Eye Care Expert Forum
Worried and wondering

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Worried and wondering

Last February i was punched in my left eye and the following week i started to see flashes now and then, most always in the dark. I didn't think much of it at the time and wasn't worried. I would've went to see an ophthalmologist but like many others today i have no health insurance. So i went on about my business and left it to fate. It was still happening a couple months later and i figured that i was still healing or i had permanent damage. As more time passed the frequency of the flashes faded and pretty much completely stopped. It has been a year and my eye sight is fine. No shadows in my vision and loss, i have astigmatism so floaters are nothing new. A flash is very rare now and barely noticeable. 2 weeks ago i heard something on T.V. about retinal tears and i decided to look it up. Well i had a slight panic attack at the results of my research. Now I've become a hypochondriac and am worried about going blind. If i were to have a retinal detachment, wouldn't it have happened by now? Should i still be worried about that happening? I read that retinal tears can heal themselves and don't require surgery or any procedure. Is there a chance that i can still have a detachment and have vision loss partially or permanently? Male 29
While it is true that retinal tears can self-heal, I wouldn't take that chance.  It is not likely that you have a retinal detachment, or you would have noticed loss of side vision by now.  If you are worried, I would see an ophthalmologist for a dilated retinal exam.  You could be referred to an ophthalmologist through EyeCare America, through the American Academy of Ophthalmology.  A volunteer ophthalmologist will examine you at no charge.  Go to AAO.org.