Eye Care Expert Forum
Will

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Will

Dear Sirs..In hopes you can help me. My father-in-law is 89 years of age and has a lower red eyelid on his right eye. It does not hurt or itch and there is no dryness or blurred vision. He has no headaces or other discomforts. His only medication at this time is Lipitor. He went to an eye doctor who told him did not know what was wrong only reccomending eye drops. He then went to another doctor who also said he did not know what was wrong, but to stop taling the eye drops? He lives in a small town where this may not occur often. Sure hope you can help or direct me. I do not live near him but comunicate daily. Will be glad to answer any further questions. Thanks for your help
As we have pointed out on this forum before there are real physicians (Doctors of Medicine) that are called "eye doctors" and there are non-physician, limited -scope eye care providers (Optometrists) that are also called "eye doctors". The training differs vastly and does their ability to diagnose and treat eye diseases.

If both of the "eye doctors" that your grandfather saw were optometrists, he needs a real comprehensive medical eye examination by an Eye MD. There should be one in his local or a near-by community.

You can go to the website of the American Academy of Ophthalmology www.aao.org and use the Find An Eye MD feature to find an Eye MD in his home community.

If he has seen an ophthalmologist then I would use the same featue and under speciality find an Oculo-plastic surgeon (an Eye MD ophthalmologist with extra training in disease and surgery of the eyelids, tear ducts and orbit) and get him in to see one.

There is a real concern if this has been present for a long time and at his age that it could be a skin cancer. About the most dangerous place in the body for common skin cancer  (not a melanoma) is on the eyelids where it can burrow into the orbit and brain.

JCH III MD Eye Physician