Eye Care Community
Yellowish eyes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Yellowish eyes

Im in my late 30's . Had a CT scan in March 2010 on an unrelated matter and it showed mild diffuse liver consistant with fatty change.  So about 6 months ago I noticed the whites of my eyes have a yellow/ creamy color throughout and have been for about 6 months or so the whites of my eyes are not bright white looking anymore but have a yellow color.  Had bloodwork done at my Dr. because I thought something might be up with my liver after reading about yellow eyes on line and because I used to drink alcohol.  He said a mild fatty liver is not that uncommon and it was probably from drinking alcohol.  Needless to say I havent touched alcohol since finding that out.  
During the past 6 months I had bloodwork done twice and my bilirubin levels were the same both times total bilirubin=1.0-  normal range .2-1.0, and direct bilirubin = 0.1, normal range 0.0-0.2.  All LFT's and platelets and everything have been well within normal ranges.  Nothing has been elevated. I insisted on an abdominal ultrasound last month and nothing abnormal was detected on it.  Not even the mild fatty liver.   I've worn contacts lenses for 20 yrs. and my optometrist looked at my eyes and said I had some slight pingueculae but can it cover the entire white portion of the eye?  Or does pingueculae only cover the corners at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions?  If it were jaundiced eyes wouldnt my bilirubin level be higher than the normal range.  Not sure what to do tired of paying copays for insurance.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Pingueculas are at 3 and 9 o/c.  This is due to dryness and uv light.   That is why it is in the area of exposure.  

Your labs are normal.  The whites of the eye change with age without liver disease.

Dr. O.