Eye Care Community
baby eye exam

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

baby eye exam

After the eye exam of my 20 months old son, the pediatric ophthalmologist told me that my son is having astigmatism and nearsightedness and suggested following prescription for eyeglasses:
R: -3.25 (SPH), +2.50 (CYL), 086 degree Axis
L:  -3.75 (SPH), +3.25 (CYL), 092 degree Axis
My son is not very cooperative in wearing glasses, can you please tell me if these eye problems are mild to postpone the need of eyeglass till the age of 2-3 years or strong enough to make my kid used to it.
Not wait. This is significant amount of myopia and astigmatism. If you do not persist in having the child wear them the vision in both eyes may be subnormal due to refractive amblyopia.

Discuss with the peds ophthalmologist things you can do to get the child to wear them.

JCH MD