Eye Care Expert Forum
Yellow skin pigmentation patches above eyes
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Yellow skin pigmentation patches above eyes

I am a 44 year old female in excellent health.  I do not smoke (never have) and limit my alcohol intake to less than 1 glass of wine a week.  A couple years ago I noticed yellowish patches of skin above my eyes, towards my nose and just inside the fold of skin above my eyes and below my brow.  I have asked my doctor about them but no one has been able to tell me what it is, why it appeared and what to do.  Do you have any idea what this is and if there is anything I can do to make it go away or lighten?
Related Discussions
233488_tn?1310696703
The skin discoloration is most often xanthelasma, which is cholesterol being deposited under the skin on the upper and lower lids in a "butterfly" distribution. Most people with this problem have elevated serum lipids (high blood fats especially cholesterol and triglycerides).  

You need a 12 or 14 hour fasting lipid profile. Then an appointment with your personal physician to discuss the results. If elevated you will likely need diet and exercise program. If that doesn't work in 2-3 months you may need to go on statins to lower the lipids.

In some cases with lipid lowering by medication, diet and exercise the xanthelasma will get smaller or at least stop growing.

In a few cases serum lipids are normal.

If your lipids are lowered and the xanthelasma don't go away completely they can be removed but the operation is often considered cosmetic and not coverered by insurance.

If you have them removed and your lipids are high they often reoccur.

JCH III MD Eye Physician & Surgeon
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker