atrophic retinal hole
Hi Doc,
I recently went to my optometrist for a yearly exam.  Meanwhile I just spent the last month with 4 visits to the retinal specialist with a pvd and weiss ring and huge floater.  I still have flashes at night.  So that news was not enough.  My optometrist just noticed that I had a atrophic retinal hole in my lattice degeneration.  He said that he sees lots and lots of people with this type of retinal hole in the lattice and they are not treated and they usually close on their own.  He even went on to say that 1000 years ago people would have a retinal tear or hole and not treated.  They would a lot of times heal on their own.  Modern medicine has us running to the eye doctors every day.  The story of my life.

When I returned home from the optometrist I got on your website.  Of course I did not like what I read: laser or vitrectomy for retinal holes.  I was scared.  Doc told me the internet can be good and bad for information.  I called my retinal specialist who then called my optometrist and told him that the retinal tear was not a concern and that it showed up a year ago on a retinal exam.  I originally thought it was from my pvd.  But it was not.  

So why the difference in opinions here?  Do I just have the type of retinal hole that they monitor over the years as to others that need immediate treatment?  I have no symptoms from the retinal hole.

I have so much anxiety now over my eyes now.  I never used to before.  

thanks.
Small round holes without traction on them often do not require treatment especially if on the lower half of the eye. Discuss with the retima MD next time you're in there.

Worrisom holes are usually large, have traction, often on the upper part of the eye and horseshoe in shape.

JCH MD