Eye Care Expert Forum
allergic conjunctivitis or...?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

allergic conjunctivitis or...?
I am 24, F. Yesterday  my left eye began to swell and I have a unilateral fullness sensation around the eye. I thought it was related to my allergies. But now I do not know if I have allergies either. My nose is runny (only on the left side), with really bad itching, sneezing and burning and clear discharges. My left eye has been affected. It is red, and has watery discharges. I do not have any photophobia, itching, headache, or sore throat. What is this? I am beginning to think my brain is swelling. Thank you.
It is possible that this is allergic, but it is unusual that it only involves one side. I would see an ophthalmologist for a complete exam, to rule out other possibilities. In the mean while, you could try cold compresses and chilled artificial tear drops (Refresh or Optive), to see if these give some relief until you can get an appointment.