Eye Care Expert Forum
accommodative esotropia

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

accommodative esotropia
I have a son that has accommodative esotropia, he is 6 yrs old. He has been treated for therapy for about 3yrs by an optomitrist. He currently wears glasses because he is farsighted.  Our opthamoligist has stated that surgery is needed to align the eyes. My wife and I want to look for another alternatives. We are in the middle, we do not know if we should go with the surgery or continue with the therapy. I would like to hear everyones suggestions .
DItch the optometrist. See two good Eye MDs at least one of whom is a pediatric ophthalmologist. If they recommend surgery then you should probably have it done.

REMEMBER: surgery is NOT a substitute for glasses with accommodative esotrophia. If the glasses (often bifocals) keep the eye straight then surgery is NOT indicated. However it they cross even with glassses then surgery is usally necessary AND GLASSES ARE STILL USUALLY NEEDED after surgery.

JCH MD