgot to ask why, then, do the prescription sunglasses feel fine?  Are they NOT trying to correct my astigmatism because they're just plain plastic?  I'm starting to wonder if I'm getting the runaround from this office and would like an opinion before I go back again.

I should probably note that while my old glasses were definitely not strong enough anymore, I had no "pulling" problem with them.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

J.
New astigmatism correction will take time to get used to, but high index glasses do as well...double whammy. If you old glasses are working well, why did you have new glasses made? Just because the prescription is off a minute amount it is not hurting your eyes.
Best wishes,
Timothy D. Mcgarity, MD
Thank you very much for your reply.  Since I wrote in, I've been wearing the high index glasses regularly.  They're mostly comfortable now, but will probably take a little more time.

My old glasses were o.k., but I've had them since 2005!  I hadn't realized how much my sight had changed.

Thanks again.

J.