anterior basement membrane dystrophy -surgery?
Evidently I have had anterior basement membrane dystrophy for awhile, although this was not communicated to me. It probably developed after lasik surgery seven years ago when I also developed dry eyes.  In the fall 2007 the episodes of ABMD increased with my having days where it was difficult to read and I experienced a lot of ghosting and blurring.  I have seen three doctors.  One wants to do PRK ; I will  not do this.  One wants to wash the eye with alcohol and debride and the other wants to debride (no alcohol) and then burr.  Other than a few times I have not had much pain with this condition. Since starting Restatis my tear production has increased.  Are there other things I should /could do before having any surgery?  Is surgery even indicated?

ABMD is extremely common and most people are completely unaware they have it. IF you will use the search feature and search "recurrent corneal erosion" it will outline previous discussions of both the surgical and non surgical treatment of the condition. Most patients do well with using MURO 128 ointment in the eyes at bedtime, not sleeping under a fan or with hea/AC blowing across the face, being careful in the morning not to rub eyes and use of artifical tears on awake and 2-4 times/day or MURO 128 2% drops 4 times/day.

JCH II MD