Eye Care Expert Forum
anesthesia vision change

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

anesthesia vision change
Can anesthesia cause temporary and permanent vision change
Sure, yes, but you would expect it to be a short term problem for hours or even just a few days.  Also the stress of surgery and medications used for the original problem can cause blurred vision.  Permanant vision loss would not be expected unless you happened to have an attack of glaucoma or some type of vascular blockage to the eye around the time of surgery which would not necessarily be from the anesthesia.  If you have a specific question go ahead and ask it.

MJK MD
I just had surgery a week ago yesterday under general anesthesia. My surgeon is surprised that I still have blurred vision, because as you said, it generally lasts only a few hours or days. However, it's now been 8 days and I have a constant headache along with blurred vision. Should I consult with my ophthalmologist rather than my surgeon? If this is a passing thing, I'm not so concerned, but could it be permanent?

Thank you,
a concerned patient
A related discussion, Can anasthesia cause blurred vision was started.
A related discussion, Eye problem after anesthesia was started.