Eye Care Community
adult onset esotropia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

adult onset esotropia

I have recently been diagnosed with esotropia in my left eye.  This came about in a matter of two days.  The first day I couldn't seem to focus on objects and when I woke up the next day I was cross-eyed.  I have always had 20-10 vision and no one can tell me what is causing this or if it will go away on its own.  Let me give you a little history on me.  On April 12th, 2008 I gave birth to my first baby (Perfect birth with no problems), When my son was 6 weeks old I started a "mini pill" birth control only containing progesterone, When my son was 7 weeks old I started getting little headaches in the inside of my left eye and I noticed during the night I would have a little trouble seeing the time on my digital alarm clock. (I thought this was just from being tired from nighttime feedings), then last weekend I had a stranger stalk me and my baby and the police believe he was planning on doing more than just that.. (so I don't know if I was traumatized) The same night that happened was when I started being unable to focus.  I have never before had any eye problems, however, I have had sinus surgeries on the sinus cavities along side of my left eye (but this was almost 2 years ago).  The day I started having double vision I was admitted into the hospital for three days where I had a CT Scan, MRI, MRI with contrast, EEG, EKG, Heart X-Ray, Blood work and urine tests and everything came back negative and normal.  My eye doctor said he has no idea and to come back in two months.  I have been trying to do online research on this, but most pages speak of only esotropia in children.  I was wondering if this problem sometimes goes away on it's own and if there is anything that has recently happened to me that might be the cause.  Anything you can tell me will help.  I have now had this problem for one week today and it's really hard to take care of my 2-month old son when I see two of him when both eyes are open (when I have an eye closed or look to the far right I see okay)..  Oh, I have also stopped taking my birth control (about 3 days ago)....  Thank you for taking your time with me.. it's very appreciated!
You do not have the type of strabismus that infants and children develop. You likely have a cranial nerve paralysis probably a left 6th nerve. You should see a neuro-ophthalmologist.  Many of these resolve and clear up without a definite cause being found.

JCH III MD
I also developed double vision as an adult, so I can really understand your frustration.  There are many possible causes; in my case it involved an eye muscle problem.  If your eye doctor has no idea what's causing your condition, it's definitely time to consult someone else (a board-certified ophthalmologist, not an optometrist), preferrably someone with lots of experience.  Is there a teaching hospital in your area?  If so, I'd suggest that you get your doctor to set up an appointment for you to get a second opinion with one of the senior ophthalmologists on staff.  (You could do this yourself, but you'd probably have to wait several weeks to be seen.)  I definitely don't think that you should wait around for two months to see the first doctor again.  Good luck.    
-
Thank you both so much.  I am so frustrated and saddened by this who ordeal!  Thank you for replying so quickly!
whole ordeal I mean... sorry I have trouble seeing what I type!! =)
The double vision I experienced just about drove me crazy.  Get your doctor to set up an appointment for you with a neuro-ophthalmologist, as Dr. Hagan suggested.  When a doctor makes the referral, you get seen so much quicker.  Have all your medical records sent to the new doctor.  Best wishes.