Eye Care Community
Will decompression help my eye movement?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I have Graves in my right eye.  The eye is bulging and there is swelling around my eye.  My main problem is my eye no longer moves to the right and is almost turning to the left a little.  I do see double and basically can't see to the right without closing one eye.  It makes driving very difficult.  I saw the doctor today and decompression was brought up.  I really don't like the sound of that and would think that would be a last resort.  Will my Graves symptoms go away in time and the movement come back to my eye without having the decompression surgery? And if I have the decompression surgery will the movement come back? I just don't want to go to such extremes if it won't make the movement come back..  Any thoughts would be helpful.  
Thank you,
Terry
Every case is different.  The type of restriction you get with Grave disease is hard to correct.  You need to ask your surgeon these questions.

Dr. O.