Eye Care Expert Forum
Will I go Blind?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Will I go Blind?

Hi - I am 32 years and my myopia script was -17 in both eyes.  I had ICL surgery in Oct 2011.  After the surgery - my vision was 20/20 and clear but after a month or so - started developing lots of floaters (huge floaters/veil).  After several optometrist and opthamologist visit - they said that I was experiencing PVD and that it will stop.  My retinalogist  check my retina and said it was okay and that my vitreous has degenerated. He could do a vitrectomy.  Need to visit  him in the next 6 months. I can feel my vitreous moving like crazy - also I have halos and glare and sometime my vision is blurry and cloudy and sometime double vision.

One of the doctors said that in both of my eyes- two out of three point of the vitreous has detached and my central vision is still intact.  So my question are  :

1) Will I be suffering from RD in the next year?
2)  I can become blind?
3) Are their any solutions?
4) Are there any physical restrictions

All these are making me very anxious and worried.  Any help would be great,  since I need to plan out my future (if i become blind) as I have two young children.  I just hope that I can still have some vision left to see my kids growing :(

Please advise
PVD does not cause blindness, but a retinal detachment can lead to loss of vision.  Vitrectomy carries major risks, and should not just be done to remove the floaters.  As a very high myope, you do stand a higher chance of retinal detachment from the very long eyeball and retinal thinning.  With an ICL, one reason for the blurry/cloudy vision could be the development of a cataract.  This should be evaluated.  I would be seen by your retina specialist every 6 months, and immediately if there is a shower of new floaters or a sudden loss of peripheral vision.  With good care, you should retain your vision.
Thanks for the comment and information. You sound optimistic! I am just trying my best to ignore those floaters?

Not sure what my doctor meant when she said that said that the vitreous attachment to the optic nerve has detached and hence caused a lot of floaters?  So does it mean that my optice nerve is okay/ my central vision is intact.

Since my vitreous is detached, doesn't it mean that they will not be any tugging to the retina?  Please advise and thanks for your help