Aa
A
A
Close
Zigzag lines in peripheral vision and stroke
I read that women who experience zigzag lines in their peripheral vision have a greater risk of stroke and heart disease. Is this true and if so, what course should I take to determine if I am at a higher risk and how I can prevent stroke? I am a 55 year old woman with no history of heart disease, but I do have hyperlipidemia controlled with medication. Thank you for any information you can provide.
Cancel
5 Answers
Page 1 of 1
711220_tn?1251894727
Yes, if due to migraine.  You need to discuss the particulars with your neurologist.

Dr. O.
Comment
Cancel
711220_tn?1251894727
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
What is it about the vision problem that would cause a person to have a higher risk of stroke or heart issues ?   I too have the zig zag lines in both eyes when I look into brightness,  such as being outside on a sunny day or even just looking out the window when it's sunny outdoors.  I too am 55,  what is the reason behind this for increasing the risk of future health concerns ?   Just curious for an answer .   I have told my eye doc  (m.d.) about this with each 2 year visit,  and he thinks nothing of it.  I've been experiencing this for about 10 years.  I do get optic migraine,  but only about one episode per year,  I do not get a headache with it.   Just the visual disturbance that lasts about 20 minutes,   followed by the strong desire for a long sleep.  
Thank you for reading .
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
711220_tn?1251894727
You should Google Migraine and strokes.  Basically, the visual aura is caused by constriction of the blood vessels in the visual cortex.  A smaller diameter blood vessel is prone to closing off (heart attach in the heart, stroke in the brain).

Dr. O.
Comment
Cancel
711220_tn?1251894727
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
That makes sense to me. I also suffer from a herniated C4-C5 disc. Could pressure from the hernia be constricting a vessel?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
That makes sense to me. I also suffer from a herniated C4-C5 disc. Could pressure from the hernia be constricting a vessel?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Zigzag lines in peripheral vision and stroke
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703