Eye Care Community
alcon blue filtering can a clear work in other eye?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I had the Alcon blue light  filtering soft lens replacement (cataract) 3 yrs ago and now it is time to do the other eye. I find that night driving is good but the lens seems to make things appear enhanced - almost like in high def or  2D and the intensity of the contrast with this lens can be unsettling to me at times. I I have never been a fan of blue blocker or polarized sun glasses as the vision felt altered to me.  I am not a high contrast person and like things more muted. I know that is not the standard feeling & most would love this enhanced vision. I was corrected to 20/20 so the vision is very clear. When the cataract in the other eye was smaller it worked well to balance the intensity of the contrast of the replacement lens. That eye was 20/25 (now 20/70 due to the cataract) and the other eye is 20/20. I am concerned that it may be y jarring to me to have both eyes with enhanced contrast with another Alcon blue blocker. If the new lens brings me to say 20/25 will it soften the vision or is it the atmospheric correction that sharpens the contrast regardless?  Also, does anyone have a clear IOL in one eye and a  blue blocker in the other eye? I don't like glare and I do feel the Alcon cuts glare. It has attributes no doubt.  I am just trying to determine what intensity having 2 will be like. Dr. Hagen do you like the blue light filters over the clear with UV protection? I read the article  online.
PG
Tags: blue, clear, vision
The important thing is how you adjust to the IOL not anyone else. Blue blockers may be fine for tens of thousands of people but not for you. That is called an "idiosyncratic reaction".

You've been looking through it for 3 years. If you don't like it ask your surgeon to use a clear UV blocking IOL in the other eye.

JCH MD
I am considering asking for a clear but am not certain that the full colors I would see would not be as jarring of an issue since the eyes would not see the same. Also I wonder about the possibility of seeing less well in the dark as I age if I have 2 blue blockers - does this seem valid?Also the sleep issue mentioned in the article. I was hoping that someone may have had one of each and share the experience.  I have tried losing one eye and looking at the flor in low light conditions - there is a difference but the cataract grabs light with glare so it is not a fair way to test.
Also I was wondering if anyone else experienced this with the blue block and then adjusted well to 2 of them. I know most people have the other eye done shortly after the 1st and for me there is a long period between. I was hopeful that perhaps someone had heard of this and may share their experience with either one with and one without or adjusting to both.
=
Hi Peggy,
CAn you put the link to the article on the blue blocking lens on this site. I would like to read it as I am going in for consultation for my cataract surgery tomorrow. Is the eye that has the lens, crystal clear as compared to the other eye? Maybe with the same lens your eyes will adjust to the clarity. Has this been an issue from the time you had the lens implanted three years ago?
-
I will look for the link to post - since my post I have researched and I believe it is the aspheric difference that si so difficult for me. I do appreciate the clarity but it is jarring and I am really concerned that even with a less corrected vision if we do that I may not like that intensity. I don't set lots of contrast on things and wI have often had eye fatigue in that eye. I am now wondering if anyone has one aspheric and one not. I did find a small study where most people could not detect a difference form one eye to the other but the ones who did pref'd the non-aspheric vision. My guess is the ones who did perceive the difference did so because aspheric was not natural feeling to them .It is very clear and nice for night driving but intense and almost t 2 dimensional to me.
Dr. Hagen do you have thoughts as to a non aspheric may be good in the other eye to soften the aspheric enhanced contrast experience.
http://www.aao.org/publications/eyenet/201103 cataract.cfm?RenderForPrint=1&

It comes up dark but if you highlight the whole thing it is readable