Eye Care Expert Forum
Will decompression help my eye movement?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I have Graves in my right eye.  The eye is bulging and there is swelling around my eye.  My main problem is my eye no longer moves to the right and is almost turning to the left a little.  I do see double and basically can't see to the right without closing one eye.  It makes driving very difficult.  I saw the doctor today and decompression was brought up.  I really don't like the sound of that and would think that would be a last resort.  Will my Graves symptoms go away in time and the movement come back to my eye without having the decompression surgery? And if I have the decompression surgery will the movement come back? I just don't want to go to such extremes if it won't make the movement come back..  Any thoughts would be helpful.  
Thank you,
Terry
Decompression surgery is called for in cases where the eye is very dry from exposure or there is pressure on the nerve.  It will not fix the eye movement but may be a first step before needing eye muscle surgery to fix the double vision for straight ahead vision.  Unfortunately, in most cases full motility does not come back to the muscle as it has lost it's regular functions.  If you have doubts about the need for surgery, see an oculoplastic specialist (eye MD with training in plastic and reconstructive surgery) for a second opinion.

HV
Thank you so much for the information.  I am going to see a specialist on April 1st so hopefully I will get more information at that time.  I really don't want to have decompression surgery if it won't help the movement. The entire thing is very upsetting and I just want my eye to look and work properly again. I don't understand why the muscle quit working in the first place.  Thank you again for your help.
Terry
Eye muscles get infiltrated and thickened in this disease which prevents them from performing their normal contractions/movements.  It is one of the most frustrating eye problems to deal with but with the right doctors you may find some relief.  Don't rule anything out until you see the specialist.

HV