Eye Care Expert Forum
astigmatism in toddlers

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

astigmatism in toddlers
Dear All,

My son is currently coming to 3 years old and recently we noticed that he 'blinked' his eyes quite hard at times ..which seems not normal thus we brought him to an optician  and the optician say that he have mild myopia and seems high astigmatism where the machine reaching was -1.75 in right and -2.00 in the left . ISthis consider very high astig ? I would like to know if reading from the machine is correct ? I wa planning to bring him to an eye child doctor for checking . Nvertheless as i am highly mypohia and with astig , i would like to know if it is genetic .

Any solution for him at this young age and is glasses is required as i reckon he might reject it.

Thank you very much
Dear aspella,

I would recommend that you seek the care of a pediatric eyeMD to determine the cause of his blinking.  This may not be related to his need for glasses.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California