Eye Care Expert Forum
Yellow and Blue lines with new RX/lenses

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I recently got a new prescription from Lens Crafters. During the eye exam I wasn't very confident with the doctor. He told me that I had a slight astigmatism in my left I - which I had never been told before. (Until then I had been seeing the same optometrist for about 10 years). I ordered two pairs of frames from Pearle Vision the same day with my new prescription. When I went in for the fitting I noticed that blue and yellow horizontal lines ran along every hard edge in the lower half of my field of vision. Also, my surroundings were quite distorted along the periphery of my visual field. Any object would appear closer in the upper half and further away in the lower half of my visual field. I told the tech. at Pearle Vision and they consulted with their optometrist who thought that it was probably a problem with the material. I was told that some people's eyes cannot adjust to poly-carbonate lenses and so they recommended that I upgrade to the high-index plastic lenses. I did so. However, the problem has not been resolved. I still see yellow and blue lines running along any hard edges (again, only in the lower half of the lense). Also, objects bend quite drastically. If I look at my keyboard through the lower half of my lens, the bottom edge curves upward like a smile. It's quite disorienting - making it difficult to walk up and down stairs, etc. I ordered two different pairs of lenses from PV and both show the same effects. However, it seems that it must be a problem with the lenses because I have had two friends try them on and they see the yellow/blue lines as well. Any ideas?

Thanks,
bvanderw346
Consider asking them to not polish the edge of the lens (somthing they do to make the lenses look nicer.)  Perhaps that might help.  If not try to just get your money back.

MJK MD
So would this correct the bending, tilting and other non-color related distortions as well?