Eye Care Community
Yellow eyes/ Sometimes red also

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Yellow eyes/ Sometimes red also

Hello, for about 4 years my eyes been yellow and sometimes red also. It's really beating my self esteem down. I finally went to the doctor and they did blood work on me. Everything came back normal. I didn't have Jaundice, or anything like that. He said I had Sickle Cell a trait or a mild case but if I had a mild case would'nt I have been in the hospital alot when I was younger and I would've known I had Sickle Cell right? In the summer time my eyes are even more yellowish especially in the lower bottom of my eyes. My eyes just arent white at all. I forgot to also say that since I do drink I thought maybe I messed my liver up but when the Doc did the test he said my liver was ok to. I do have problems with bright lights in malls etc..They tend to make my eyes water and sometimes burn. What do you think is wrong with me?
Most likely you have sun damage to the conjunctiva. This is very common. A collection of yellow tissue at the 3 and 9 oclock edge of the iris (limbus) is called a pinguecula.

Use Google IMAGES and search the term pinguecula. It will show you how it colors the eye yellow.

There is no way to make the eye totally white but you can wear a heat and UV blocking sunglasses in summer to keep them from getting worse.

JCH III MD