Eye Care Expert Forum
alarming number of floaters
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

alarming number of floaters

i see floaters but they are unnoticable unless i stare then they float down and i can only see it in the center as it goes outwards it fades away. when i squint really hard i can see areas of 100s of floaters and loads in the middle. so i can see 1000s of floaters in random areas. it looks like a zoomed out onion skin under a microscope. the eye doctor told me that its my vision seeing the oils on my eye. so if it is how do i get it off my eye. i was 14 5 days ago. and i dont need glasses or anything. i have fine vision/
1735584_tn?1311113373
Not sure if your visit included a complete dilated exam, but if not, make sure you have a thorough evaluation of your retina by an ophthalmologist to exclude any retinal tears that may present as floaters.  Ocular surface disease does not typically present as floaters and is usually treated with over-the counter artificial tears.
3 Comments
Blank
i had a complete dilated exam and he ruled out retinal tear. and then said something about oils on the tear film .
Blank
1735584_tn?1311113373
Typically if there is a problem with the oily layer of the tear film, it's usually due to the meibomian gland orifices being obstructed along the eyelid.  Perhaps he/she is referring to the fact that you have thick foamy secretions due to meibomian gland dysfunction, the treatment for which would include warm compresses along the lid margins, and lid hygiene with either over-the-counter lid scrubs or homemade scrubs using q-tips dipped in a mixture of baby shampoo and water applied to the lid margin.  Sometimes this can also be supplemented with an antibiotic drop (Azasite), ointment (erythromycin), or pill (Doxycycline).  
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700
Doreen Fazio, M.D.Blank
Amerisight Institute and Valley Eye Center
Van Nuys, CA
MedHelp Health Answers