Eye Care Expert Forum
Zig zag half halo

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Zig zag half halo

Yesterday right after i left work i was in my car driving when all of sudden i noticed
a zig zag pattern in my left and then after about 3 min or so it turned into a half circle
and everything outside of the half circle in my vision was really blurry and wavy.

I am not sure as to what this episode was but i do know that it's never happened
before.

After about 15min of this it finally went away and did not occur again for the rest of the night.

However, after i got home from driving i got a small head ache nothing crazy like but just
a sharp little pain in the top right of my head.

I am 26 years old (5' 11" and weight 200 lbs) and i do stare at a computer screen about 12-14 hours a day and even more so
on the weekends. I do smoke cigarettes however, i do not drink at all. I have a normal diet but really bad sinus's
all the time. I drink plenty of water during the day and have 1 cup of coffee a day.

Just wanted to put that out there to better my chances with a answer.

It sounds as if you have had an ocular migraine.  The zigzag lines and blurriness are typical.  This is not related to computer use.  Although these are usually harmless, and may not recur, it is wise to have a complete dilated exam with an ophthalmologist.  Also, quit smoking!  You are very young and don't want to have all the health problems in the future which cigarettes can cause.
Well received and many thanks for the advice and i will def. be making a appointment very very soon... Also, i will def. do my best on quit smoking... i have been smoking for quite some time however, latley i have been pushing myself away from smoking so much. Thank you so much for your concern.