Eye Care Expert Forum
Yellow patch on whites of eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Yellow patch on whites of eye

I have noticed small slightly raised yellow patch
  on the whites of eye. One is on each eye
  towards the nose, RT eye patch is largest.
  My last visit to optometrist did not mention it,
  this was 2 years ago, and I believe it has developed
  since that time. Wondering what this is, have worn boston contacts
  for many years andI believe they told me this has caused some Flattening of the cornea.
  Thank you.

It sounds as though you are describing a pterygium or pingueculae.  This are benign or noncancerous growths that are induced by sun exposure or chronic irritation from wind.  It is usually recommended that you wear sunglasses to protect your eyes and keep these from getting irritated.  Pterygia may actually grow onto the surface of the cornea which could effect your vision, but this is uncommon.  The sunglasses will also protect the skin around your eyes.  These should be monitored for changes by an ophthalmologist or an experienced optometrist.
Good luck.  This information is provided for medical educational purposes only.

*Keywords:  Pterygia, pinguecula