Eye Care Expert Forum
Worsening Vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Worsening Vision
I see halos and glares around lights..it would only happen at night and now it happens during the day and even indoors. I also have noticed that when I cover my left eye colors appear faded. I am seeing an ophthalmologist in a couple of weeks. I have noticed that my right eye is slightly misaligned...could this be causing the problems with my vision?
It could be the cause and it sounds like you are having some of the classic symptoms of cataract. Blur, glare and hopefully temporary eye misalignment.Great News! Cataract Surgery is something to look forward to...we can actually make a part of your body function very well.
Best wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
www.tmcgaritymd.com
Thanks so much for the response. I should have mentioned I am 34 years old. I do wear contacts and have astigmatism. What causes cataracts in someone my age?
I am 30 and was recently diagonesed with a cataract. Some reasons a younger person may develop a cataract are steroid use, eye trauma, genetics, radiation treatment, and diabetes.
None of the above causes would apply to me, but I've never been tested for diabetes. If it does turn out to be cataracts I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the info!
None of them applied to me either.  Even the genetics noone in my family has had a cataract. Just lucky.
Saw the ophthalmologist and definitely no cataracts, tests are completely normal. Dr. sees the slight inward turning of my right eye but says it could be normal and I am only noticing it now because of my vision problems. She has no explanation as to why I'm having these vision problems. Last night for example, every oncoming car's headlights shot out like lasers across my entire field of vision. Sort of like strobe lights. It was difficult to focus. Any ideas?