Eye Care Community
Why my left eye suddenly lost half of its vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Last sunday within seconds my eye lost vision in the upper half. It was like a shade or curtain came half way down.  So i went to the emergency room at a hospital and saw a optamologist and he told me i have branched retinal artery occlusion. The only test he did was dilate my eyes with drops and looked in my left eye with a light.  He told me to take a aspirin a day and he prescribed eye drops  He did no further tests. Has anyone else out there had this happen to them  I am 50 yrs old and everything I read about this says it is more common in 70 to 80 yr olds. He said within 90 days i will know if my vision will come back or not.  I need to talk to someone who has had the same thing happen to them. If you can please help.
You need to be followed by an Eye MD to look for complications and be sure it resolves.

You need to see a GP or Internist for a complet physicical.  Things that need to be excluded: High blood pressure, diabetes, thick/easily clotted blood, heart trobules, glaucoma, smoking, obesity.

JCH MD