Eye Care Expert Forum
black floater after minor eye injury

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

black floater after minor eye injury

My 3 yr old son hit me in the eye about 2 weeks ago and when I woke up the next day I  could see two black floaters in my vision.
I didn't think much about the injury at the time and it wasn't very painful so Iam a bit surprised as to how it would have caused these floaters.
I didn't have them before the injury as they are black and can easily be seen when looking at a computer screen or any white surface.
I went to an optometrist who looked at my eye using a slit lamp non dilated and he said my retina is ok.

Just wondering how these floaters would have been caused and would they get absorbed in time?

Is it possible I could have got an internal hamhourage and the floaters are blood?

You need to see an ophthalmologist for a dilated exam, to be sure the floaters are not due to a retinal tear.  The floaters could be hemorrhage, but a dilated exam with an ophthalmologist is the only way to tell. An undilated exam with an optometrist is not adequate.

I had a dilated eyw exam and there were no tears or retinal issues. The floaters are still there though