Eye Care Expert Forum
Worsening Vision
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Worsening Vision

I see halos and glares around lights..it would only happen at night and now it happens during the day and even indoors. I also have noticed that when I cover my left eye colors appear faded. I am seeing an ophthalmologist in a couple of weeks. I have noticed that my right eye is slightly misaligned...could this be causing the problems with my vision?
1731421_tn?1358826971
It could be the cause and it sounds like you are having some of the classic symptoms of cataract. Blur, glare and hopefully temporary eye misalignment.Great News! Cataract Surgery is something to look forward to...we can actually make a part of your body function very well.
Best wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
www.tmcgaritymd.com
6 Comments
Blank
Thanks so much for the response. I should have mentioned I am 34 years old. I do wear contacts and have astigmatism. What causes cataracts in someone my age?
Blank
I am 30 and was recently diagonesed with a cataract. Some reasons a younger person may develop a cataract are steroid use, eye trauma, genetics, radiation treatment, and diabetes.
Blank
None of the above causes would apply to me, but I've never been tested for diabetes. If it does turn out to be cataracts I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the info!
Blank
None of them applied to me either.  Even the genetics noone in my family has had a cataract. Just lucky.
Blank
Saw the ophthalmologist and definitely no cataracts, tests are completely normal. Dr. sees the slight inward turning of my right eye but says it could be normal and I am only noticing it now because of my vision problems. She has no explanation as to why I'm having these vision problems. Last night for example, every oncoming car's headlights shot out like lasers across my entire field of vision. Sort of like strobe lights. It was difficult to focus. Any ideas?
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
1731421_tn?1358826971
Timothy D McGarity, M.D.Blank
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D. P.C.
Columbia, MO
711220_tn?1251894727