Eye Care Community
anyone who undergone surgery for diplopia?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

anyone who undergone surgery for monocular diplopia?
im planning to undergo this kind of surgery.
what is the result?
who conducted the operation?
please let me know.
im very nervous.
thanks and God bless!
I think there is some confusion. Monocular diplopia means with one eye covered the uncovered eye sees ghosting or multiple immages. The causes are corneal astigmatism, corneal disease, cataracts and macular problems.

Is this what you have? Or do you mean that one eye is not straight and you see double and surgery is going to be done on the misaligned eye to see clearly?

If the latter the operation is quite common, a return to normal acitivities is the rule and in most of the cases the double vision is cured or at least improved.

These types of operations are done eye Eye MDs that so strabismus surgery or strabismus specialists that do this type of work exclusively.

JCH III MD
my 1sy neurologist told me that it is diplopia..
and the second 1 said its lateral lateral palsy..
is there a difference between diplopia and lateral palsy..?
what is done for diplopia?
and what is done for left lateral palsy?
the left eye is misaligned.. it started 4 years ago.. when i dont cover my right eye, i see double image.
and when i look at my left side, right eye is covered, left is not, it causes me so much pain and there is the urge of vomitting.
when i cover my right eye i see normal using my left eye but, its not clear and it causes me so much pain.
So you DO NOT have monocular diplopia. You have diplopia. This type of surgery is best done by a Eye MD that specializes in in strabismus. Because most cases are seen in children they are sometimes called pediatric ophthalmologists but almost all do adult strabismus.

A lateral rectus palsy also know as a 6th cranial nerve palsy means that the muscle that moves your eye towards the ear on the left side is weak. Your double visions should be worse looking left then looking right and worse looking far away than in reading.  Diplopia is a symptom, lateral rectus pasy is a finding or diagnosis.

There are several surgical procedures that are done. It can help greatly but generally will not make the eye move list it was normal.

As one of your neurologists to refer you to a pediatric/strabismus specialist or find one at www.aao.org that's near you

JCH III MD
I had eye muscle surgery to correct double vision two years ago for reasons unrelated to your problem, performed by a board-certified ophthalmologist who specialized in strabismus.  My double vision had been driving me crazy, and the surgery worked like magic.  Driving home from the surgery center that morning (no, I wasn't behind the wheel!), I could see (literally) that the double vision was gone.  The surgery was totally painless; I didn't even need an aspirin afterward.  I went shopping at the mall that afternoon (wearing sunglasses to cover a red eye), and I could drive the next day.  If your doctor thinks that you are a good candidate for surgery, go for it!
doctor, i surf the net.
when i cover my right eye, i dont see the specific object clearly. when i cover the left eye and use right, i see the object very very clear.
my left eye is misaligned, my neurologist referred me to a neuro ophtha.
i would like to know, how many surgeries do i have to undergo to make my left eye aligned?
thnak you so much doc!
you are a big help for me..
This is just a generalization and you will need to get specifics from your strabismus surgeon. About 20% of strabismus cases require a second operation and 5 percent require a third.

JCH III MD
thanks for the info.. :)
did you undergo surgery for several times..?
how about recovering from it..?
did it take you so long..?
i see..
who usually does that kind of surgery..?
ophtha..? neuro ophtha..? or is there a specific strabismus surgeon..?
thanks for the patience doc.. :)
did they cut muscles..?
could you please give me a brief description on the procedure..?
a big THANKS! :)
Before the surgery, I was told that there was a 75% chance that it would correct my double vision.  I had only one surgery, which took about 30-40 minutes.  One muscle in my left eye was shortened.  Your surgeon will give you information about your procedure, and you can find out more online, if you are interested.  I had adjustable sutures, which were set in the OR immediately after the surgery, while I was awake.  I was not awake during the surgery (although I would have preferred to be), but they used IV sedation with propanol, from which you wake up very quickly.  I was on my way home from the surgery center, feeling fine, about 30 minutes after leaving the operating room.  I went shopping that afternoon, wearing sunglasses to cover my red eye.  I could drive/return to work the next day, although I ended up taking the rest of the day off after my followup appointment with the surgeon--I went to the movies!   I had to use eye drops for a couple of weeks.  I experienced no pain at all.  Having the surgery turned out to be a wonderful decision for me.  Best of luck to you!
i see.. actually, im located in the Philippines not in the USA.
what kind of surgeon conducted your surgery..?
thank you so much for your time.. :)
------------------
doc, im located in the philippines. i tried the website that you provided but my search turned to zero..
An ophthalmologist who specialized in strabismus did my surgery.  He was a pediatric ophthalmologist, but he also saw adults who had eye muscle problems.
--------------------------
i see.. thank you so much!
happy holidays!!! :)
-------------------------