Eye Care Community
best type of sunglasses for cataracts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

best type of sunglasses for cataracts

Hello, I am in my late thirties and have posterior subcapsular cataracts secondary to high myopia. The cataracts are at present too small and not causing frequent / large enough problems to be operated on - however I do find that in bright sunlight and when the sun hits my eye at a certain angle, vision is compromised. For example, standing within the house looking out of the window, with my contact lenses in, I can read a licence plate on a car parked a long way up the street - outside when the sun is at certain angles I can't se eit from a good distance. I should remark here that i don't drive and am using this as an example.

Are there any types of sunglasses (eg blue tint, polarised etc.) that are helpful to people with catarcts that i can use until I get IOL's? Thank you.
With a PS cataract anytime the pupil gets small the vision gets blurred. So bright light and reading are problems. At night when the pupil is large you can "see around the edge' of the PSC.

In bright light you want to reduce the amount of light entering the pupil so: a hat with wide brim, "goggle" type of sunglasses that fit over your presecription glasses or contacts with side shields and dark glass above the lens are best. They come in green and gray and varying shades of tint. The thickest tint you can tolerate is best. All optical shops sell them and many sporting good stores do also since fishermen and tennis players often use them.

JCH MD
thank you very much - just to ocnfirm, do you mean the clip on type lenses that clip on to existing frames?
No they are not clip on. They fit over your regular glasses. They are a second pair of glasses. When you wear them you have on two pair. Your regular perscription clear glasses and your NOIR type sunglsses. One of the largest manufacturers is NOIR  go to their website or goodle one of their styles  NoIR Solar Shield Fit Overs Dark Gray U22 Sharpens Focus   They are very inexpensive. You can also goodle cataract surgery sunglasses.

JCH MD
Brilliant - thank you!
You're welcome and good luck. My experience is that as long as you can function reasonably well you should consider wating on ssurgery because of the very high risk of retinal detachment. If you are male your risk could be 10-15%

JCH MD

a final question. Would polarised lenses help at all? I am in the Uk so sadly can't get noir...I have found some similar, but they have a variety of tints..orange, yellow, brown .. http://www.visionenhancers.co.uk/tinted-glassespolarised-sunglasses-cocoons-low-vision-uv-filter-sunglasses-c-11_61.html
Polarized makes them quite a bit more expensive. Polarized works well around water, snow, sand reflections. It would be ideal for you to look through a pair that is polarized vs non polarized and see if its worth your money.

JCH MD
Today, there are a number of types of lens implants used for vision correction after Cataract Surgery that can help patients become much less dependent and sometimes completely free of the need for eyeglasses after Cataract Surgery. Selecting the best type of lens implant for each patient really depends on his or her individual vision correction goals and lifestyle.
I do find that polarized lenses reduce glare and make my eyes a bit more comfortable.  I purchased mine from Dioptics.  If you google Dioptics Sunware, they have a website from which you may order Solar Shield fitovers (or one of a number of other sunglass types) that are polarized.  I believe they run about $30, but there are frequently promotions that allow you to get 2 pairs for the price of one.  Also, check with your ophthalmologist -- when I had my cataract surgery I was provided a brochure for Dioptics.

=
thank you all!
-