Eye Care Expert Forum
birth control pills and hard contact lenses

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

45 years ago, I used hard contact lenses  and used them for 15 years.  During this time I was also on birth control pills.  After the fifteen years, I developed a "greasy film" on the lenses and NOTHING would remove it.  My doc at the time told me he found out in his practice that this happened frequently as the pills changed the metabolism  in the body and it was my body's way of rejecting the lenses.  Now, I'm 70 and just had a cataract removed and a lense put in myh eye. I can't believe it, but it is also getting filmy.  Could this be??  I needed to get the cataract off, but I don't know how to deal with this after so long.  Any suggestions as to a better outcome???  Thanks
I do not think the same mechanism is operating in the operative eye as with your contact lenses.  There are many reasons for blurred or filmy vision after cataract surgery, such as macular edema (fluid in the center of the retina), or posterior capsule opacity (haze which develops in the membrane, or posterior capsule of the original lens, behind the intraocular lens).  Both of these issues are easily treatable.  A complete exam with your ophthalmologist should reveal the problem.