Eye Care Community
bells palsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

bells palsy

My son is 19 months old he got bells palsy when he was 10 months old he has been to many places and no one seems to be helping my son out that much and now i dont think he has bells palsy anymore but i can see his right eye doesn't shut and open up like the left eye, please do you have any suggestions?
duplicate.
Has he been evaluated for narcolepsy? Narcolepsy commonly manifests as what looks like Bells Palsy, but is actually called cataplexy (if that's what your son's problem is).

I went undiagnosed for about 15 years, until I finally saw a sleep specialist and she nailed the diagnosis right away. The vast majority of doctors have absolutely no idea what it is or what it looks like, and no routine lab tests, MRI, CT scan, x-ray or anything of that nature will detect it. 75% of people with narcolepsy never get diagnosed in their lifetime.

It doesn't look the way you think it looks. Common misdiagnoses in adults are depression, epilepsy, and migraines. I struggled for years to find an answer, and now I finally have one. It can be caused by viruses or certain vaccines (for example, H1N1 vaccine was notorious for causing a swath of narcolepsy cases in children).

I believe I am genetically predisposed and contracted narcolepsy after either my MMR or my T/D vaccine when I was a young teenager. I was misdiagnosed with ADD, and then about a decade and a half later, a few particularly bad sinus infections, I ended up with narcolepsy that actually included cataplexy (random muscle weakness that can either be isolated or widespread). It manifested first in my face, as a sort of Bells Palsy, but when I paid closer attention I realized it happened to my other muscles, though it was very hard to notice.

It took me awhile to figure out what my real problem was and it was years before the cataplexy set in. Have him evaluated, maybe?

This is a defunct discussion from 2011