Eye Care Community
black lines after cataract surgery
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

black lines after cataract surgery

Sorry but I did not finish my question a few mintues ago.  so please excuse my repeating myself.  I had multifocal lens
implanted for cataract surgery two years ago.   I was left with black lines (like parenthesis) at the outer corner of each eye.  They are not visible to someone looking at the eye, but I see them constantly.  The surgeon kept telling me they
would disappear -  but they haven't.  I went for a second opinion last week & this opthamalogist said it was the multifocal
implant & it was one of the reasons he does not recommend them.  He said another surgery would be 'iffy'. He mentioned drops for the eyes but they can burn & he seemed reluctant to prescribe them.
I wrote my original surgeon a note telling him of my unhappiness with him & the surgery.  He called me immediately &
begged me to come in & let him look at my eyes again saying that he does not want to leave me with such a problem
& insists there are other remedies such as a laser treatment that takes just a few minutes.
Anyone here have any ideas?   thanks.....Terry
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Yes your problem is likely a form of dysphotopsia due to a multifocal IOL *(use the search feature and archives to read about dysphotopsia).

Causes can be IOL decentered, capsule opaque or just due to intrinsic problems with the IOL.

Treatment can consist of IOL reposition or exchange, Yag capsulotomy, glasses with anti-reflection coating, trial of alphagan P or very weak pilocarpine to reduce pupil size.

Your surgeon sounds like he would really like to help you. Many complain that isn't the case.

JCHMD
Blank
Thank you for your quick response to my question regarding black lines after cataract
surgery.  I agree my doctor does want to help. .... if he suggests removal of the multifocal lens how dangerous is this procedure? My eyes are really uncomfortable now but I don't want to do anything dangerous & the other surgeon said this could be 'iffy'.  I suppose I am jumping to conclusions before he suggests anything like this, but I want to be mentally prepared.  
I appreciate your advice & this column.
Thanks again.
Terry
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Life is dangerous, surgery always involves some danger (just like driving). Only a Eye MD that examines your eyes can give the pros, cons and risks involved

JCH MD
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank