Eye Care Community
amblyopia
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

amblyopia

Okay, so I was diagnosed with amblyopia (in the left eye) when I was about 6.  I patched the unaffected eye for quite some time, which eventually resulted in largely improved vision in the amblyopic eye.  From about 20/80 to almost 20/30.  I am 24 now, and ever since I was about 14 or so, the vision in my left eye has gradually worsened.  I am going to an eye doctor tomorrow, as I am not sure exactly what my vision has become in that eye, but I'm going to estimate that it's probably at about 20/60 now.  I actually see better out of my right eye alone than I do out of both of my eyes together.  Anyway, I'll get to the questions.  I wasn't familiar with details about amblyopia until a few days ago when I started reading more about it, and I want to know if I understand correctly...Am I correct in saying that amblyopia is a treatable, but not a curable, condition?  In other words, if I had amblyopia as a child (even though it was treated), does that mean I have amblyopia forever?  And if so, as an adult, is there any hope whatsoever of getting my vision in the affected eye back to what it was after being treated as a child?  Do I have to go through wearing a patch again or using drops (as I understand they have now) to treat it?  Is there any kind of surgery that would help at all?  I have also read that using contact lenses/glasses do not effectively treat this condition.  Is that true?  Sorry so many questions, but I have never really tried to learn much about this until I realized I feel like my left eye has become obselete to my vision.  If anyone knows anything and can help to answer some of these questions, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.