Eye Care Community
anisocoria in my newborn

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

anisocoria in my newborn

My 2 month old daughter has been diagnosed with anisocoria, her pupils are different sizes. one is much larger then the other. test have been done, no underlying reason so far. I believe there has to be a reason. Its not normal, so what is causing it?
they say there is no treatment available for anisocoria. Is this true??? They cant even tell me what caused it. She was born with it. Her eyes looked normal to me the first month, I just noticed it a few weeks ago. Docs say it has always been there, I just noticed it because her eyes are getting lighter blue.
no one in my family or my husbands has a eye issue like this.
I am very worried about my daughter fitting in at school etc, you know how mean kids are. And the guilt I live with is killing me inside. Did I cause this somehow?
My question is, is there any treatment available for anisocoria? Surgery?eye drops?Pills?
Would the patch method work? Maybe force the weak eye to work?
Can I get her special made blue colored contacts to help blend or hide the condition so people cant notice it as easy? to cover the bigger pupil?
So preschool and school will go easier for her.
Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

In order to answer your question I would have to examine the eye. You need to see a pediatric ophthalmologist in the very near future. I can tell you that you did nothing to cause this and that patching will not help it. The whole eye(s) need to be checked.

Ask your pediatrician to refer you to a pediatric ophthalmologist ASAP. You can also find one near you at www.aao.org

JCH III MD
Thank you for your quick response. I have seen a pediatric opth.  they are the ones who told me she had anisocoria.  but i really didnt get any info from them. they told me she has aniscoria, they dont see anything wrong, there is no treatment, have her looked at again in 1 year. I did my research even about this via the internet. the doc was not rude, just not informative. He made it out to be like its no big deal. but I think a pupil that big has to be a underlying problem.  Do you reccomend me see a different doc for a second opinion? how about a pediatric neurologist?  
Could you please answer, can she wear contacts to help cover the eye so they blend better?
I have no idea from your description how large the pupil is and whether it's round. Some pupils don't form correctly and it looks like a keyhole (iris coloboma).

I think you would fee better and get some piece of mind if you saw a second pedatric ophthalmologist. If you have trouble finding one go to www.aao.org

Also about 10% of the population have minor differences in the size of the pupil (physiologic ansocoria).

The most important thing is the health of the rest of the eye and having good vision throughout life.

JCH III MD