Eye Care Community
X-rays

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

X-rays

Went to a dentist last year for a second opinion. He seemed to have his old fashioned x-ray machine pointed directly at my left eye. A few days later I noticed a white blotch on that eye when I looked in the mirror. Went to an opthamologist. He confirmed it was a cataract "on the outside of the lens" unlike what he said was a usual one inside a lens but refused to speculate on the cause. Just for my own peace of mind, is there any way the dental x-ray could hace caused this?  
NO

JCH III MD
Thank you very much for your reply! It is greatly appreciated! You are probably a caring and concerned MD to take the time. Too bad I live in NYC!
Well the cost of living is certainly much higher than here in Kansas City.

JCH III MD
I am the retired school teacher in NYC who corresponded with you on this website back in May 2008. At the time I was concerned that a dental x-ray (realized recently that I also had a CAT scan for a stress test near that time) had caused a white spot deep in the pupil of my left eye. You assured me that this was not the cause.
     Anyway, that white blotch is still there and that eye always seems to be dry and irritated and the vision has changed from -3.75 diopters gradually down to -2.00 diopters and that even seems to now be incorrect.
     Does this seem to be a progressing cataract? The white spot has not grown. I am even tempted to fly top KC and make an appointment to see you. Do you have any recommendations for a competent colleague eye specialist here in NYC? I was seeing one but his office gradually became a clinic----minimum 3 hour wait on any visit.  Thanks again,  Joe Mapelli (Henry4375 on Med Help)    ***@****  
There are a number of things that might cause a white spot on the cornea, fewer on the iris, and cataracts can cause white spots withiin the pupil.

Cataracts usually cause an increase in the amount of glasses myopia but it is not rare for the amount to decrease. Other causes such as diabetes or cornea disease should be excluded.

NYC has many capable, caring ophthal mologist.   You can use www.aao.org to locat an American Academy of Opht;halmology Fellow near you.

JCH MD
Thank you very much again! I will look on the recommended site to try to find  an eye expert in NYC. Sure you don't want to relocate your practice here?     Best regards,    Joe   ("Henry4375"
I am a child of the prarie and there's to much steel and asphalt in NYC for me. Cost of living is way too high. My East Coast daughter and West Coast daughter can't believe how inexpensive things are here on the Great Plains.

Best to you

JCH MD