Eye Care Expert Forum
Yellow Eyes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Yellow Eyes
Could you please tell me why the whites of my eyes have turned a pale yellow colour.  Not only this but i also have a few yellow patches on the iris of my eyes.  Can this be linked to the liver.
  PLEASE HELP ME I NEED TO KNOW.
If you truly have yellow discoloraton of the eyes it could be a sign of jaundice which is usually a sign of liver disease.  So the answer is yes it could definitely be a sign of liver disease.  If you just have a few small yellow bumps on the whites of the eyes this could be a pinguecula, a sign of prolonged sun exposure to the eye.  Make sure to have your yellow eyes checked out immediatly by an ophthalmologist and have a check up with your primary care doctor as well.

Michael Kutryb, MD
Board-Certified Ophthalmologist