Eye Care Expert Forum
acetone fingernail polish remover in eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I got a very small amount of acetone finger nail polish remover in my eye and it burned for maybe a couple of seconds and after that it stopped burning, but I still flushed it with water.  I was still worried so I looked online and most people said that you should flush your eyes for at least 15-20 minutes so I went and flushed it a couple of more times but every time I flushed it burned, but once my eye dried it stopped.  I wanted to know if my eye is going to be okay because I don't have insurance and I really am not trying to go to the hospital because my eye is not burning, but if there is a chance that I could have damage that could be permanent I guess I have no choice but to go to the doctor.  I also wanted to know if it was okay to put eye drops in my eye.  If someone could help me I would greatly appreciate it> Thanks
Tags: eyes, help me
If you want to go to your county hospital, they will help you. Not all ERs can help with eyes. A county hospital should be able to.

I am not a doctor, but I am an experienced patient with vision damane. If I had put that kind of thing in my eye, I would have gone immediately. Please, you do not understand damaged vision unless you have expereinced it. Please prtect your vision. You can pay the hosptial over time.

Call the poison control center 18002221222, and they can give you feedback. I call them with any question like this. They are helpful. Maybe they can tell you flushing is enough. But I would call twice and talk to two people. It's called double checking.

I hope you are better soon.

Anna
Bumping the question up.