Eye Care Expert Forum
Wo to se for unbiased second opinion

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Wo to se for unbiased second opinion
Pt age 60 evaluated as excellent candidate. Crystalens X 2 on 4/9 and 4/23/09. Worsening negative dysphotopsia, both eyes, under most light conditions, especially close-up. No ability to read newspaper-size type except in fairly bright natural light. Also PCO was evident on exam by week 1 in 4/9 eye without noticeable effect so far (by pt). Dr suggests YAG. Is it possible to obtain an unbiased second opinion from an expert?
Usually dysphotopsia symptoms improve greatly over time.  Also you said you could read some as long at the light was bright - so there is at least some reasonable news here.  I think it is totally reasonable for you to get a second opinion from another board-certified ophthalmologist in your area before your proceed with the yag, since you have reservations and are not totally confident in your surgeon.

Michael Kutryb, MD
Kutryb Eye Institute
Titusville, FL
Edgewater, FL
I am not a doctor. Only a patient such as yourself. It is absolutely possible and advisable to seek a second opinion from a qualified surgeon especially before proceeding with further procedures such as YAG. You should always take the time to explore your options. ]
Good luck.
londonbridge